Q E II is coming!

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Q E II is coming!

Postby vivian maxine on March 31st, 2017, 6:30 am 

How many remember Queen Elizabeth's (fictitious) letter that went the rounds of the world a few hundred times after the Florida ballot tags debacle? I keep thinking of it as I read these news stories and watch what is going on in our country today. It seems so fitting. Does anyone want to see it again?
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: Q E II is coming!

Postby toucana on March 31st, 2017, 10:27 am 

I think she was referring to this one:
https://starrgazr.wordpress.com/2008/02/15/john-cleeses-letter-to-america/

If you wish to re-route the thread onto a topical news story concerning disagreements over sovereignty,then you could try this story published in The Independent newspaper today.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/jean-claude-juncker-ohio-independence-donald-trump-brexit-eu-president-european-commision-a7659471.html

"EU chief Jean-Claude Juncker has threatened to campaign for the state of Ohio to become independent from Washington if Donald Trump keeps encouraging countries to leave the European Union. .."
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby vivian maxine on March 31st, 2017, 10:47 am 

Thank you, toucana. That is it. Better, in fact, as my copy/paste to forums fails more often than it succeeds.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Eclogite on March 31st, 2017, 11:45 am 

toucana » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:27 pm wrote:"EU chief Jean-Claude Juncker has threatened to campaign for the state of Ohio to become independent from Washington if Donald Trump keeps encouraging countries to leave the European Union. .."
This tale is probably untrue, but it ought not to be.

When Alaska was campaigning to become a fully fledged state of the United States, Texas objected. They didn't wish to become only the second largest state in the Union. Supposedly the Alaskans had a quiet word with them threatening to apply to become two new states, thus relegating Texas to third place.
Eclogite
Forum Moderator

Postby vivian maxine on March 31st, 2017, 12:07 pm 

This story is true, so far I can see. It was posted at Facebook and source is given as the AP.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2017/03/30/ ... mended--79

Illinois House committee endorsed two online privacy measures. The regulations placed restrictions on what companies such as Comcast and Verizon can do with information. It also gives its customers the right to see what is collected about their internet activities and what is done with the information.

While this article and others I've seen suggest that states will have to take over the privacy rights protection in view of what is being done in D.C., I ask: Can it succeed on something like the internet which has no borders?

Edit: Slight correction. I did not get this from Facebook but from CBS St Louis. They indicate that it came from Facebook.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on March 31st, 2017, 3:08 pm 

When Alaska was campaigning to become a fully fledged state of the United States, Texas objected. They didn't wish to become only the second largest state in the Union. Supposedly the Alaskans had a quiet word with them threatening to apply to become two new states, thus relegating Texas to third place.

A bit deflating to realize a Scotsman knows more U.S. history than I do.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby vivian maxine on March 31st, 2017, 3:24 pm 

Braininvat » March 31st, 2017, 2:08 pm wrote:

A bit deflating to realize a Scotsman knows more U.S. history than I do.

Didn't you know the Scots invented education? The Scots also invented steam engines and shipping and goodness knows what else. So much that I can't remember, being a long-time American. Oh, didn't the Scots write our Constitution? Fourteen, wasn't it? Fourteen Scots sat in on that meeting to plan our government.

Oh, no. I think that was our Declaration of Independence. Fourteen of the signers were Scots. Where is Uncle Tavenier when need him?
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Return to News Discussion Forum