Trump Backs Andrew Jackson To Prevent Civil War

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Trump Backs Andrew Jackson To Prevent Civil War

Postby toucana on May 3rd, 2017, 6:10 am 

In a bizarre rambling interview with Sirius-XM, a fringe satellite radio broadcaster in the Oval office yesterday, President Trump suggested that his personal hero Andrew Jackson the seventh POTUS (1829-37) would have prevented the American Civil War from taking place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6rq0ZjRp_w

He was a very tough person, but he had a big heart. he was realy angry that he saw what was happening with regard to the Civil War, he said ‘There’s no reason for this'

opined Trump, apparently undaunted by the fact that Andrew Jackson died in 1845 fully 16 years before the Civil War even began.

The choice of Andrew Jackson as a role model is quite revealing to many commentators. Jackson was widely regarded as a vulgar populist by his contemporaries. He was an unrepentant slave owner and as president he authored the Indian Removal Act of 1830 which resulted in the brutal displacement of many native Americans from their ancestral tribal lands. Jackson was long remembered for the sadistic murder of a political rival Charles Dickinson in a duel in 1806. Andrew Jackson also happens to be the founder of the Democratic party.

Jon Meacham the Pulitzer prize winning author of ‘American Lion’, the best known modern biography of Andrew Jackson had to this to say when asked to comment on Trump’s remarks

it’s a projection of the president’s fundamental and enveloping narcissism.. he told me a year ago that he thought he could have done a deal to prevent the war.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmnGSvbrWiY

Another Pulitzer prize winning journalist Eugene Robinson who writes for the Washington Post said
“There is a kind of arrogant malevolent ignorance in his mangling of American history”
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (7)

Re: Trump Backs Andrew Jackson To Prevent Civil War

Postby SciameriKen on May 3rd, 2017, 9:58 am 

I don't know if I would go as far as to say Sirius-XM satellite radio is "fringe" lol - in any case the randomness of this president is something else - I wonder what his thoughts are on the Louisiana Purchase
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby Braininvat on May 3rd, 2017, 12:13 pm 

If anyone else in the office had cited Andrew Jackson as a role model, it would have been political suicide.

Glad to know that Trump is conducting seances and conversing with dead presidents whose ghosts wandered the Earth for many years after their deaths.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby toucana on May 4th, 2017, 9:05 am 

SciameriKen wrote:
I wonder what his thoughts are on the Louisiana Purchase

There is quite a funny satirical spoof on that very theme:
https://thenatteringnabobs.com/2016/12/20/trump-hah-i-could-have-made-the-louisiana-purchase-for-45-million-francs/

It probably isn't too far from the truth either :P
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (7)

Return to News Discussion Forum