Tabby's Star On The Blink Again

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Tabby's Star On The Blink Again

Postby toucana on May 21st, 2017, 6:20 am 

Astronomers are scrambling to point their telescopes at one of the weirdest stars ever observed after it mysteriously dimmed again.

http://news.sky.com/story/astronomers-scramble-to-probe-alien-megastructure-star-10885978

KIC 8462852, also known as Tabby's Star, has been monitored for several years after it was noticed that its brightness changed significantly and at irregular intervals.

A range of theories have been put forward for this strange behaviour, including one hypothesis which suggests an alien megastructure may have been built around the star to harvest its energy.

Although the star was first discovered in the 1890s, it was not until observations between 2009 and 2013 when scientists first noticed something particularly odd about it.

It was subsequently named after Louisiana-based astronomer Tabetha Boyajian, who wrote a paper about its strange behaviour.

Professor Boyajian noticed that at one point Tabby's Star's brightness had dropped by 22%, which can not be explained by any properly understood phenomenon.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (7)

Re: Tabby's Star On The Blink Again

Postby Braininvat on May 21st, 2017, 11:24 am 

A more technical chat about Tabby's star with NatChemE, BioWiz, Dudley, me, and a couple others...

viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=129&t=29555

And somewhere, Dudley updated on Tabby in another thread, which I'll post when I find it....
Braininvat
Resident Member

Return to News Discussion Forum