"There Are No Tapes"

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

"There Are No Tapes"

Postby toucana on June 12th, 2017, 5:33 pm 

According to a report on CNBC, an FOIA request to the US Secret Service has elicited the reply that they have no recordings or transcripts of any conversations between president Donald Trump and FBI director James Comey.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/12/secret-service-reportedly-has-no-trump-tapes.html

As the SS would have been responsible for installing and maintaining any covert surveillance system in the White House, this probably means there are no recordings of the disputed one-on-one conversation between the POTUS and the FBI director. Not unless Trump set up and used a digital recording device himself, which is unlikely given his level of technical naivety.

This does not make Trump's legal position any easier. Congressional committees will still issue subpoenas to him and other staff asking them to produce the stipulated tapes, or to prove beyond reasonable doubt that they never existed in the first place.

But if it is then established that president Trump invoked the notion of wholly imaginary recordings as a way of threatening or manipulating FBI director James Comey, then the POTUS will now be open to new charges of witness intimidation as well as obstruction of justice.

http://www.palmerreport.com/opinion/secret-service-tapes-trump/3431/
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (7)

Re: "There Are No Tapes"

Postby Watson on June 13th, 2017, 10:45 am 

I maybe remembering this wrong, but did trump hire his own private security people, making the SS a secondary, more peripheral security detail? It is not a matter of his skills installing or using some monitoring devices. If he wanted surveillance, he would have just clicked his heals and pointed. It would have happened.
Or, should have said could have happened.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby toucana on June 16th, 2017, 5:42 am 

There is one interesting suggestion doing the rounds that Trump did indeed hire in some outside contractors to help him install a covert recording system in the Oval office. Nice smartly dressed contractors who spoke fluent Russian. The same helpful gentlemen who also offered Jared Kushner the use of a private high speed back channel transatlantic communication link to their HQ in Europe back in early January.

But no-one would be that silly right ?

The White House has now lawyered up on this subject and is referring all press enquiries about WH tape recordings to the president's new personal counsel Mark Kasowitz, the legal boffin who misspelled the word 'president' as 'predisent' in the very first line of his very first press release.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/team-trump-oval-office-tapes-talk-to-my-lawyer-10

http://heavy.com/news/2017/06/donald-trump-lawyer-marc-kasowitz-misspells-president-predisent/
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby BadgerJelly on June 16th, 2017, 6:11 am 

I think these posts are getting a tad hysterical. It is just me?

The guy is muppet. End of story. He'll mess stuff up just as badly as any other would've more than likely. The plus side is everyone is sitting up and taking more notice even if the media are mind-numbingly one-sided on anything "Trump".

I believe Putin. He doesn't give much of shit about who is on power in the US because it makes difference to the general global political climate. The US, Obama, Clinton or Trump, will still interfere in affairs overseas because they are invested in creating instability under the mask of being "peace makers".

Personally I wish Trump would've done what he said in the first place and focus on the US and forget about the rest of the world. Decades and decades of western countries inferring with foreign states is getting tiresome. I am sure there is some good intentions in there too, but it ain't working and trying to clear up the mess we make seems to do nothing but make more and more of a mess.

Don't even get me started on the hypocracy of "helping" the nations with resources become "democratic" whilst standing idle as children are gunned down, raped, forced into slave labour and recruited into armed forces across Africa.

War doesn't work. It is an old and dated measn of making money and controlling peoples. We need a new way to look at war that fights global issues rather than doubt ideals of scrambling around for food like starving pigs (especially when the ones most violently scrambling around happen to be the fattest gluts of all.)

Humanity looks mad sometimes. Rant over.

Trust me Russia doesn't give a flying **** about the US other than the constant posturing mae around its BORDERS, just like China too. IOt sickens me all the more seeing the infection spreading across Europe too. Let us not forget NATO was put together to defend against the Soviet "threat". Are we living perpetually in the past? Do people not realise that the Cold War actually ended?

I guess I'll be dead in 50 odd years ... something to look forward to :)
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby toucana on June 16th, 2017, 7:03 am 

I think these posts are getting a tad hysterical. It is just me?

Since you ask - no.

'Hysterical' seems to be the new favourite buzzword for right wing apologists who wish to deflect questions they do not want to answer, or satire which they don't enjoy.

'Hysterical' was the word recently deployed by Trump loyalists against the forthright and brilliant Senator Kamala Harris, the former AG of California when she was simply doing her job as a Senate Intel Committee member in trying to get straight answers to simple questions from a particularly evasive and utterly mendacious Attorney General Jeff Sessions. The recused AG simply refused to explain what legal authority he was invoking in refusing to answer pertinent questions during his appearance, and even had the gall to say he hadn't bothered to look up or consult the authority he would be relying on before coming in and obstructing the hearing.

Kamala Harris was over-ridden and cut off by Sen. John McCain who as an ex officio member had no business even opening his mouth, and she was subsequently called 'hysterical' on CNN by a Trump loyalist.

Are we living perpetually in the past? Do people not realise that the Cold War actually ended?

Try asking the non-Russian people living in Crimea and Ukraine if they are aware that the cold war is ended. Try asking the citizens of the Baltic states such as Latvia Lithuania or Estonia if they sleep comfortably at night with with Putin's Russia as their neighbour. Try asking the defence ministers of countries like Poland Finland Sweden and Norway how relaxed they currently feel about the level of Russia's military threat on their borders.

I suspect you may find their answers a tad 'hysterical'.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby BadgerJelly on June 16th, 2017, 11:52 am 

WELL! I guess you're hysterical then.

Have fun with that ;)
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Return to News Discussion Forum