Seven Missing In US Navy Destroyer Collision

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Seven Missing In US Navy Destroyer Collision

Postby toucana on June 16th, 2017, 7:45 pm 

DDG-62NHK.png

Seven sailors are reported missing after a US navy destroyer USS Fitzgerald (DDG-62) was involved in a serious collision with a merchant vessel just south of Yokosuka in Japan. The Japanese coastguard have been asked to assist.

http://news.sky.com/story/us-navy-destroyer-collides-with-japanese-boat-10918040

The USS Fitzgerald is an Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer with a complement of around 280 men. The ship is based at Yokosuka which is on the southern side of Honshu island a little way south of Yokohama.

The collision took place around 2:00 am this morning 56 miles south of Yokosuka. Video footage from broadcaster NHK shows heavy damage to the starboard midships area of the USS Fitzgerald where it was struck by a Philippines registered merchant vessel ACX Crystal, a large container cargo freighter.

The USS Fitzgerald was reported to be taking on water with three compartments ruptured, and had also lost engine power and was unable to manoeuvre. One crewman had been removed in a joint medevac operation with the Japanese coastguard, and tugs have arrived to take the damaged vessel in tow back to Yokosuka Naval Base.

The 29,060 tonne vessel is not thought to be in any immediate danger of sinking.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (7)

Re: Seven Missing In US Navy Destroyer Collision

Postby toucana on June 18th, 2017, 5:24 pm 

The Commander-In-Tweet rises to the occasion once more.
Attachments
CIT.jpg
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby someguy1 on June 18th, 2017, 5:59 pm 

Scurrilous rumor of the day.

My son is assigned to the USS Fitzgerald. I am unable to share his rate with you.

The information is short and not so sweet. The implications are disturbing.

The ship is registered in the Philippines. We do not know who the owner is. The container ship neither had its running lights or transponder on. That is an action taken willfully. Furthermore, for the container ship to strike with such accuracy is troublesome. Given what some have done with cars in Europe, what a feather in the cap it would be to sink a U.S. Navy warship. Think on that.

My son missed being washed out to sea by the blink of an eye. He was on his way to one of the berthing areas that was rammed.

Yes, language is important. "Rammed" is the perfect word.

Loving and Concerned Navy Mother

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/201 ... media.html
someguy1

Postby toucana on June 18th, 2017, 6:56 pm 

The two key officials who would normally take the lead role in the investigation of the collision and the communications with the Japanese authorities would usually be the US Navy secretary and the US ambassador to Japan. Both posts are currently still vacant under the Trump administration.

“The USS Fitzgerald might sink off Japan and the US President can’t call our ambassador or our navy secretary because we have neither,”

said Brandon Friedman, a former Obama administration official.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/17/uss-fitzgerald-collision-trump-criticised-for-leaving-key-posts-unfilled

The US has been without an ambassador to Japan since Caroline Kennedy left Tokyo in January. Her successor, the Tennessee businessman William Hagerty, has attended a Senate confirmation hearing but has yet to take up his post.

Trump’s nominee for US navy secretary, Richard Spencer, has yet to be confirmed by the Senate. The former financial industry executive and US marine corps captain was tapped for the post after Trump’s first choice for navy secretary, Philip Bilden, withdrew his candidacy in February because he was unwilling to divest himself of his financial interests to serve in the position.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby someguy1 on June 18th, 2017, 9:27 pm 

toucana » June 18th, 2017, 4:56 pm wrote:The two key officials who would normally take the lead role in the investigation of the collision and the communications with the Japanese authorities would usually be the US Navy secretary and the US ambassador to Japan. Both posts are currently still vacant under the Trump administration.

LOL. You've got me there. But Clinton and Bush were pretty disorganized their first six months too. And Caroline Kennedy isn't exactly the first person you'd think of to be the ambassador to one of our most important allies. Even the NYT, whose article at the time was generally favorable to the appointment, wrote:

"For those who say she doesn’t know a lot about Japan, I say ‘sure,’ but neither did Walter Mondale,” said Kurt M. Campbell, a former assistant secretary of state for East Asian affairs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/25/world ... japan.html

Well there you go. Caroline Kennedy: Not as dumb as Mondale. But I'll grant you, better than no one at all. And with all the military guys around Trump I'm surprised he doesn't have a Navy sec yet either. I agree, not a good look at a time like this.

ps -- From the article you linked:

"Trump’s nominee for US navy secretary, Richard Spencer, has yet to be confirmed by the Senate."

So it's not entirely Trump's doing. I haven't followed the details of why Spencer hasn't been confirmed.
someguy1

Postby toucana on June 19th, 2017, 7:19 am 

There is something rather peculiar about this collision. It took place in calm seas, good weather and clear visibility, and although it happened around 2:20am local time, there was a third quarter moon in the night sky well above the horizon.

The USS Fitzgerald is large guided missile destroyer fitted with an Aegis combat system which is based around a passive electronically scanned radar, a state of art phased array system that is meant to be capable of tracking multiple targets and offering comprehensive defensive screening in all directions. It seems inconceivable that the duty watch in the battle control room would have been unaware of something as large as a container ship on a collision course with them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arleigh_Burke-class_destroyer

The fact that the collision damage to the USS Fitzgerald was in the starboard midships area suggests that their helmsman failed to follow the normal navigational rule of giving way to a vessel approaching from the starboard side.

Tracking data from the ACX Crystal suggests that the container ship had turned back in a westerly direction about 25m before the collision took place. But without the comparable track data for the USS Fitzgerald, it's impossible to tell at this stage quite what happened.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby BadgerJelly on June 19th, 2017, 8:46 am 

someguy1 » June 19th, 2017, 5:59 am wrote:Scurrilous rumor of the day.

My son is assigned to the USS Fitzgerald. I am unable to share his rate with you.

The information is short and not so sweet. The implications are disturbing.

The ship is registered in the Philippines. We do not know who the owner is. The container ship neither had its running lights or transponder on. That is an action taken willfully. Furthermore, for the container ship to strike with such accuracy is troublesome. Given what some have done with cars in Europe, what a feather in the cap it would be to sink a U.S. Navy warship. Think on that.

My son missed being washed out to sea by the blink of an eye. He was on his way to one of the berthing areas that was rammed.

Yes, language is important. "Rammed" is the perfect word.

Loving and Concerned Navy Mother

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/201 ... media.html

I wouldn't put such an action past Duterte. I think it is something many the US will be using against him though.

I doubt he would start ramming US vessels because the US government won't sell him rifles. I can see the US setting up such a storyline to use against Duterte for refusing to meet their terms for buying rifles.

It is funny in the Philippines people are calling him out as being pro-Trump when he has been defiant in many situations. Also, the comparison of Duterte to Trump is awful. Dutuerte has been in politics most of his life, he is not a businessman who actively pursued Presidency.

Accidents do happen and when they do people want someone to blame. I am under no doubt that both perties will blame the other because of the deaths involved. It seems pretty dumb to suggest a huge tanker with a huge turning circle could purposefully aim at a ship and purposefully hit the right spot.

Then again I see some people on the net claiming that certain bombings in the UK are hoaxes ... this is the age we live in.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby toucana on June 22nd, 2017, 9:48 am 

Ars Technica have posted an interesting article by their senior IT editor Sean Gallagher who in an earlier life served as a naval officer aboard USS Iowa (BB-61), the last giant battleship in the US navy until it was finally retired in 1990.

https://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2017/06/uss-fitzgerald-collision-analysis-ais/

He discusses the modern AIS (automated identification system) that ships rely on nowadays and tries to explain why the 'internet of ships' failed to prevent this collision. The following points in particular stand out:

- The container ship ACX Crystal had its AIS transponder system switched on.
- The USS Fitzgerald did not.
- It is not uncommon for US navy vessels to turn off their AIS beacons for security reasons.
- The container ship would not have received any advance warnings of an imminent collision
- The collision actually happened at 1:30AM, nearly an hour before being reported.
- The delay arose partly because the radio room of the USS Fitzgerald was destroyed.

According to the Japanese Jiji wire agency, the crew of the ACX Crystal say that their vessel was sailing in the same general direction as the US destroyer until they collided, apparently after the Crystal made a course adjustment to port.
The bridge watch on the Fitzgerald apparently missed the course change by the Crystal or misjudged the speed of the ship and thought that the destroyer would pass ahead of the freighter. That problem could have been avoided if the Fitzgerald's AIS was turned on.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Return to News Discussion Forum