A Tweet Too Far ?

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Re: A Tweet Too Far ?

Postby toucana on July 1st, 2017, 4:47 am 

someguy1 wrote:
ps -- The complete list of US presidents who did not win a majority of the popular vote. I urge people to consider how an election decided by national popular vote would actually work.


Nope. I didn't mention majority votes (greater than 50% of votes cast). The comments referred to a *minority* vote where a candidate who won *fewer* votes than the candidate who won the largest share of the popular vote winds up being selected by the electoral college.

The correct table you should have linked to is this one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_elections_in_which_the_winner_lost_the_popular_vote

There have been only five US presidential elections since 1824 when this has occurred:
1824 - John Quincey Adams
1876 - Rutherford B. Hayes
1888 - Benjamin Harrison
2000 - George W. Bush
2016 - Donald Trump

The most remarkable case was the 1876 presidential election of Rutherford B. Hayes who was elected president by the electoral college even though his opponent Democrat Samuel J. Tilden won 51% of the popular vote
Tilden was, and remains, the only candidate in American history who lost a presidential election despite receiving a majority (not just a plurality) of the popular vote.
User avatar
toucana
Chatroom Operator
 
Posts: 838
Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Location: Bristol UK
Blog: View Blog (7)


Re: A Tweet Too Far ?

Postby toucana on July 1st, 2017, 12:59 pm 

Screen Shot 2017-07-01 at 17.27.59.png


Trump is not yet done with attacking Joe and Mika it seems.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/01/politics/donald-trump-morning-joe-tweet/index.html

Trump has responded with another stream of bile laden attacks on Twitter, after Joe and Mika accused the Trump administration of trying to blackmail them earlier this year by threatening them with a personal hit-piece in the National Enquirer tabloid which is controlled by a Trump supporter David Pecker, As a matter of record, the National Enquirer article did appear on 5th June.

The real question that is exercising many commentators is what does Trump hope to achieve by this squalid and very public misbehaviour ? The best explanation seems to be that it is all part of a calculated distraction play by Trump and his surrogates to divert attention away from another very large and damaging press story that they fear is about to break lose.

(hint - keep an eye on the Washington Post in the next few days)
User avatar
toucana
Chatroom Operator
 
Posts: 838
Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Location: Bristol UK
Blog: View Blog (7)


Re: A Tweet Too Far ?

Postby someguy1 on July 1st, 2017, 3:49 pm 

toucana » July 1st, 2017, 2:47 am wrote:
Nope. I didn't mention majority votes (greater than 50% of votes cast). The comments referred to a *minority* vote where a candidate who won *fewer* votes than the candidate who won the largest share of the popular vote winds up being selected by the electoral college.


Of course I completely agree with your point, but you didn't address the questions I raised.

Suppose we make a new system: Plurality of national vote is the winner. Now you would have dozens of regional candidates leading to either

(a) A nutjob who was hugely popular in only one region of the country becoming president with 10 or 15% of the popular vote; or

(a) A runoff system which would inevitably lead to double elections every four years.

Can you explain how your proposal for a popular election system would work?

Can you address the issue of a reverse Trump/Hillary election, in which a candidate hugely popular in one region wins the popular vote, but they're someone you don't like?

You totally ignored all these points. You give the impression that your only concern with the electoral system is that it elected someone you don't like. You haven't addressed any of the underlying issues with a national popular vote.
someguy1
Member
 
Posts: 582
Joined: 08 Nov 2013


Re: A Tweet Too Far ?

Postby Old Rasputin on July 1st, 2017, 8:16 pm 

Donald J Trump wrote:Crazy Joe Scarborough and dumb as a rock Mika are not bad people, but their low rated show is dominated by their NBC bosses. Too bad!

toucana wrote:Trump has responded with another stream of bile laden attacks on Twitter…

Toucana, your response here is very interesting to me. If I may make an observation with no offense intended here, but it seems to me that your response is not rational. It seems that your response (interpretation) of Trump’s tweet is purely biased, fueled by your 'hate' of Trump (and is also possibly hypocritical). Though my observation may be completely wrong.

Again, please don’t take this the wrong way. I certainly don’t mean any offense towards you by my comments here. I am not looking to get in an argument! I am simple trying to grasp the understanding of those who possess this anti-Trump sentiment specifically related to his Twitter tweets.

So please humor me by answering honestly to these questions (note: others are welcome to answer these question too, but please be brutally honest!) --

1. If someone insulted president Trump, as Trump has insulted others, would you then also chastise their insult of Trump, as a “bile laden attack”?
    A. NO WAY, the president deserves the insult.
    B. NO, they are not held to the same higher standard as the president.
    C. YES, insults are insults, no matter who they come from.
2. Do you consider it ‘fair game’ (acceptable) for Trump to insult those who have insulted him, i.e. tit for tat?
    A. NO, he is the president and needs to behave differently.
    B. NO, "two wrongs don't make a right!", no one should ever insult anyone else.
    C. YES, everyone has the right to defend themselves, even presidents.
3. Has president Trump ever insulted anyone (on Twitter) without first being insulted by them?
    A. YES, he does it all the time.
    B. YES, he has done it once or twice.
    C. NO, I can’t recall any such situation.
4. Do you sometimes find yourself secretly 'applauding' those that insult Trump?
    A. YES, because Trump is a douche bag and deserves it.
    B. YES, but only sometimes (when he deserves it).
    C. NO, never, all insults are insults, and should never be applauded.
5. When Trump insults others (via Twitter), is it the actual ‘insult’ that you hate/detest?
    A. NO, I detest Trump himself no matter what he says.
    B. NO, I detest Trump, because presidents should never ever insult anyone.
    C. YES, it is the ‘insult’ that is offensive, that shouldn't be said by anyone!

ANSWERS:
1. ____
2. ____
3. ____
4. ____
5. ____

BIV, Zet, and all others, please provide your honest answers too!
User avatar
Old Rasputin
Banned User
 
Posts: 237
Joined: 02 Feb 2016


Re: A Tweet Too Far ?

Postby toucana on July 2nd, 2017, 6:10 am 

Bile.png

Seems pretty self-explanatory to me.

If you don't feel that Donald Trump's Tweets convey some degree of anger or irritability, then I don't think a tick-box survey is going to help.
User avatar
toucana
Chatroom Operator
 
Posts: 838
Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Location: Bristol UK
Blog: View Blog (7)


Re: A Tweet Too Far ?

Postby Old Rasputin on July 2nd, 2017, 9:07 am 

toucana wrote:If you don't feel that Donald Trump's Tweets convey some degree of anger or irritability, then I don't think a tick-box survey is going to help.

Toucana, you miss the point. -- Yes, Trump’s tweets convey his anger, …that is a given!!! BUT 'his’ anger is NOT the subject of my “tick-box survey”. It is ‘YOUR’, anger (and its reasoning) that are the subjects of my “tick-box survey”. ‘Your’ includes all those that are repulsed by his angry tweets.

In other words, I want to understand the reasoning of one's anger over Trumps anger (angry tweets), ...that’s all.

Are there any brave (and honest) volunteers to complete the multiple choice "tick-box survey"???
User avatar
Old Rasputin
Banned User
 
Posts: 237
Joined: 02 Feb 2016


Re: A Tweet Too Far ?

Postby Watson on July 2nd, 2017, 9:32 am 

"You hate trump!" seems to be the default here. No matter the conversation, the fall back position is not what trump did, but how you feel about trump, and you must hate him to have a negative opinion, like that is the single minded universal reason. It is not trump, it is us?

I was actually a supporter when he first was running. But that was before we were shown what a mindless, nipless boob he was. And that was before his qualifications, or lack there of, became an issue.

It is kind of ironic the US of A, elects the first black President, and follows that achievement by, next up, electing a mentally challenges racist to undo it all.

Hate trump. No. He is just a sad little man. More pity I think.
User avatar
Watson
Resident Member
 
Posts: 4411
Joined: 19 Apr 2009
Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.


Re: A Tweet Too Far ?

Postby Forest_Dump on July 2nd, 2017, 9:43 am 

I'll offer my thoughts as a Canadian. I suppose I can say I am sort of repulsed by his comments but that is because he is the POTUS. He had said similar things long before he was elected (e.g., the birther and Obama is a secret Muslim, etc.) but back then I thought it was simply stupid and only deserved note because it was from someone who had gained a certain amount of fame as a New York-based real estate developer and speculator (which granted, from my part, came with no expectations of high moral or ethical standards - merely a hunger to be rich and famous at any cost). But I can not say I hate Trump now because I don't respect him enough for that. But on to it...

Old Rasputin wrote:1. If someone insulted president Trump, as Trump has insulted others, would you then also chastise their insult of Trump, as a “bile laden attack”?

A. NO WAY, the president deserves the insult.
B. NO, they are not held to the same higher standard as the president.
C. YES, insults are insults, no matter who they come from.


I would have to say "B". The POTUS, any POTUS, shoud be above those kinds of petty things. We all should expect more of a POTUS, or any head of state, than to get caught up in silly playground politics like name calling, etc. When it comes to any or all the "others", if I find I disagree with them (such as what they say on some morning TV show), I can simply refuse to watch (and by the way I have never seen that particular show and since I rarely watch US TV (in fact CNN only when something big has happened and happen to be near a TV that carries it - we don't get TV at home anymore), I can't say I have ever even seen MSNBC. But yes I would expect more from any head of state.

Old Rasputin wrote:2. Do you consider it ‘fair game’ (acceptable) for Trump to insult those who have insulted him, i.e. tit for tat?

A. NO, he is the president and needs to behave differently.
B. NO, "two wrongs don't make a right!", no one should ever insult anyone else.
C. YES, everyone has the right to defend themselves, even presidents.


Multiple answers. "A" as already given above. "B" is also true (would you get into an insult exchange with some kid or someone with some kind of behavioural challenge or a random drunk on the treet?) "C" can be ruled out because we know all kinds of people have given up certain kinds of "rights" along those lines when they accept their jobs. If some judge or doctor, for example, decided they didn't like you for some arbitrary private reason of ther own including perhaps that you insulted them somehow, accidentally or on purpose, would you accept that they have some right to treat you or act towards you any differently?

Old Rasputin wrote:3. Has president Trump ever insulted anyone (on Twitter) without first being insulted by them?

A. YES, he does it all the time.
B. YES, he has done it once or twice.
C. NO, I can’t recall any such situation.


"A" of course. This goes back to long before he was President with the birther and Obama is a secret Muslim stupidity and has never abated.

Old Rasputin wrote:4. Do you sometimes find yourself secretly 'applauding' those that insult Trump?

A. YES, because Trump is a douche bag and deserves it.
B. YES, but only sometimes (when he deserves it).
C. NO, never, all insults are insults, and should never be applauded.


To be totally honest, while I am advocate for free speech, this is tough because I think "C" is the right answer. But what makes it tough is that what you might think of as being an insult, I might think of as being a reasonably fair description. I have no problem descrobomg some of Trump's actions as being stupid an Trump himself as a buffoon but I don't think Trump is really stupid. But I am convinced he has some very obvious and prominant psychological and behavioural disorders that make him unfit for his job. But is that an insult or an appraisal from someone who actually has some professional training and experience in this kind of thing?

Old Rasputin wrote:5. When Trump insults others (via Twitter), is it the actual ‘insult’ that you hate/detest?

A. NO, I detest Trump himself no matter what he says.
B. NO, I detest Trump, because presidents should never ever insult anyone.
C. YES, it is the ‘insult’ that is offensive, that shouldn't be said by anyone!


Truth be told, I am not sure any of the options really fit. If it is important for me to answer this one, give me some time to think more about it.
User avatar
Forest_Dump
Resident Member
 
Posts: 8721
Joined: 31 Mar 2005
Location: Great Lakes Region


Re: A Tweet Too Far ?

Postby Forest_Dump on July 2nd, 2017, 9:57 am 

Watson wrote:"You hate trump!" seems to be the default here. No matter the conversation, the fall back position is not what trump did, but how you feel about trump, and you must hate him to have a negative opinion, like that is the single minded universal reason. It is not trump, it is us?

I was actually a supporter when he first was running. But that was before we were shown what a mindless, nipless boob he was. And that was before his qualifications, or lack there of, became an issue.

It is kind of ironic the US of A, elects the first black President, and follows that achievement by, next up, electing a mentally challenges racist to undo it all.

Hate trump. No. He is just a sad little man. More pity I think.


Not sure why the like button only works on some forums for me (although others seem to be able to "like" some posts on forums I can't) but I did agree with most of this one. And some others as well.
User avatar
Forest_Dump
Resident Member
 
Posts: 8721
Joined: 31 Mar 2005
Location: Great Lakes Region


Re: A Tweet Too Far ?

Postby Old Rasputin on July 2nd, 2017, 11:41 am 

Watson wrote:"You hate trump!" seems to be the default here. No matter the conversation, the fall back position is not what trump did, but how you feel about trump, and you must hate him to have a negative opinion, like that is the single minded universal reason. It is not trump, it is us?

I’m not saying this, ...I’m asking this. Watson, I don't necessarily care 'what' the opinion on Trump is, I care more about your 'means' that determine this opinion. In other words, is your reasoning rational, or irrational?

1. Is it your ‘hate’ of Trump that causes your "negative opinion"?
2. Or is it your ‘impartial and fair interpretation’ that causes your “negative opinion”?
3. And if one hates Trump, is it then possible for one to be ‘fair and impartial’ towards him?

Can you see the problem of those professed "haters" of Trump? Can we ever trust their opinion to be fair and impartial?

Watson wrote:I was actually a supporter when he first was running. But that was before we were shown what a mindless, nipless boob he was. And that was before his qualifications, or lack there of, became an issue.

I was just the opposite. I opposed Trump (nor voted for him), but now am intrigued by how he handles/plays the negative press and the liberals who constantly insult/bash him on a daily basis. He is not afraid to look like a fool and un-presidential (and does it quite well sometimes!).

I suspect Trump is much smarter than most give him credit for. I further suspect that all his ‘cringe-worthy’ tweets are strategically intentional. No one can doubt that he is a fighter, and seems to always win at whatever he does. Although unpopular to say, I do admit that I admire his ‘fight’; his willingness to thumb his nose at all his detractors. I actually admire that he doesn’t care, nor conform to, presidential protocol when in a fight. When punches are thrown at him, his hands are not tied behind his back (as per presidential-ness dictates), …he throws punches in return, …how odd (and unpresidential!!) this is? Even if he says (and what appears to be) STUPID stuff in his tweets, I can’t help but admire his tenacity to still swing away.

Watson wrote:It is kind of ironic the US of A, elects the first black President, and follows that achievement by, next up, electing a mentally challenges racist to undo it all.

So your “negative opinion” of “mentally challenged racist” was formed by ‘fair and impartial interpretation’, and not from ‘hate’? …if true, then I applaud your reasoning/rational-ness.

Watson wrote:Hate trump. No. He is just a sad little man. More pity I think.

Well, I’m glad you are not a “Trump hater”, because those that “hate” Trump because he “hates” on others, would be exposing themselves as hypocrites.

This includes those that insult/bash Trump because he insults/bashes others are likewise hypocrites. Unless of course, there is such thing as “justified hypocrisy”??
Last edited by Old Rasputin on July 2nd, 2017, 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Old Rasputin
Banned User
 
Posts: 237
Joined: 02 Feb 2016


Re: A Tweet Too Far ?

Postby Old Rasputin on July 2nd, 2017, 12:12 pm 

Forest, thanks for your answers. I especially appreciate your open honesty.

From my viewpoint, it seems that most of those that oppose Trump are irrational hypocrites, (...again, unless of course, “justified hypocrisy” is not contradictory). You are not one of these. Your “negative opinion” of Trump appears to be very rational and non-hypocritical. A bit refreshing. So again, thanks.

That being said, I do question some comments you made.

In your answers to 1&2, you seem to “hold the president to a higher standard”, and that it is somehow part of his job description. Is it really part of his job description, or is just our ‘expectation’ of his job position? Did the voters that voted him in ‘expect’ him to behave differently than when he was campaigning (and freely insulting everyone)? Didn't the winning voters get what they wanted? I know the losers of the election want him to behave differently, but does that mean that he must behave ‘presidential’ because they (losers) want him to?
User avatar
Old Rasputin
Banned User
 
Posts: 237
Joined: 02 Feb 2016


Re: A Tweet Too Far ?

Postby Braininvat on July 2nd, 2017, 12:14 pm 

Mainly agree with Forest's answers to the survey, though I generally avoid tick-box ones where I find many questions would be answered "depends on....."

As for saying "I suspect..." and then guessing at what Trump is really like, I don't find much of an argument there. I don't much care if his tweets are "strategic." They come across as uninformed, paranoid, often mendacious, and mostly childish. He does not play well with others. And that is a fatal flaw in POTUS.
User avatar
Braininvat
Resident Member
 
Posts: 5819
Joined: 21 Jan 2014
Location: Black Hills


Re: A Tweet Too Far ?

Postby Forest_Dump on July 2nd, 2017, 12:47 pm 

Very littel time but...

Old Rasputin wrote:In your answers to 1&2, you seem to “hold the president to a higher standard”, and that it is somehow part of his job description. Is it really part of his job description, or is just our ‘expectation’ of his job position? Did the voters that voted him in ‘expect’ him to behave differently than when he was campaigning (and freely insulting everyone)?


As to whether it is in the job description or just our expectation, I am not sure there is a necessary difference. Personally I fully expected him to act this way and I fully expect, given his past, etc., he will be and probably is doing things that, down the line, will be found to be highly questionable and probably illegal to most people (even the worst in history had and even have some die-hard supporters). I do agree that he may well be doing a lot of things that his supporters fully accept or willing to overlook in some ways or for some ends. I will admot that 1) I have my own theory for why he won and that 2) I then and still think Hillary would have made a far superior president. But I never understood the antipathy against her as the most notable complaints seemed pretty trivial to me (and might even be what is sometimes referred to now as "fake news").
User avatar
Forest_Dump
Resident Member
 
Posts: 8721
Joined: 31 Mar 2005
Location: Great Lakes Region


Re: A Tweet Too Far ?

Postby Old Rasputin on July 2nd, 2017, 1:03 pm 

Braininvat wrote:I don't much care if his tweets are "strategic." They come across as uninformed, paranoid, often mendacious, and mostly childish. He does not play well with others. And that is a fatal flaw in POTUS.

Thanks BIV, and yes, I agree that his tweets appear hateful (childish and demeaning), …but, does that then justify a (hypocritical-non rational) equally hateful response? Where does all the chain of hate end? Who is going to be FIRST to stop this chain of hating? -- We DEMAND it to be Trump, …but why can't it be US, ...or the liberal media?

I don't think we can ever rationally justify 'hating a hater'.

Somebody's got to stop the chain of hating. The Liberal Media hates Trump, which causes Trump to hate on them (in his tweets), causing some Americans to hate more on Trump and more Americans to hate on the Media, which then fuels the Media to continue hating on Trump, and Trump to continue his hateful tweets, ...round and round we go. -- I for one have had enough and am jumping off this merry-go-round.
User avatar
Old Rasputin
Banned User
 
Posts: 237
Joined: 02 Feb 2016


Re: A Tweet Too Far ?

Postby Braininvat on July 2nd, 2017, 2:15 pm 

I'm on a tablet and hit your Like button by accident, because the touch screen is sensitive.

I think you're framing the discussion as about "hating," but I don't think that's a fair representation of what journalist do when they report facts which do not present the Pres. in a good light. That's called "doing their job." And that's all I have to say.
User avatar
Braininvat
Resident Member
 
Posts: 5819
Joined: 21 Jan 2014
Location: Black Hills


Re: A Tweet Too Far ?

Postby Old Rasputin on July 2nd, 2017, 2:44 pm 

Do you think it is possible for a Trump hating journalist to separate his emotion and write a 'fair and impartial' report on Trump?

Your accidental 'like' of my post was probably a Freudian slip. :-D
User avatar
Old Rasputin
Banned User
 
Posts: 237
Joined: 02 Feb 2016


Re: A Tweet Too Far ?

Postby toucana on July 2nd, 2017, 4:25 pm 

How would you suggest a journalist should set about reviewing a Trump Tweet linked video like this one in a 'fair' and 'impartial' manner ?



Would you:

A - Suggest he cuts back on his coke habit ?
B - Recommend a therapist at a facility equipped with a secure padded cell ?
C - Applaud the video's deconstruction of the relationship between Trump and MSM ?
D - Conclude that he missed his real vocation as a parody wrestling star ?
User avatar
toucana
Chatroom Operator
 
Posts: 838
Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Location: Bristol UK
Blog: View Blog (7)


Re: A Tweet Too Far ?

Postby Watson on July 2nd, 2017, 5:06 pm 

Old Rasputin » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:44 pm wrote:Do you think it is possible for a Trump hating journalist to separate his emotion and write a 'fair and impartial' report on Trump?

Probably not, because you equate negative comment with emotional hating. We can all have the opinions expressed here already, with out it being an emotional issue. At least the rest of us can. He is a joke. That's it. Nothing emotional about it. A sad joke, but with some unfortunate authority. Like I said, sad.
User avatar
Watson
Resident Member
 
Posts: 4411
Joined: 19 Apr 2009
Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.


Re: A Tweet Too Far ?

Postby Old Rasputin on July 2nd, 2017, 5:35 pm 

Toucana, I think Trump's video tweet is:
E - Humor! ...you gotta admit it was funny, right? Trump is playing with the media, ...isn't that obvious to all? ...it made me laugh out loud, did it not you?

Watson, again you are missing what I am saying. Yes, I agree that we can have negative opinions without it being 'hate' generated. But my question/point is if we hate something already, is it then possible to EVER have an impartial/fair opinion of it?

You say Trump is a joke, is it because of your hate for Trump, or is it because of some other rational explanation? ...be honest now.
User avatar
Old Rasputin
Banned User
 
Posts: 237
Joined: 02 Feb 2016


Re: A Tweet Too Far ?

Postby toucana on July 2nd, 2017, 5:52 pm 

Lieu.png

As of about 40 minutes ago #25thAmendmentNow was the 7th top trending topic on Twitter
User avatar
toucana
Chatroom Operator
 
Posts: 838
Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Location: Bristol UK
Blog: View Blog (7)


Re: A Tweet Too Far ?

Postby Braininvat on July 2nd, 2017, 6:17 pm 

OR, I wonder if you could have cause and effect reversed, in terms of people not liking Trump? I don't know of anyone here who formed their opinion (negative) of Trump due to some preexisting animus. Many of us gave him little, if any, thought before 2016. I don't watch reality tv or involve myself in real estate or NYC gossip. My opinion is one that follows, rather than precedes, his actions and words as candidate and President. I can well imagine that Watson's assessment of Trump as a joke would be based on a rational appraisal of his actions and words, based on what I see coming from the Oval office and bizarre interactions with the Cabinet and foreign leaders.
User avatar
Braininvat
Resident Member
 
Posts: 5819
Joined: 21 Jan 2014
Location: Black Hills


Re: A Tweet Too Far ?

Postby Watson on July 2nd, 2017, 7:10 pm 

Old Rasputin » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:35 pm wrote:Watson, again you are missing what I am saying. Yes, I agree that we can have negative opinions without it being 'hate' generated. But my question/point is if we hate something already, is it then possible to EVER have an impartial/fair opinion of it?

You say Trump is a joke, is it because of your hate for Trump, or is it because of some other rational explanation? ...be honest now.


Now you are just being a troll. Your whole argument is based on the false premise that we all have an irrational hatred for trump. You just keep circling back to it again and again and.....................
User avatar
Watson
Resident Member
 
Posts: 4411
Joined: 19 Apr 2009
Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.


Re: A Tweet Too Far ?

Postby Old Rasputin on July 2nd, 2017, 8:05 pm 

Braininvat wrote:OR, I wonder if you could have cause and effect reversed, in terms of people not liking Trump? I don't know of anyone here who formed their opinion (negative) of Trump due to some preexisting animus. Many of us gave him little, if any, thought before 2016. I don't watch reality tv or involve myself in real estate or NYC gossip. My opinion is one that follows, rather than precedes, his actions and words as candidate and President.

I am not disputing a rational ‘cause’ for one’s hate of Trump. I am sure there is ‘some’ reason for one’s feeling of hating this guy.

I am only saying that once someone possesses this hate, then all impartiality and fairness is out the window!

It is not just Trump. Look at Sean Hannity (and others) with Barack Obama. No matter what positives that Obama did, Hannity would always spin a negative out of it. The same is happening to Trump; no matter what ‘good’ he does, it is being spun as ‘bad’ by those who possess hate (strong dislike) for him. Their is no fairness/impartiality in either case! This has all been reduced to 'haters' versus 'non-haters'.

Old Rasputin wrote:Watson, again you are missing what I am saying. Yes, I agree that we can have negative opinions without it being 'hate' generated. But my question/point is if we hate something already, is it then possible to EVER have an impartial/fair opinion of it?

Watson wrote:Your whole argument is based on the false premise that we all have an irrational hatred for trump.

Watson, please re-read what I wrote. I am talking about AFTER one possesses this hate of Trump. I am saying/asking - that AFTER one possesses the hate of X, then is it possible for one to be fair and impartial of X? I think not. Do you agree or not?
User avatar
Old Rasputin
Banned User
 
Posts: 237
Joined: 02 Feb 2016


Re: A Tweet Too Far ?

Postby Watson on July 2nd, 2017, 8:36 pm 

I don't need to re read it. You wrote "You say Trump is a joke, is it because of your hate for Trump,...." Your question/statement is false. And now you want to back pedal on trump and make it about someone else we must hate? The thread is about trump tweets. Not about,...? Whatever you are going on about.
User avatar
Watson
Resident Member
 
Posts: 4411
Joined: 19 Apr 2009
Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.


Re: A Tweet Too Far ?

Postby Old Rasputin on July 2nd, 2017, 9:49 pm 

Watson wrote:I don't need to re read it. You wrote "You say Trump is a joke, is it because of your hate for Trump,...." Your question/statement is false. And now you want to back pedal on trump and make it about someone else we must hate? The thread is about trump tweets. Not about,...? Whatever you are going on about.

Watson, you apparently don’t understand what I am saying. It seems that you are taking my question(s) as a personal attack, maybe? I can assure you that is not the case, nor my intent.

I am simply trying to highlight the point, that ‘haters’ of Trump, will ALWAYS hold a “negative opinion” of Trump, and his tweets. (The haters of X will always hold a negative opinion of X). And if you agree, then you will also recognize and further agree that the opinions of Trump haters (including journalists!) are therefore not to be trusted as 'fair and impartial'. Agreed?
User avatar
Old Rasputin
Banned User
 
Posts: 237
Joined: 02 Feb 2016


Re: A Tweet Too Far ?

Postby SciameriKen on July 2nd, 2017, 10:01 pm 

Here is what I do not like about Trump. He has been a huge distraction for about 2 years now -- who can get any work done with this guy?

Aside from that - Trump has made zero effort to unite this country - in fact he often antagonizes the left by targeting so many programs and laws that have minor impact socially or economically. Why take down Meal's on wheels? Why take down the endowment for the arts?

His general demeanor is if you don't like me then go to hell - the Trump supporters love this and with it have the balls to say, oh why don't you give Trump a chance?

I believe the correct vernacular is EFF YOU!
User avatar
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1262
Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Location: Buffalo, NY


Re: A Tweet Too Far ?

Postby Watson on July 2nd, 2017, 10:21 pm 

Now you are making excuses for trump. It is an unnecessary generalization, and probably a relatively small segment that actually hate trump. The only trusted "unbiased and impartial" opinions we have are those formed after seeing and hearing trump doing what he does. If people have a negative opinion of trump, it is because he does stuff in public. Just stop with the hater crap. It really is not of any relevance.
User avatar
Watson
Resident Member
 
Posts: 4411
Joined: 19 Apr 2009
Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.


Re: A Tweet Too Far ?

Postby Old Rasputin on July 2nd, 2017, 11:20 pm 

Watson wrote:It is an unnecessary generalization, and probably a relatively small segment that actually hate trump.

Seriously? I STRONGLY disagree. There are a lot of Kathy Griffins out there. …a lot of hate towards Trump.

From my world, I see Trump hate in the mainstream media, I see Trump hate on TV talk shows, comedy shows, and in Hollywood in general. I see Trump hate by many sport athletes, most democrats, and even some republicans. I see Trump hate from friends and family members, and people in my industry. Or am I just delusional?

Watson wrote:Just stop with the hater crap. It really is not of any relevance.

Are your eyes closed? Is all this “hate crap” not really happening in our country right now? Am I just imagining all this?

Watson, I noticed that you didn't answer my multiple choice questionnaire. Why?
User avatar
Old Rasputin
Banned User
 
Posts: 237
Joined: 02 Feb 2016


Re: A Tweet Too Far ?

Postby Watson on July 2nd, 2017, 11:50 pm 

Yes, delusional. Finally we have hit on something. You seem to have populated your reality with haters, as a way to cope with a misplaced hero worship. There is a reason he is the butt of jokes, scorn and derision.

But it's not you. It's the rest of the world with a problem? Listen to your family.
User avatar
Watson
Resident Member
 
Posts: 4411
Joined: 19 Apr 2009
Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.


Re: A Tweet Too Far ?

Postby Old Rasputin on July 3rd, 2017, 12:44 am 

Old Rasputin wrote:Or am I just delusional?

Watson wrote:Yes, delusional.

Thanks for setting me straight! (…everybody loves Trump, …everybody loves Trump, …everybody loves Trump)
User avatar
Old Rasputin
Banned User
 
Posts: 237
Joined: 02 Feb 2016


PreviousNext

Return to News Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests