A Tweet Too Far ?

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Re: A Tweet Too Far ?

Postby zetreque on November 5th, 2017, 8:58 pm 

Here is an interesting case.

Twitter users sue Donald Trump for blocking them over critical comments
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... -institute

A list of people he blocked before that lawsuit in July. So I'm sure it's much larger.
https://www.wired.com/story/donald-trum ... r-blocked/

What I'm curious about is how many people have him blocked.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation ... story.html
But in an interview Wednesday, Citron said her views had changed. Since Trump has come to use his personal account for official government business — announcing changes in military policy and staffing through his @realDonaldTrump handle — Citron now says the president could be violating the First Amendment by blocking dissenting viewpoints.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby someguy1 on November 5th, 2017, 9:04 pm 

Since Trump uses his Twitter to announce government policy, it seems reasonable that he has no right to block someone from his Twitter, any more than he'd have the right to prohibit you from watching a Sarah Huckabee press conference. But hasn't he blocked certain news outlets from his press conferences? Is that legal? I don't remember how that came out.

Legal rights around Twitter are developing rapidly. There are lawsuits against Twitter for viewpoint censorship. The question of whether Twitter is a private company or a de facto public utility is working its way through our legal system.

Also it was funny the other day that some low-level Twitter employee on their last day of work at the company deleted Trump's account.
someguy1

Postby zetreque on November 5th, 2017, 9:08 pm 

Twitter being a private company probably has the right to terminate Trump's account. Would have to look into their terms of service. The grey area might be if they think he is jeopardizing the safety of the country through tweets which increase hate or violence.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby toucana on November 12th, 2017, 5:22 am 

Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 09.11.23.png

To which Senator John McCain replied on his official senate webpage:
“President Trump today stated that he believed Vladimir Putin is being sincere when he denies Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election and reiterated that he hopes to cooperate with Russia in Syria. There’s nothing ‘America First’ about taking the word of a KGB colonel over that of the American intelligence community. There’s no ‘principled realism’ in cooperating with Russia to prop up the murderous Assad regime, which remains the greatest obstacle to a political solution that would bring an end to the bloodshed in Syria. Vladimir Putin does not have America’s interests at heart. To believe otherwise is not only naive but also places our national security at risk.”
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby zetreque on November 12th, 2017, 12:19 pm 

President Chump

Former U.S. intelligence officials: Trump being ‘played’ by Putin
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... -by-putin/

Last night he posted a scary tweet insulting NK again. This Thanksgiving I will just be grateful if imbecile chump hasn't gotten us nuked yet. It's crazy we have a president this childish.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Braininvat on November 13th, 2017, 1:51 pm 

Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on November 15th, 2017, 10:43 am 

Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on November 15th, 2017, 2:46 pm 

Ever since the election I have wanted to fly the American flag upsidedown but I don't want to deal with the repercussions and I doubt it would make much of a difference unless it did turn into a controversy. Too bad that isn't a movement similar to the one above where I mentioned the trend of people flying police themed American flags. I don't care what anyone says, a large percentage of this country is in serious distress over what's going on in the government.

People must not forget the hundreds of thousands who marched in protest over the past year.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby toucana on December 2nd, 2017, 4:35 pm 

Trump_Lies.png

Problem - If Trump knew at the time he sacked General Flynn in January 2017 that Flynn had been caught lying to the FBI as well as to VP Mike Pence, then that means that Trump was guilty of attempted obstruction of justice when he approached FBI director James Comey several days later and asked him to let Flynn off from any further investigation into the Russian collusion scandal .

(Why ? - Because lying to the FBI in the course of a criminal investigation is a felony offence. This Tweet will be Exhibit A in Trump's trial.)
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby toucana on December 2nd, 2017, 5:15 pm 

toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby Braininvat on December 2nd, 2017, 9:13 pm 

I just surfed over here to SPCF to post the same link.

I'm not sure our finest political satirists could make this stuff up. Yes, Trump just implicated himself in obstruction of justice, and not just attempted obstruction. Flynn could have been charged much earlier, if Trump had cooperated with the DOJ concerning his knowledge of Flynn's falsehoods. He's got legal cover, I guess, on the firing of Comey, but that wouldn't necessarily protect him in the larger picture where it seems more apparent that he was trying to deflect the FBI from pursuing Flynn.

Thursday was Jonathan Swift's 350 birthday. Swift would surely be enjoying this madness.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby jocular on December 2nd, 2017, 9:41 pm 

Does it look like Trump's team (=I Trump ;-) ) were trying to get dirt on Clinton by offering potential concessions to Russia in the event he would win the election?

Any more to it than that (of course obstructing justice would be "more".I just mean would that sum up the primary motivation and first actions?)
jocular

Postby toucana on December 3rd, 2017, 8:03 am 

It gets better:

Members of Trump's team are now trying to tell the Washington Post that what MSNBC's Lawrence O'Donnell has called 'the most self-destructive tweet in history' was written not by President Trump, but by an attorney on his personal private staff called John Dowd.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-obstruction-justice-claims-michael-flynn-fbi-tweet-russia-investigation-latest-a8089171.html

This raises two possibilities:

- Either Donald Trump is relying on the services of the most comically incompetent lawyer in modern history, one who apparently either slept his way through law college, or bought his degree online from 'Trump University'.

- He's lying (again).
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby jocular on December 3rd, 2017, 11:46 am 

toucana » December 3rd, 2017, 8:03 am wrote:
This raises two possibilities:

- Either Donald Trump is relying on the services of the most comically incompetent lawyer in modern history, one who apparently either slept his way through law college, or bought his degree online from 'Trump University'.

- He's lying (again).

Or this lawyer is providing deniability by taking the fall ? (they might both say "it was him" and create a grey area of uncertainty)

What if Trump claims he mangled the verbal advice from his lawyer and "misquoted" (+he was tired) ?

EDIT: Does the buck now stop with(one of?) the Prez's lawyer?
jocular

Postby toucana on December 3rd, 2017, 12:22 pm 

Comey_lies.png

Dear Donald - Would you like the bad news first, or the *really* bad news first ?

- Former FBI director James Comey testified on oath at a congressional hearing on 8 June that you asked him to abandon the criminal enquiry into Michael Flynn on 14 February, and he also had the foresight to take contemporaneous notes and to circulate them as memoranda to other senior FBI colleagues at the time.

- James Comey was carrying a mobile phone rigged with an SS7 exploit that recorded everything that you said to him. That was why he smiled so broadly when you posted that menacing tweet about "Comey had better hope there are no tapes".

https://patribotics.blog/2017/06/13/exclusive-director-comey-legally-taped-calls-meetings-with-trump/
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby zetreque on December 5th, 2017, 2:23 am 

We really need to end trump before he ends us both physically and morally.

Race between physical destruction of United States at hands of Marshal Kim Jong-Un, and moral destruction at hands of Donald Trump, said to be too close to call.

https://twitter.com/DPRK_News/status/937784518118903810
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Braininvat on December 5th, 2017, 12:54 pm 

Nice photoshopped pic!

Good piece in the NYT today (don't have link atm) on why it will be more practical to impeach than to prosecute. NYT gives you 10 free articles each month - if you have any left, this is worth reading.

One more injustice I was reminded of yesterday was that Billy Bush, the tv host who was the one laughing and playing along with Trump's infamous Access Hollywood tape remarks, lost his job for that while the other guy became POTUS. Bush, on Colbert last night, which I caught a piece of, said that at the time he thought Trump was doing some kind of comedy thing - as did others on the bus. I can see that. When you hear the whole tape, it does sound like some kind of shtick someone would make up to get a cheap laugh with a bunch of guys. I can credit that Bush, once he realized Trump meant all that, and that there were 20-plus women who had been victimized by Trump, was mortified. So I am feeling like maybe Bush's big sin was being clueless, and that's hardly grounds for firing from a U.S. television network.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on December 5th, 2017, 1:24 pm 

I saw it. Billy Bush calls for the conversation to continue but of course I noticed that the moment his article came out it quickly moved to the bottom of the headlines again. He is so right, there is so much garbage going on that the conversation doesn't continue because people get distracted by the next thing.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to News Discussion Forum