Oh Canada

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Oh Canada

Postby Watson on July 5th, 2017, 12:28 pm 

Before the Canadian senate is Bill C-210 to amend the National Anthem Act.
The Canadian senate finds it important enough an issue that "in all thy son's command" may not be inclusive enough. They are debating the change in lyrical gender equality, to be "in all of us command".
A small change, with an equally small change to the significance's of the words and their meaning, not to mention it is grammatically awkward. Yet, important enough the senate debates it, or unimportant enough to leave it as is. Either way, since changes are considered and debated, I have a word to change. Several weeks ago I put a suggestion in the Prime Minister's Suggestion Box.
The words of our national anthem are being reviewed and debated for possible changes to the lyrics. If the words are to be changed, I suggest a word be changed to more accurately reflect the First Nation's role in our countries history. I suggest "Our home and native land" be changed to "Our home on native land." It is a small change, but it is an important acknowledgement we should be making. It is much less ambiguous, and very much appropriate considering the Canada 150+.
Please advise how to best proceed.

Canada 150 can recognize, with one word, the historical significance of the cultures that were here, long before there was a Canada? Maybe the senate can debate the change of one more word, and debate cultural equality as well.

I sent the suggestion to privateoffice@govmu.org a month ago, and have heard nothing back.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/senate- ... -1.4053013
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Re: Oh Canada

Postby Braininvat on July 5th, 2017, 12:36 pm 

I liked your original typo (which you fixed), "In olive us command." Sounded like martial law, until I figured out you were using dictation software.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on July 5th, 2017, 1:31 pm 

Apologies are one thing - the easy one.
Reconciliation and an attempt at legal justice is another - not so easy, but doable.
Land-claim resolutions and financial restitutions are another - difficult, but not impossible.
A public admission of illegitimacy every time we celebrate nationhood?
I don't think they'll go for it.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Watson on July 5th, 2017, 1:55 pm 

OK, I'll put you down as, not a no?
Admittedly even a small public reaction against the idea would resound strongly against the political will for any change. But I don't think it is an admission of illegitimacy, as much as it is the acknowledgement of the native lands and their cultures. And yes we should be celebrating it as part of our nationhood, because it is part of our nationhood.
Whether they will go for it? Of course they will, eventually. Maybe Canada 200, the + won't be needed.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Return to News Discussion Forum