Whatever You do ...

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Whatever You do ...

Postby toucana on July 7th, 2017, 2:45 pm 

toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (7)

Re: Whatever You do ...

Postby Braininvat on July 7th, 2017, 4:02 pm 

Not that I am remotely a Pence fan, but is there possibly more to this story? Also, why is the phrase inside quotation marks?
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby BioWizard on July 7th, 2017, 4:55 pm 

Braininvat » 07 Jul 2017 03:02 pm wrote:Also, why is the phrase inside quotation marks?

Maybe it's a euphemism for do not fondle?
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby someguy1 on July 7th, 2017, 7:51 pm 

Trump and Putin agreed on a ceasefire in Syria today.

Funny how the MSM and others prefer to focus on handshakes and silly gotchas.
someguy1

Postby Braininvat on July 8th, 2017, 12:50 am 

So how did you hear of the proposed ceasefire?

What's interesting to me is that we don't know any of what passed between Don and Vlad, as no note-takers were allowed. I imagine there were some intimate moments.

The hardware touching might be a gotcha story. We are talking huffpost, so no real surprise there.

Nyt and NPR both focused on the G20, AFAICT.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby wolfhnd on July 8th, 2017, 1:20 am 

Like I keep saying in the age of fake news court jesters are the only members of the court who can speak the truth. It is not so much that they know the truth but that they are uninhibited by the conventional standards. Anyone who isn't a clown is going to only say what the court wants to hear. The commoners love the clowns because the court is always lying to them. Sometimes the clowns may even be a little wiser than we want to believe.
wolfhnd
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Watson on July 8th, 2017, 10:57 am 

The parenthesis are obviously an emphasis on the seriousness of the signage, for those that can not read. But the sign itself is meant for the regular people, not those of higher political authority, or those distracted by shiny surfaces.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby Old Rasputin on July 8th, 2017, 2:20 pm 

Braininvat wrote:So how did you hear of the proposed ceasefire?

For the non-fake news of G20 meetings, check out https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/07/07/press-briefing-presidents-meetings-g20-july-7-2017
Old Rasputin
Banned User

Postby Watson on July 8th, 2017, 3:44 pm 

That seems to me to be a lot of words, saying relatively little. It seems more like an itinerary than news.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby toucana on July 8th, 2017, 5:40 pm 

It is quite amusingly similar to the breathless and self-congratulatory prose style found on certain other official government websites such as this one :

http://onecoreanetwork.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/historic-may.html

It's the official press blog of the DPRK or North Korean state government of Kim Jong-un describing his achievements in the month of May.

Supreme leader Kim Jong Un was elected as Chairman of the WPK in the congress.

The election created a great jubilation among the Korean nation and the world progressives. The world people fully realized that, under the wise leadership of the supreme leader, the ever-victorious history of the WPK and Korean people will last forever.

Despite the world reactionaries' frantic maneuvers of isolation and strangulation, the DPRK is winning victory after victory keeping up the banner of independence. It is entirely attributable to the supreme leader who leads the revolution and construction.

Perhaps they share a copywriter ?
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby Old Rasputin on July 8th, 2017, 7:17 pm 

Can you guys ever say anything good about the current administration? Or is EVERYTHING they do bad/wrong?

Can Trump ever do good? And if so, do you have the capability to admit/say so?
Old Rasputin
Banned User

Postby someguy1 on July 8th, 2017, 8:21 pm 

Old Rasputin » July 8th, 2017, 5:17 pm wrote:Can you guys ever say anything good about the current administration? Or is EVERYTHING they do bad/wrong?

I think Trump and his family did great at the G-20. Many Trump haters simply can't see through their total hatred of the guy. I see his faults but credit him when he does a good job. The fact that I have hated Hillary Clinton since Travelgate in 1993 might be a factor.
someguy1

Postby Sivad on July 8th, 2017, 8:44 pm 

Old Rasputin » July 8th, 2017, 4:17 pm wrote:Can you guys ever say anything good about the current administration? Or is EVERYTHING they do bad/wrong?

Trump is a crook, so even if a few of his policies have some limited incidental benefits for the general public none of them are intended to promote the general welfare. Trump's policies are meant to advance his own personal and class interests. Barrack Obama was only slightly better in that respect, his presidency was primarily about advancing an elitist agenda, only the class of people he was working for have a more enlightened sense of self interest so his policies were more socially responsible. Obama was working toward a kind of sustainable elitism in the tradition of the Round Table movement, Trump and his ilk are just rapacious and reckless.
Sivad

Postby Watson on July 8th, 2017, 10:31 pm 

Old Rasputin » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:17 pm wrote:Can you guys ever say anything good about the current administration? Or is EVERYTHING they do bad/wrong?

All I said was, it isn't really news. And if it sounds like self aggrandizing propaganda to feed a weak minded population, I can not disagree. You are the one that put it forward as news, so maybe they are speaking to you?
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on July 8th, 2017, 11:58 pm 

Old Rasputin » July 8th, 2017, 6:17 pm wrote:Can you guys ever say anything good about the current administration? Or is EVERYTHING they do bad/wrong?

What I've heard of so far, yes.

Love to! List the good things he's done.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby toucana on July 9th, 2017, 3:46 am 

Here is an interesting piece by Chris Uhlmann for ABC News, the main national broadcasting corporation of Australia, assessing President Trump's performance at the G20 summit of world leaders.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-09/did-trumps-g20-performance-indicate-us-decline-as-world-power/8691538

One point in particular seems unanswerable:

Given the US was always going to be one out on climate change, a deft American President would have found an issue around which he could rally most of the leaders.

He had the perfect vehicle — North Korea's missile tests.

So, where was the G20 statement condemning North Korea? That would have put pressure on China and Russia? Other leaders expected it and they were prepared to back it but it never came.

Answers on a postcard ?
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby Old Rasputin on July 9th, 2017, 7:53 am 

Hey guys, look in the mirror. Do you see any resemblance to the kkk?

Do you see your perceived 'superiority' over another group of people (i.e.Trump and his "dumb" voter/supporters)?

Do you claim to be 'fully justified' (as do all hate groups) of your strong dislike (aka hate) towards Trump and his supporters?

Do you see what I see?

Can you be honest with yourself, or will you respond back with more hateful rhetoric?
Old Rasputin
Banned User

Postby Watson on July 9th, 2017, 10:24 am 

How old are you.
Really?
Do you have even a f***ing clue what the KKK is all about, or what they have done, or what they represent to a good portion of the US population. What has anyone here said, to give you the impression that we would hide behind sheets, and drag a neighbors child on a rope behind a truck. Or, hang a person until they are dead, because they don't have blue eyes and white skin.
So no. There is no resemblance to that group.

You are once again justifying your thinking with this 'If you don't agree with me, you must HATE him' nonsense. Like it is the only explanation to your single minded thinking.

Grow up, fool.
-Mr. T
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on July 9th, 2017, 11:38 am 

3 strikes and yer out. The KKK comparison is a serious ad hominem. Not a suitable style of rhetoric for SPCF.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby toucana on July 9th, 2017, 2:03 pm 

by Old Rasputin on Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:53 pm

Hey guys, look in the mirror. Do you see any resemblance to the kkk?

Nope. Think you've got me confused with the current Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

You do remember him ? The attorney who was refused a federal judgeship in the US District Court for the Southern District Circuit of Alabama all the way back in 1986 during the Reagan era because he was fond of referring to black civil rights lawyers as 'boys', and called a white civil rights activist " a disgrace to his race "?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Sessions

One of the better quotes attributed to Jeff Sessions during those confirmation hearings back in 1986 was when he was quoted by Thomas Figures, a black US Assistant Attorney as once having said in his hearing
I used to think the Klu Klux Clan was OK until I found out they smoked pot.

He didn't even deny having said that incidentally, he just claimed he was only joking.

Jeff Sessions subsequently became only the second federal judiciary nominee in 48 years to have his nomination quashed by the Senate Judiciary committee.
Last edited by toucana on July 9th, 2017, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Return to News Discussion Forum