Florida Teens To Face Drowning Video Charges

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Florida Teens To Face Drowning Video Charges

Postby toucana on July 22nd, 2017, 9:12 am 

NotSwimming.jpg

Five Florida teenagers who watched a man drowning in a pond and failed to assist him may now face criminal charges.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/21/us/florida-teens-drowning-man/index.html

Cocoa Police Chief Michael Cantaloupe said Friday he will recommend the state attorney prosecute the teens under a statute that requires a person with knowledge of a death to notify a medical examiner. The state attorney will decide whether to file the charges, which would be a misdemeanor under that statute.

Jamel Dunn, 31, died July 9 after entering the water for unknown reasons. He was reported missing by his family on 12 July, and his body was recovered from the water on 14 July. Police then discovered that five teenagers aged 14 to 16 had witnessed the victim drowning but had chosen to mock and film him struggling in the water, before walking away without making any attempt to rescue him or summon assistance. They subsequently posted their video on YouTube.

"At least one of the teens expressed no remorse while being interviewed by detectives," Cocoa Police Department spokeswoman Yvonne Martinez said.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (7)

Re: Florida Teens To Face Drowning Video Charges

Postby BioWizard on July 22nd, 2017, 9:48 am 

Maybe they misinterpreted that sign and thought it said if you see someone drowning, "lol" and post it on social media?

On one hand I want to see them some sort of punished for being so careless with human life, but on the other hand I don't know if it is justifiable to prosecute them?

Either way, I can't fathom how you can see someone dying and not even attempt to help them, let alone mock and laugh at them.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Braininvat on July 22nd, 2017, 10:33 am 

I thought that sign's graphic was weird, for the same reason. I don't know FL law, but some states have a (don't recall the precise term) "duty to help" law, where it is prosecutable if you don't come to the aid of someone in a life-threatening situation. The fact that our society needs such a law is incredibly sad to me.

http://blogs.findlaw.com/law_and_life/2015/05/in-which-states-do-i-have-a-duty-to-help.html
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Alizeh on August 5th, 2017, 2:14 am 

In my view if a person is capable of saving anyone's life he should save it himself instead of calling 911.
Alizeh
Forum Neophyte

Postby BadgerJelly on August 5th, 2017, 2:47 am 

The obvious thing to do would be to take them to one side individually and tell them the court had decided to allow them to drown whilst being filmed and mocked by family of the drowned man.

You then set up a situation where they believe they will die and with a group of actors playing the family. Take them close to edge. Make them believe they are going to die.

It seems the only reasonabke thing to do to me. Make them appreciate what they found so amusing. No doubt they would be crying out for help and suddenly understand what they had done.

Note : I would happily set up such a scenario without the slightest flinch. I really think the idea of an eye for an eye works in many situations. Although when it comes to physical harm and literally taking an eye for an eye I am much more reserved because most cases are not so obvious.

To allow people like that to simply walk away with a shrug is not justified in my mind. They should be held responsible.

I don't think it is very difficult to see how wrong their actions were. We shouldn't shrug ourselves and make excuses for vile acts. They should face consequences. Sadly the law will likely protect them because the law can be manipulated to suit almost any whim if money in involved.

No doubt soem retribution will come their way in the form of social justice. If their friends and family know what they did it will likely cause them many problems. I cannot help think what kind of family they have to act so badly? Saying that it is not always the parents fault.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on August 5th, 2017, 10:08 am 

The behavior struck me as psychopathic. To what degree race was a factor I can't tell from the information given (beyond that the first name, Jamel, would be very uncommonly given to a white person in the U.S.).
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby zetreque on August 5th, 2017, 12:46 pm 

I read that sign as "lol" then it took me a moment to realize it wasn't a joke and it was supposed to be a person with it's arms up. Makes me wonder if this is fake news.

Not surprising that this kind of stuff is happening given the role models they have in the govt.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby someguy1 on August 5th, 2017, 3:23 pm 

Famous 2011 case in Alameda, California (suburb of SF). Cops and firefighters stood around and watched a man drown. They said they "didn't have the training" to save him. Afterward a bystander waded into the water to retrieve the dead body.

http://abc7news.com/archive/8161285/

""We're not trained to go into the water, obviously the type of gear that we have on, we don't have the type of equipment that you would use to go into the water," Alameda Police Lt. Joe McNiff said."

and

"Alameda firefighters could not even go into the water to get the body, so they waited until a woman in her 20s volunteered to bring the body back to the beach."

zetreque » August 5th, 2017, 10:46 am wrote:Not surprising that this kind of stuff is happening given the role models they have in the govt.

Yes blame this recent case on Trump, if you're willing to blame the 2011 case on Obama. Partisanship interfering with your critical thinking?
someguy1

Postby zetreque on August 5th, 2017, 3:34 pm 

It's actually dangerous saving a drown victim because in their state of panic they could drown you.
http://io9.gizmodo.com/why-rescuers-die ... 1680233920

and yes I will blame it on the government mentality and the attitude of where society is headed. There is a significant difference in peoples attitude since the election. I could introduce you to multiple people who just don't give a shit anymore.

Check out "Brain Games" on netflix Season 4 Episode 1: Compassion
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby someguy1 on August 5th, 2017, 4:34 pm 

zetreque » August 5th, 2017, 1:34 pm wrote:It's actually dangerous saving a drown victim because in their state of panic they could drown you.
http://io9.gizmodo.com/why-rescuers-die ... 1680233920

Then you are saying the kids were right not to try to save the guy.

zetreque » August 5th, 2017, 1:34 pm wrote:and yes I will blame it on the government mentality and the attitude of where society is headed. There is a significant difference in peoples attitude since the election. I could introduce you to multiple people who just don't give a shit anymore.

So is the 2011 incident due to Obama? I could "introduce you to multiple people" whose anecdotal evidence would mean ... nothing at all. In fact I could introduce you to one person with multiple personalities. Does that count as evidence to you?
someguy1

Postby zetreque on August 5th, 2017, 5:07 pm 

It is my opinion from my experience that things are getting worse and the current govt is an example of far worse which gives us bad role models for society. Check out that Brain Games episode. The show is fun.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Braininvat on August 5th, 2017, 5:31 pm 

Good grief, I was a teenager during the Nixon administration. We didn't all turn into sociopaths because we had some in the WH. Really, when was this that teenagers looked to politicians as role models??
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby zetreque on August 5th, 2017, 5:35 pm 

Braininvat » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:31 pm wrote:Good grief, I was a teenager during the Nixon administration. We didn't all turn into sociopaths because we had some in the WH. Really, when was this that teenagers looked to politicians as role models??

My comment comes partially from that brain games episode. Without that, the context is lost. Emotions are transmitted through society influencing people's behavior and actions. I'm not talking about the obvious direct in plane sight interaction/causation but the whole far reaching vibe.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Return to News Discussion Forum