Scaramucci Out

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Scaramucci Out

Postby toucana on July 31st, 2017, 3:29 pm 

Well that didn't take very long.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40782299

White House communications director Anthony Scaramucci is out of the job after less than 10 days in the post. The former financier, who took the job last Friday, had drawn criticism after calling a reporter to give a profanity-laced tirade against his colleagues.

Mr Trump's chief of staff Reince Priebus and spokesman Sean Spicer both left their post over his appointment. The decision was made by Mr Trump's new chief of staff, John Kelly, US media report. A statement is expected soon.
Earlier in the day, Mr Trump tweeted about job and wage figures, and insisted there is "No WH chaos", referring to reports about fighting among White House staff.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (7)

Re: Scaramucci Out

Postby Braininvat on July 31st, 2017, 5:36 pm 

I don't have the link, but the National Review piece comparing him to a character in "Glengarry Glen Ross," was priceless. I am going to miss him for the entertainment value. In some ways more amusing than his name-twin in la commedia dell"arte.

In the Punch and Judy puppet shows....

Scaramouche is one of the great characters in the Punch and Judy puppet shows (a performative art with roots in commedia dell'arte). In some scenarios, he is the owner of The Dog, another stock character. During performances, Punch frequently strikes Scaramouche, causing his head to come off his shoulders. Because of this, the term scaramouche has become associated with a class of puppets with extendable necks.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Sivad on July 31st, 2017, 5:57 pm 

Braininvat » July 31st, 2017, 2:36 pm wrote: I am going to miss him for the entertainment value.

I try to let that cheer me up but this whole situation is just depressing. It's hard to believe that this our reality and the implications are just too ugly to contemplate. White trash rules America ...ugh.
Sivad

Postby Braininvat on July 31st, 2017, 6:24 pm 

Yes. I'll admit there have been occasions in the past year when I was more inclined to consider the possibility that we are all living in a computer simulation created by a mischevious teenager in the year 4587. This is his History class homework and he's going to get a D minus.

I guess it's remotely possible that Kelly can impose some order on the chaos...but it only usually takes Trump 5 minutes to restore the chaos.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby toucana on July 31st, 2017, 7:38 pm 

Think this was the article BIV:
If you’re wondering where Anthony Scaramucci learned to talk and behave like such a Scaramuccia, ask him how many times he’s seen Glengarry Glen Ross.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/449988/donald-trump-cant-close-deal-failing-salesman
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby zetreque on July 31st, 2017, 8:54 pm 

Sivad » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:57 pm wrote:
Braininvat » July 31st, 2017, 2:36 pm wrote: I am going to miss him for the entertainment value.

I try to let that cheer me up but this whole situation is just depressing. It's hard to believe that this our reality and the implications are just too ugly to contemplate. White trash rules America ...ugh.

Even more sad, news like this is making it as whole threads on a forum. Like wth? The country has gotten so bad that the day to day temporary people in the WH are making it as national news at deep levels.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby zetreque on July 31st, 2017, 9:01 pm 

like it's good that people are paying attention now but I think the wrong people are paying attention probably. Ones that are into that kind of reality tv show baloney. I guess you could look at it as a good thing and a bad thing depending.

Like also we might consider that soap opera government is more transparent but then it's not because TV only shows you what they want you to see so it doesn't matter anyway.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby toucana on July 31st, 2017, 9:12 pm 

Yes. I'll admit there have been occasions in the past year when I was more inclined to consider the possibility that we are all living in a computer simulation created by a mischevious teenager in the year 4587. This is his History class homework and he's going to get a D minus.

You remember the excellent sci-fi film about simulations within simulations The Thirteenth Floor (2000) and its throwback sub-plot to the Los Angeles of 1937 ?

Well how about the possibility that the current reality of the Trump administration is an illiterate pastiche of the career of the 1930s Louisiana demagogue Huey Long (1893-1935).

The Daily Beast recently published an excellent retrospective on Huey Long's career that focused on him tearing down the original governor's mansion in Baton Rouge, and building an exact replica of the White House in its place (at public expense) allegedly so that he "would know where the light switches were when he was elected president".

http://www.thedailybeast.com/strippers-insane-asylums-assassination-and-termites-inside-the-insane-history-of-the-worlds-greatest-white-house-replica

It's well worth reading because Huey Long was one of the few US politicians of the last century or so whose career bears any comparison with that of Donald Trump. But he never made it to the White House. He was assassinated in 1935, just a month after announcing he was running for the presidency.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby Dave_Oblad on July 31st, 2017, 9:34 pm 

Hi all,

Don't want to step on Scott Adams copyrights, so I'm just linking to his post related to the above comments about living in a simulation:

http://dilbert.com/strip/2017-07-31

BTW.. Yes, I loved the movie "The Thirteenth Floor".

Regards,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Eclogite on August 1st, 2017, 1:12 am 

toucana » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:38 pm wrote:Think this was the article BIV:
If you’re wondering where Anthony Scaramucci learned to talk and behave like such a Scaramuccia, ask him how many times he’s seen Glengarry Glen Ross.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/449988/donald-trump-cant-close-deal-failing-salesman

Wow! Thank you for that. Imagine how that would have read if he said what he really thought! You can actually hear the blade grinding against the vertebrae.
Eclogite
Forum Moderator

Postby BadgerJelly on August 1st, 2017, 3:43 am 

No more front stabbing :(

This whole debarcle may just get a little less entertaining :(
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby toucana on August 1st, 2017, 5:46 am 

Just to cap spectacularly bad week, it transpires that Anthony Scaramucci has been wrongly listed as 'deceased' in the Harvard Law School Alumni directory.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/anthony-scaramucci-donald-trump-fired-communications-director-dead-harvard-law-school-alumni-mistake-a7870146.html

The 53 year old financier is a 1989 graduate of the Ivy League university, but the directory mailed to alumni this week had an asterisk next to Mr. Scaramucci's name, indicating he had died, The Washington Post and CBS News reported on Monday.

Harvard Law School acknowledged the directory error in a statement and apologised to Mr. Scaramucci. They say that the directory which is only published every five years will be updated in future editions.

Presumably being a member of the 'undead' would have created significant complications in obtaining a WH security clearance ?
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby jocular on August 1st, 2017, 6:01 am 

An interesting idea this "front stabbing". Are we to believe that these "front stabbers" are totally up front?

Exceptional paragons of honesty in a devious underhand world?

How do the rationalize the corners they have to cut when needed*? Blame the devious back stabbers for the environment they are forced to operate in?

Apparently Trump (re?) wrote the statement that his son delivered about his recently disclosed meeting with the Russian journalist et al.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40786411
jocular

Return to News Discussion Forum