'Don't Be A Sucker'

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

'Don't Be A Sucker'

Postby toucana on August 15th, 2017, 6:04 am 

An oddly prescient US propaganda film from the 1940s has found a new viral audience in the wake of the nazi rally in Charlottesville last weekend.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/8/14/16143782/dont-be-a-sucker-propaganda-charlottesville-nazi-racism

'Don’t Be A Sucker' was originally scripted and filmed by the US Army Signal Corps in 1943. It was re-released for wider public viewing in 1946 and 1947 in two slightly different versions with the permission of the War Department.

The film begins with an affluent but impressionable young businessman called Mike (Robert Bailey) who is standing in a square listening to a soapbox american nazi orator (Richard Lane) fulminating against negroes and foreigners who are "stealing our jobs”.

Mike is joined by an older man (Paul Lukas) with a foreign accent who sighs and says “I’ve heard this kind of talk before, but I never expected to hear it in America,”. Mike however says “It all seems to make good sense to me” and is nodding along until the orator recites a list of enemies that happens to include Freemasons.

“Freemasons ? - Hang on what’s wrong with Freemasons” Mike exclaims, “I’m a Freemason myself !”

“It’s different when they start talking about you isn’t it?” says the older man who now introduces himself as a refugee Hungarian university professor who had witnessed the violence of the brown shirt Sturmabteilung on the streets of Berlin in 1932, and the subsequent rise of Nazism in Germany as a whole.

The film hammers home the message that the Nazis weren’t strong enough to defeat a united Germany, so they broke it down into smaller pieces that could be made to turn on each other, and then abolished science, truth, and reason to complete their criminal conspiracy to seize power and wage war.

The Hungarian professor tells Mike - “Remember, whenever you hear this kind of talk, someone else is always getting something out of it, and it isn’t going to be you”.

The film was later the subject of an academic study by Cooper and Dinerman — working with the Department of Scientific Research of the American Jewish Committee at the Institute of Social Research — They explored how viewers’ attitudes were affected by the film, particularly those of high school students. They published their findings in 1951.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (7)

Re: 'Don't Be A Sucker'

Postby zetreque on August 16th, 2017, 1:34 am 

How about we just halt all development in the USA period!
Hypocrites need to stop having babies. Babies are just more foreigners invading our spaces.
People have lost their marbles or never had any to begin with. None of it makes any sense. Just a bunch of selfish and short sighted people.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby JMP1958 on October 26th, 2017, 9:54 pm 

Not only do people tend to forget history, sometimes they can even forget their own family history. For example, I have a cousin who is a staunch supporter of Trump, including his wall and travel bans, etc.

But our own grandfather was an immigrant, and as a Finn, considered a minority even by other immigrants at the time, the late 1800's when he came over.(Even today, people with Finnish ancestry only make up 0.2% of the US population.)
The Finnish language and customs were so different from those of other groups, that some people even tried to claim that they were not European but rather Asian and should be refused citizenship under the Asian Exclusion Act.

Yet here she is, railing against Mexicans taking our jobs, or alternatively "feeding off the public teat".
JMP1958
Forum Neophyte

Postby zetreque on October 26th, 2017, 11:18 pm 

Just seems like short shortsightedness. I'm not sure how one could be pro so many of these issues if they saw the bigger picture,... ecologically, historically, economically, etc.ally.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Braininvat on October 27th, 2017, 1:01 pm 

The GOP is gradually being taken over by grievance politics. Pretty much antithetical to everything this country stands for. The recent immigrants in my tree are Norwegians and Swedes. They settled on the plains, where they were numerous enough and white enough and protestant enough, that no one seemed to object. The Irish side of the family, well, that's a different story.

We had Finnish descended neighbors when we lived in Corvallis, OR. The middle child was our son's best friend in those years. Nice family. The paterfamilias said that all the Peltonens in the U.S. were related to each other. Seems likely, given JMP's figure for percent of US population.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby BadgerJelly on October 28th, 2017, 12:43 am 

Reading Orwell's articles recently has certainly shown some common political themes that are parallel to today's world.

Was watching video about how US soldiers should act in the UK during WWII. This and some of the comments about how people in the UK felt about US soldiers is very interesting stuff.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby JMP1958 on October 28th, 2017, 1:00 am 

Braininvat » October 27th, 2017, 10:01 am wrote:The GOP is gradually being taken over by grievance politics. Pretty much antithetical to everything this country stands for. The recent immigrants in my tree are Norwegians and Swedes. They settled on the plains, where they were numerous enough and white enough and protestant enough, that no one seemed to object. The Irish side of the family, well, that's a different story.

We had Finnish descended neighbors when we lived in Corvallis, OR. The middle child was our son's best friend in those years. Nice family. The paterfamilias said that all the Peltonens in the U.S. were related to each other. Seems likely, given JMP's figure for percent of US population.

My Dad's side side settled in North Dakota and had a couple of children before moving to Minnesota where my dad was born. Mom's Dad settled directly in Minn., while her Mom came over as a child with her mother and lived in Boston for a while before moving to Minn. While the percentage of those with Finnish ancestry is small, I belong to an even smaller subset of that; those who have 100% Finnish ancestry.

While it is very likely that everyone in the US with my Mom's maiden name are related in some manner, I can't say the same with my last name. In order to spare his children from possible discrimination, and under the advice of a banker, my grandfather shortened his surname from 4 to 2 syllables, and slightly altered the spelling. It is now spelt the same as a existing English surname.
JMP1958
Forum Neophyte

Return to News Discussion Forum