Mass WH Walkouts Follow Steve Bannon Dismissal

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Mass WH Walkouts Follow Steve Bannon Dismissal

Postby toucana on August 18th, 2017, 6:19 pm 

The dismissal of controversial chief strategist and former Breitbart editor Steve Bannon earlier today has been followed by a spate of mass walkouts of White House staff.

Carl Icahn a billionaire investor has resigned from his role as special advisor to Trump on regulatory reform

http://www.palmerreport.com/opinion/bannon-firing-carl-ichan-resign/4381/

Politico is reporting that George Sifakis, director of the Office of Public Liaison, has also announced his resignation this afternoon. Sifakis is an ally of Reince Priebus, who was forced out as Chief of Staff three weeks ago. Meanwhile The Hill is reporting that Department of Homeland Security CIO Richard Staropoli is resigning.

This morning, before the Steve Bannon news broke, sixteen members of the Committee on the Arts & the Humanities all announced their resignation en masse. In their group resignation letter they said this to Donald Trump:
Supremacy, discrimination, and vitriol are not American values. Your values are not American values. We must be better than this. We are better than this. If this is not clear to you, then we call on you to resign your office, too.

https://twitter.com/kalpenn/status/898547257062174724
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (7)

Re: Mass WH Walkouts Follow Steve Bannon Dismissal

Postby wolfhnd on August 18th, 2017, 9:52 pm 

I think we need to take a look at the philosophical underpinnings that place the left and the right under a single paradigm of ignoring the individual in preference for a collective power epistemology.

http://www.stephenhicks.org
wolfhnd
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Eclogite on August 19th, 2017, 4:44 am 

wolfhnd » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:52 am wrote:I think we need to take a look at the philosophical underpinnings that place the left and the right under a single paradigm of ignoring the individual in preference for a collective power epistemology.

Could you restate that in simple English a Scotsman might understand.
Eclogite
Forum Moderator

Postby jocular on August 19th, 2017, 9:22 am 

Eclogite » August 19th, 2017, 4:44 am wrote:
wolfhnd » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:52 am wrote:I think we need to take a look at the philosophical underpinnings that place the left and the right under a single paradigm of ignoring the individual in preference for a collective power epistemology.

Could you restate that in simple English a Scotsman might understand.

I think I got it bar the trimmings.But shouldn't wolfhnd tell us (a bit) instead of just giving us a link?

Is he favouring (or just bringing up)anarchic /far right liberal ideas as opposed to the muddle along theory of government?

Something else?
jocular

Postby Eclogite on August 19th, 2017, 9:50 am 

jocular » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:22 pm wrote:I think I got it bar the trimmings.But shouldn't wolfhnd tell us (a bit) instead of just giving us a link?

Is he favouring (or just bringing up)anarchic /far right liberal ideas as opposed to the muddle along theory of government?

Something else?
I didn't even open the link. My feeling is that links should support an argument, not be an essential part of it. (I'm all in favour of anarchism. I've been trying to get it properly organised for years.)
Eclogite
Forum Moderator

Postby jocular on August 19th, 2017, 10:10 am 

Eclogite » August 19th, 2017, 9:50 am wrote:
jocular » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:22 pm wrote:I think I got it bar the trimmings.But shouldn't wolfhnd tell us (a bit) instead of just giving us a link?

Something else?
I didn't even open the link. My feeling is that links should support an argument, not be an essential part of it. (I'm all in favour of anarchism. I've been trying to get it properly organised for years.)
no ,nor did I.
jocular

Postby Braininvat on August 19th, 2017, 10:49 am 

Eclogite » August 19th, 2017, 6:50 am wrote:

Something else?

Rim-shot!

Thomas Jefferson, anarchist, said "That which governs least, governs best." I have some respect for the very far Right, the true small government people, who almost meet up with the far Left in their quest for freedom and decentralization. Both reallly require a more pastoral civlization to be implemented. And wow, are we digressing from the thread topic.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Sivad on August 19th, 2017, 11:03 am 

Braininvat » August 19th, 2017, 7:49 am wrote:
Eclogite » August 19th, 2017, 6:50 am wrote:

Something else?

Rim-shot!

Thomas Jefferson, anarchist, said "That which governs least, governs best." I have some respect for the very far Right, the true small government people, who almost meet up with the far Left in their quest for freedom and decentralization. Both reallly require a more pastoral civlization to be implemented. And wow, are we digressing from the thread topic.

That's just an injunction against over-governing, it's not an argument for under-governing. Thomas Jefferson created a government so he probably wasn't an anarchist.
Sivad

Postby jocular on August 19th, 2017, 11:10 am 

I haven't been paying attention to analyses of the likely consequences of SB's departure.

I feel it is a good thing and hope it will lead to the so called holder of the highest office in the States being even more ludicrously exposed.

Oh to have been a suitably intestinally fortified fly on the wall when those two had their tete a tetes over the past few months.
jocular

Postby Braininvat on August 19th, 2017, 1:00 pm 

That's just an injunction against over-governing, it's not an argument for under-governing. Thomas Jefferson created a government so he probably wasn't an anarchist.

My tone (under-indicated) was jesting. I agree, Tom was no anarchist.

I suffer from news glut so, like Jocular, haven't paid full attention to all the implications of Bannon's booting. My best case: Trump will fall under slightly better influences. My worst case: Bannon, back at Dimbart News, further rallies the alt-Right faithful which then further escalates our nation's culture wars and the ascendancy of "Post-Truth."
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Sivad on August 19th, 2017, 1:50 pm 

Braininvat » August 19th, 2017, 10:00 am wrote:My tone (under-indicated) was jesting. I agree, Tom was no anarchist.

I'm sorry, I'm mostly an idiot and came home drunk and posted as a drunken idiot. I could claim I'm better at math and sarcasm when I'm sober but that would just make everything worse because I would be hard pressed to prove it.
Sivad

Return to News Discussion Forum