Mass Shooting At Las Vegas Music Festival

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Re: Mass Shooting At Las Vegas Music Festival

Postby someguy1 on November 1st, 2017, 12:38 am 

zetreque » October 31st, 2017, 3:56 pm wrote:Need stricter background checks and control for truck rentals now? I didn't even know you could rent a truck at Home Depot.

Truck attack in Manhattan kills 8; mayor calls it act of terror
http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/31/us/new-yo ... index.html

Did the Las Vegas thread get repurposed for today's horror in New York City? Pretty sad commentary when there's a generic thread for the latest mass killing horror. Not even worth its own thread. Things have gotten that bad. FWIW I love Manhattan and I feel this one.

Lone nut car attacks can not be stopped. There's no special equipment or skill needed to run people over. You don't need special training. All you need is the will. Political will, psychopathic will, whatever. The guy drove an Uber, he could have used that as well as a rental truck. Is Home Depot really going to start looking at you crosseyed if you're a swarthy fellow? That's a bad road to go down.
someguy1

Postby zetreque on November 1st, 2017, 12:56 am 

Point is, no lone nut attacks can be prevented. If there is a will, there is a way.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Braininvat on November 1st, 2017, 12:51 pm 

It is sad that we can keep updating this thread with fresh mass murders. No surprise that an Uzbeki who was radicalized and had been working as a truck driver, then an Uber driver, would select a rental truck as weapon of choice. We know that mentally ill people (and I tend to think of someone who would do this as having some degree of mental illness) do not choose optimal solutions in achieving a goal. (why the paintball gun?) A large-magazine assault rifle could yield more deaths, but his twisted mind might see a truck as more terrifying or more protective of him during the carnage or....who knows? I don't know many facts about this guy - it's possible that he just didn't have enough funds to buy an AR-15 or similar, or didn't want to take the time to learn to use one.

I agree there really is no way to completely screen for lone nuts and stop them.

In terms of future technology, there might be steps that are similar to the idea of GPS guns that only fire on your property or at a hunting preserve. Rental vehicles that automatically brake when pedestrians are in the road or, even better, that completely shut down and send a message to law enforcement when someone accelerates towards a pedestrian in the vehicle's path. Then, some nuts, of the more resourceful nature, will switch to hotwiring older vehicles that lack such safety systems.

It could just be that we live on a planet that is so toxic to human sanity that we will have this mass killing problem for a very long time. Who was it, the poet William Carlos Williams, I think, wrote "the pure products of America go crazy...."
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby someguy1 on November 1st, 2017, 3:19 pm 

Braininvat » November 1st, 2017, 10:51 am wrote:... that completely shut down and send a message to law enforcement when someone accelerates towards a pedestrian in the vehicle's path.

Like the carjacker pointing a gun at you?

Don't you think people have a natural right to self-defense?
someguy1

Postby zetreque on November 1st, 2017, 10:04 pm 

And another

Multiple people were shot on Wednesday inside a Walmart store in a Denver suburb, local police said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-colo ... SKBN1D2038

Don't forget. For only a few hundred dollars you can buy a 3D printer to make....
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Braininvat on November 2nd, 2017, 12:44 am 

someguy1 » November 1st, 2017, 12:19 pm wrote:
Braininvat » November 1st, 2017, 10:51 am wrote:... that completely shut down and send a message to law enforcement when someone accelerates towards a pedestrian in the vehicle's path.

Like the carjacker pointing a gun at you?

Don't you think people have a natural right to self-defense?

My point was that it doesn't matter what we do - there's always a workaround. The last sentence of that paragraph was to undermine the previous part. My examples were meant to be problematic, so you caught that aspect. And, quite right, any automated safety system has the potential to become a trap. You'll never get me in a "smart" vehicle.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Previous

Return to News Discussion Forum