Wine Country Fires - 15 Dead, 150 missing.

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Wine Country Fires - 15 Dead, 150 missing.

Postby toucana on October 10th, 2017, 4:48 pm 

Napa.png

Wildfires driven by 80 mph winds have devastated 115,000 acres of land across nine counties in the North Bay area of California.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Latest-on-North-Bay-fires-A-really-rough-12263721.php

The affected counties of Sonoma, Mendocino, Napa and Yupa are home to some of the most famous and fertile wine producing vineyards in the USA. A number of famous wineries and at least one well-known hotel have been destroyed by rapidly expanding fires that took hold on Monday.

Drivers on Highway 101 through Santa Rosa were reporting visibility down to 300 yards at best with the sky completely overcast by ash and smoke clouds. Some 20,000 residents have been forced to flee their homes, and at least 1,500 properties have been destroyed. The known casualty toll is 15 with another 150 reported missing, and a similar number receiving medical treatment in hospitals.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/10/us/california-fires-napa/index.html

There are warnings that wind speeds will increase again later this week adding to the problems facing firefighters. "Even irrigated plants like vines will burn in this sort of wildfire" said one source. A state of emergency has now been declared in the North Bay area.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (7)

Re: Wine Country Fires - 15 Dead, 150 missing.

Postby zetreque on October 12th, 2017, 2:26 am 

http://beta.latimes.com/local/lanow/la- ... story.html

I keep telling people i want to build my house out of brick, concrete and other fireproof materials.
I find it interesting how the trees are standing yet the houses burned to a thin layer of ashes. Yet everything brick remains. Trees are badass and survived eons of fires. Humans are still learning how to live in the world. Especially modern humans that are basically invasive species in most areas.

I'm betting logging companies will jump all over this as another example of why they need to get into our national forests meanwhile forestry departments will ramp up thinning forests making invasive species and extinction rates increase where humans were never meant to build kindle stick structures in the first place.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby toucana on October 12th, 2017, 6:22 am 

My wife and I were staying in this part of California just four weeks ago. We were attending a family wedding that was being hosted at a vineyard just outside Folsom. (Wedding receptions are a popular and lucrative sideline for many of these winery businesses).

The North Bay area was on the back of a five year drought, and when we got there a heatwave of 104F was in progress, with temperatures rising to 110F across the Labour day weekend. We heard that it had dropped some 30 degrees just a fortnight later, but then the Santa Ana winds started up a few days ago and took a blow-torch to the entire area which was already tinder dry.

One of the people we met at the wedding was an expat British novelist (an old schoolfriend of my wife) who had driven over from his home in Napa. We just heard that his house is still standing, but the ones across the street from him are not.

Californians tend to be philosophical about wildfires and earthquakes - (visitor- "My God what was that ??" local - "oh.. about a 4.2"), but this is the flip-side of the west coast dream.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby zetreque on October 12th, 2017, 10:28 am 

Folsom is about 2 hours from Napa.

The heat you experience was fairly normal for that area.

Last winter was not a drought year.

More grass could have grown due to more water we received and since the precip we got was more rain and less snow that could have an effect.

However, the cause of the fires seem suspicious to me having all started the same night within one hour from each other. Last month I was along the coast near there and they had an arsonist running around that the police and forest service forces were in high alert looking for. Then ironically a forester I met there actually told me he thinks they should burn the whole area. That's the type of ridiculous attitude I'm talking about. They have gone to the other extreme of thinking fires are normal and should happen all the time. Problem is, most fires are human caused for a multitude of reasons and there is hard to provide evidence of fire frequency after we build cities over these areas that have already been deforested and devegetized to death.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby toucana on October 13th, 2017, 3:16 am 

According to Wikipedia's note on climate for the Sacramento/Folsom area --> "The normal annual mean temperature is 61.0 °F (16.1 °C), with the monthly daily average temperature ranging from 46.4 °F (8.0 °C) in December to 75.5 °F (24.2 °C) in July.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacramento%2C_California#Climate

110F in early September is abnormal.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby zetreque on October 13th, 2017, 9:52 am 

toucana » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:16 pm wrote:

According to Wikipedia's note on climate for the Sacramento/Folsom area --> "The normal annual mean temperature is 61.0 °F (16.1 °C), with the monthly daily average temperature ranging from 46.4 °F (8.0 °C) in December to 75.5 °F (24.2 °C) in July.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacramento%2C_California#Climate

110F in early September is abnormal.

Ok this is really creepy. I don't know what is going on with the internet lately but I grew up here and would NEVER go to Sacramento because the temperature regularly gets up over 100 deg F
My dad was born there.

Wikipedia says nothing about Sept specifically and all the temperatures I can find atm show averages. I don't have time to waste on this right now but I know where I live.

And weather underground appears to have taken away the ability to go back in history.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on October 13th, 2017, 9:55 am 

Try this one
http://www.intellicast.com/local/histor ... n=USCA0967

record high for Sept is 109F
114F for July.

As I said, it's normal to get up to those temperatures. I didn't say it wasn't a record but it is normal to be that hot there.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Return to News Discussion Forum