Robot gets Saudi citzenship, has more rights than Saudi womn

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Robot gets Saudi citzenship, has more rights than Saudi womn

Postby Braininvat on October 27th, 2017, 7:54 pm 

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-41761856#

Meet Sophia, a robot who made her first public appearance in the Saudi Arabian city of Riyadh on Monday.
Sophia was such a hit she was immediately given Saudi citizenship in front of hundreds of delegates at the Future Investment Initiative in Riyadh on 25 October.
But as pictures and videos of Sophia began circulating on social media many started to ask why a robot already seemed to have secured more rights than women in the country.

Braininvat
Resident Member

Re: Robot gets Saudi citzenship, has more rights than Saudi

Postby toucana on October 29th, 2017, 7:08 am 

A rather interesting thread on the question "Are robots haram in Islam ?" could be found on the islamqa.info site which is devoted to elucidating questions of fiqh or jurisprudence within Islam.

https://islamqa.info/en/47062

The thread says:
Q - Those who used to make pictures will be asked by Allah to put a soul in their creation, and they will eventually be punished very severely, my question is concerning robotics. What are the limitations we should observe in making a robot for example, having various capacities, but not necessarily human shaped(artificial intelligence, camera vision, sensors for touch,etc).

A - Making a robot comes under the ruling on image-making. To sum up, if the machine is made in the shape of a man or an animate being, that is forbidden, and comes under the stern warning that is issued to those who make images and try to imitate the creation of Allaah. It will be said to them on the Day of Resurrection: “Give life to that which you have created.” It also comes under the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Those who will be most severely punished on the Day of Resurrection will be the image-makers.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, no. 5606; Muslim, 2109.

But if the machine is not in the form of an animate being or is incomplete and would not be taken as a human being or animate creature, there is nothing wrong with that.

It should be noted that no matter how far man advances in the field of technology, he will never be able to make anything that is anywhere near the creation of Allaah. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

You will however have to hunt for a cached version of this page because the original (re-posted on 25 October 2017) was then hurriedly deleted.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby someguy1 on October 29th, 2017, 4:09 pm 

I think this AI and robot craze is nuts. Not the technologies themselves, which are amazing. But the public thinking these are new deities. I read that people are starting religions to worship AI's.

I think AI and neural networks and deep learning algorithms and all the amazing mechanical things they're doing with robots is fantastic. The technology is very cool and amazing.

But I would no sooner worship or venerate or give citizenship to a bot, than I would my washing machine.

They're machines. Not gods.

What is wrong with people these days? What is the psychological explanation for why so many people, many of them quite intelligent, believe that AIs are to be venerated and treated as ... what, exactly? Nobody thinks they're self-aware. So why do we venerate piles of circuits and clever programming?
someguy1

Postby Braininvat on October 30th, 2017, 12:20 pm 

Too many movies.

IOW, I think the answer lies more in pop culture than in deep psychology.

In films, AIs (in the true sense of actual artificial consciousness) are presented as either objects of veneration or as fearsome spectres. A lot of people don't realize how far away true AI is, that distant point at which they achieve the neural plasticity and complexity of the biological machines that gave creative birth to them. We have hundreds of pages of threads here on where that point might lie on the timeline. Or if it even exists.

For example, the UK series "Humans," places true AI in an alternative present day. For some people, this contextualization of AI-as-now, sneaks under the radar of rational understanding of where technology is right now. BTW, "Humans" is an excellent series, probably the best look at the possible impact on ordinary humans of true AI. It amply demonstrates that any truly conscious being will have both a good side and a dark side, and that each personality will be different as its personal experiences are etched onto its memory chips. If you've seen the series, you know that "Maxie" and "Niska" are two quite different AIs.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Return to News Discussion Forum