Trump and tax cuts

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Re: Trump and tax cuts

Postby someguy1 on December 29th, 2017, 4:51 pm 

zetreque » December 29th, 2017, 1:24 pm wrote:All the things we can't fund thanks to shrinking government ...

Can you please explain to me what you mean by "shrinking government?"

ps -- The spending keeps on increasing after 2013 as shown here. https://www.usgovernmentspending.com/fe ... ding_chart

And Trump is spending even more.

So what is this government shrinking you claim?
someguy1

Postby Serpent on December 29th, 2017, 5:07 pm 

someguy1 » December 29th, 2017, 3:51 pm wrote:So what is this government shrinking you claim?

Environment, Education, Social services, urban and highway infrastructure, consumer protection, arts, family planning, public broadcasting, parks, public health, NASA...

But, hey, lots more nukes and big tall fences. Thing is, you can add to the civil service, road crews, teachers, social workers and meat inspectors --- you know: Jobs! Jobs! Jobs! and maybe reduce that secret 42% unemployment, a whole lot cheaper than you can buy bombers and battleships.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on December 29th, 2017, 6:33 pm 

How is the government not shrinking? Oh yeah, growing military state and swamp of corporate greedy entities. I guess we will all just work for government contracted wall construction or AT&T.

They aren't done inflating the deficit first though to force the change.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby zetreque on December 29th, 2017, 6:38 pm 

There is more than one article out there on this subject.

EPA Wants 1,200 Employees to Accept Buy Outs, Early Outs
http://www.govexec.com/pay-benefits/201 ... ts/138829/

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/22/clim ... ruitt.html
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on January 5th, 2018, 2:11 pm 

I don't interact with too many people IRL so this could be an unscientific wrong observation but a high percentage of the people I interact with just suddenly lost their job, people they know lost their job or had their hours cut back over the past two weeks. In the industries of auto loans, hospitality, and manufacturing.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Serpent on January 5th, 2018, 2:47 pm 

Some of those job losses are due to deregulation (which means employers can force the remaining staff to work longer hours and to take on private "contractors" - the same people, only without health insurance, rights, benefits or job security) and many more to automation. That trend isn't going to peak out any time soon. And the Trump administration will respond to it exactly as it does to climate change - deny, deride, then facilitate it.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby someguy1 on January 5th, 2018, 8:05 pm 

zetreque » January 5th, 2018, 12:11 pm wrote:I don't interact with too many people IRL so this could be an unscientific wrong observation but a high percentage of the people I interact with just suddenly lost their job, people they know lost their job or had their hours cut back over the past two weeks. In the industries of auto loans, hospitality, and manufacturing.

There are two economies. Main Street is getting hammered. Wall Street's kicking ass and taking names. It's the result of the massive money printing and low interest rates engineered by the Fed. It's a humongous scam and when it crashes, life on earth will never be the same. Until that day, it's party time. On Wall Street, anyway. Sears and Macy's closing hundreds of stores, Dow at 25k. It's a puzzler till you notice what the Fed's been doing.

Another factor is that it's not just the Fed. All the central banks are printing like crazy. I read that the Swiss national bank is directly buying US stocks. Now that's insane. They print money out of thin air and use the money to pump up US stocks. There's your Dow 25k explanation right there. The biggest Ponzi scheme in world history.
someguy1

Postby Braininvat on January 5th, 2018, 9:23 pm 

1929 redux.

And economists have been pointing this out.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on January 5th, 2018, 10:08 pm 

zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on January 5th, 2018, 10:12 pm 

zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on January 6th, 2018, 4:26 pm 

And yet another person in a totally different industry (construction) is jobless this weekend in my circle because they refused to work harder for less pay. This will have a ripple down effect as the employees under her leave because they were already on the verge of leaving for the same reasons. Unlike what I mentioned above however, this is joblessness due to it being better to be jobless and available than work for slave labor. Not being directly laid off.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby BadgerJelly on January 7th, 2018, 3:11 am 

I am curious to hear about what good people think Trump is doing? What are the reasonable things he's done; be it directly or indirectly.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby curiosity on January 7th, 2018, 5:25 am 

"The federal reserve must never be allowed to fall into private hands !"

"When America sneezes, the whole world catches a cold !"

Although I prefer the version which ends with...
"The rest of the world catches pneumonia !"

With the above thoughts in mind, even though I'm not a US citizen, I do have an interest in the health of the US economy

The possibility of the current situation occurring in the US was foreseen many years ago, by one of your former presidents, who said...
"The federal reserve must never be allowed to fall into private hands !"
("Excuse me for possibly paraphrasing, but the gist remains the same!") The wisdom in those words , is painfully evident in today's world.
curiosity

Postby Forest_Dump on January 7th, 2018, 11:32 am 

I am a Canadian whi has always been conscious of the dominance the US has had economically, diplomatically, etc. Thanks to Trump this has changed and has to change. While I think it needs to be a slow careful process, as long as Trump-style politics continues, Canada will ultimately benefit as US companies move to Canada in order to engage in freer trade in the world economy. Even if Trump is followed by the best president and houses possible, I think a level of blind trust in the US is broken now because there will always be the kniwledge that another lunatic, even worse than Trump, can always rise to power. Basically, the power and image of the White House to the outside world has been tremendously damaged by Trump.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on January 7th, 2018, 2:56 pm 

Remember what Denny Crane said about electing a very bad president in order to protect the salmon and prevent climate change: All the smart people will move to Canada and figure it out.
The down-side is: a really bad president will invade Canada.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby BadgerJelly on January 7th, 2018, 10:03 pm 

I was actually being serious. What good thins has he done?
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby someguy1 on January 7th, 2018, 11:23 pm 

BadgerJelly » January 7th, 2018, 8:03 pm wrote:I was actually being serious. What good thins has he done?

Trump singlehandedly wrecked the Republican party. Then he wrecked the Democratic party. Americans owe him a debt of gratitude. He saved us from the likes of Jeb!, Ted, Marco, and Hillary.
someguy1

Postby zetreque on January 7th, 2018, 11:25 pm 

someguy1 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:23 pm wrote:
BadgerJelly » January 7th, 2018, 8:03 pm wrote:I was actually being serious. What good thins has he done?

Trump singlehandedly wrecked the Republican party. Then he wrecked the Democratic party. Americans owe him a debt of gratitude. He saved us from the likes of Jeb!, Ted, Marco, and Hillary.

He saved nothing but showing stupidity. American's owe him a prison sentence.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby BadgerJelly on January 8th, 2018, 1:02 am 

Zet -

You cannot find a single good thing to say about him? Are you suggesting he only talks nonsense and that anyone who votes for him is an idiot?

If I were you I'd be deeply disturbed if this was the case because I wouldn't want to see myself as incapable of understanding the opposing views.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Forest_Dump on January 8th, 2018, 8:56 am 

I wouldn't say everything he says or does is nonsense. I can certainly understand the self-aggrandizement and massive tax cuts. For the type of person I long suspected he was, it makes a certain kind of sense and I can understand the appeal to the uneducated, bitter and hateful (can't really think of a more diplomatic way of putting it). There are many on the GOP side I very much disagree with but can see and even grudgingly respect. But I think the kind of appeal Trump has now wasn't something to be proud of in the early 20th century and definitely will seriously damage the US in the 21st century. The trajectory he is on does, IMHO, move him a lot closer to being like North Korea or at least seen that way. Very difficult to find much good there. But as an outsider I do get a good chuckle at him frequently.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on January 8th, 2018, 11:16 am 

someguy1 » January 7th, 2018, 8:23 pm wrote:

Jeb was uninspiring, but he at least knew what bipartisanship was. Remember bipartisanship? Ahhh, those were the days. Marco actually seemed to grasp the concept, too. And maybe Ron Paul. And Kasich. All of them look like Disraeli, when set beside Trump.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on January 12th, 2018, 12:52 pm 

More stupidity:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/11/opinion/domestic-violence-trump-poor.html

When Ohio and Michigan expanded their Medicaid programs to broaden coverage, residents who became eligible found it easier to look for work, according to studies by the Ohio Department of Medicaid and the University of Michigan. That’s because having Medicaid gave them access to primary care doctors and prescription medicine that helped them live normal lives and get jobs.

That’s how you help people in the real world. The Trump administration said Thursday that it would get poor people to work by letting state governments deny them Medicaid if they don’t have a job.

The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services argues that this draconian step will encourage more Medicaid beneficiaries to get a job and thus “promote better mental, physical and emotional health.” There’s no evidence that this is true, and the data from Michigan and Ohio shows that it contradicts the truth. There is good reason to worry that fewer people will have a job in states that adopt this cruel policy...
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on January 12th, 2018, 3:04 pm 

Here is something positive Trump did:
http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/09/asia/south-korea-north-korea-talks-moon-intl/index.html
Ahead of the talks, Trump took credit for creating the right conditions for dialog in a tweet: "Does anybody really believe that talks and dialogue would be going on between North and South Korea right now if I wasn't firm, strong and willing to commit our total "might" against the North. Fools, but talks are a good thing!"

Of course, it was an accident, but that's never stopped him taking credit. So was the closing of ranks against his environmental policy.
And maybe some other nations will come to the aid of Haiti, El Salvador, and Puerto Rico.

Seeing the good in Trump's "policies" is not a matter of different points of view. He has no policies. He has no qualifications. He has no frickin' clue what the job is supposed to entail or how it's supposed to be done. He never wanted the job in the first place. He just wanted to win and get even with his detractors.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby someguy1 on January 12th, 2018, 3:56 pm 

Serpent » January 12th, 2018, 1:04 pm wrote:He never wanted the job in the first place.

So the Russian collusion allegations are therefore nonsense. Yes?
someguy1

Postby Serpent on January 12th, 2018, 4:23 pm 

someguy1 » January 12th, 2018, 2:56 pm wrote:
Serpent » January 12th, 2018, 1:04 pm wrote:He never wanted the job in the first place.

So the Russian collusion allegations are therefore nonsense. Yes?

He wanted to win - that's not the same as doing the job.
Trump prides himself on making deals. He made a deal. Putin knew with whom he was dealing and has his own agenda.
Serpent
Resident Member

Previous

Return to News Discussion Forum