US Woman Receives $284 Billion Electricity Bill

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

US Woman Receives $284 Billion Electricity Bill

Postby toucana on December 27th, 2017, 5:09 am 

An electricity bill for more than $284bn (£212bn) left a woman in the US state of Pennsylvania stunned.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42489666

Mary Horomanski from Erie said the latest bill showed that she had to pay the entire amount by November 2018.

"My eyes just about popped out of my head," she told the Erie Times-News. "We had put up Christmas lights and I wondered if we had put them up wrong."

The electricity provider later said the actual amount was $284.46.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (7)

Re: US Woman Receives $284 Billion Electricity Bill

Postby toucana on December 27th, 2017, 6:20 am 

171226112510-erie-pennsylvania-snow-storm-1226-exlarge-169.jpg

The city of Erie in Pennsylvania has also been in the news this week after receiving a record breaking fall of snow.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/12/26/us/erie-pennsylvania-snow-storm/index.html

A record breaking 58.5 inches of snow fell in just two days across Monday and Tuesday, making a total of 62.9 inches since Sunday.

The huge snowfall total is a consequence of lake-effect snow, a weather phenomenon in which cold air combines with lake water to create narrow bands of powerful snow. The lake effect snow is expected to continue through Wednesday afternoon, the National Weather Service said.

The city of Erie declared a Snow Emergency on Tuesday, Erie Police said.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby Braininvat on December 27th, 2017, 10:44 am 

"We had put up Christmas lights and I wondered if we had put them up wrong."

Very funny quote.

Trying to decide which is more unpleasant, what they have - 63 inches of snow - or what we have here - minus 9 (F.) yesterday a.m. and minus 6 at the moment. I guess I prefer the minimal snow and intense cold, because the wind will shift and the cold snap will end, but several feet of snow takes a long time to go away and can make going anywhere impossible. So pretty, though.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby zetreque on December 27th, 2017, 1:12 pm 

Braininvat » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:44 am wrote: but several feet of snow takes a long time to go away and can make going anywhere impossible. So pretty, though.

Depends. Where I live snow can melt fast and easy at times. Once spring hits 20 feet of snow can melt in about 1-2 months. And when we have warm winters we could get a couple feet of snow around thanksgiving only to have it completely melted by Christmas and so forth. I prefer massive snowfall over cold temperatures because of the fun factor and beauty. Right after a huge snow storm you can go walking on a bright sunny day in the forest and listen watch the snow glisten and fall from the tree limbs. With cold temperatures you only need a couple inches of snow and it will stick around for weeks. During winter cold snaps I will air down my vehicle tires for a smoother ride around town since the plows don't even bother ruining their equipment or the roads by trying to scrape it up.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Watson on December 27th, 2017, 5:38 pm 

Braininvat » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:44 am wrote:
"We had put up Christmas lights and I wondered if we had put them up wrong."

Very funny quote.

Trying to decide which is more unpleasant, what they have - 63 inches of snow - or what we have here - minus 9 (F.) yesterday a.m. and minus 6 at the moment. I guess I prefer the minimal snow and intense cold, because the wind will shift and the cold snap will end, but several feet of snow takes a long time to go away and can make going anywhere impossible. So pretty, though.

I would take the warm blanket of snow any day. We have -26. I'd also take your F temps over ours as well.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby toucana on December 28th, 2017, 7:14 am 

Dec2017Freeze.jpg

These are in Celcius too, not Fahrenheit. I recall the scales cross over at -34 ?
(source Metrociel)
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby toucana on December 28th, 2017, 7:18 am 

toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby Dave_Oblad on December 31st, 2017, 4:51 pm 

Hi Biv and all,

Yesterday, I took my dog to the park for a walk.. in clear sky 80' weather.

DogWalk.jpg
Me trying to get my Dog to Walk in the Park..lol.

(Note: All those lumps in the water back there are ducks..)

Anyway, hope all had a great holiday and a Happy New Year..

Best wishes,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Braininvat on January 2nd, 2018, 10:51 am 

You are dead to me. JK

Seriously, I can only say enjoy your desert paradise...and just wait till it's summer, heh. Nice pic. The spouse doesn't ever want to do the snowbird thing, but I could definitely see spending a couple months down there.

Our electric bill is going to be huge next time, due to having to put a space heater in the crawl space under kitchen and utility room and running it most of the past week in order to have running water. As soon as it warms a little, I'm crawling under there and replacing the pipe insulation.... possible will install heat tape, too.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Return to News Discussion Forum