Canadian Zoo Moves Penguins Indoors

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Canadian Zoo Moves Penguins Indoors

Postby toucana on December 30th, 2017, 11:19 pm 

penguins.jpg

Temperatures have dropped so low in Canada that Calgary Zoo has had to move its penguins indoors.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/calgary-zoo-penguins-cold-weather-canada-a8135121.html

As an extreme-cold warning was in effect for the country – temperatures hit a frosty -25C late this week – zookeepers thought it safer to move the penguins to their indoor enclosure.

Larissa Mark, manager of communications at Calgary Zoo told Global News that: “On cold days like this, we have to make that choice for them because it is so cold, but on other days, we do give them the option of coming in and out as they please.”

Ms Mark explained that king penguins, like the ones at Calgary zoo, are not as accustomed to sub-zero temperatures as their cousins, the emperor penguins.

King penguins (Aptenodytes patagonicus) characterised by the bright orange spots on the sides of their heads and feathers at the nape of their necks, are generally found in sub-Antarctic regions in Chile and Argentina and temperate places like the Falklands, Macquarie and the Sandwich islands.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (7)

Re: Canadian Zoo Moves Penguins Indoors

Postby zetreque on December 31st, 2017, 12:10 pm 

I am currently a few hours away from Calgary right now. It's not all that bad. :)
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby zetreque on January 1st, 2018, 11:56 pm 

It got down to -17 at one point when driving. It must have been much colder than that during one of the hikes because my clothes and hair turned into brittle icicles.

Going into Canada was painless and easy but coming back to our own country into the USA they treated us like freaking criminals trying to come up with any excuse possible to bust us for something. Then after threatening us over fining us for any fruit we didn't declare that was illegal they left half of it in the box in the car while they confiscated the other half. Boarder patrol and security in the US is a freaking joke.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Serpent on January 2nd, 2018, 2:11 am 

Doesn't sound all that funny. I've seen a little bit of that in the distant past - they were giving all kinds of grief to two black girls going home to Detroit from spring break - and the girls giving it right back, to cheers from the cheap seats - and I hear it's gotten steadily worse. 1996, the last time I had any business in the US, seems a lifetime ago.

Meanwhile, Ontario is still pretty cold. Our water pipes in the greenhouse froze when we turned off the heat in there, trying to save on fuel in the dark months when we have no plants. The stove is eating wood like there's no February and March; a little worrisome how fast we're going through it. I put extra rugs and a tarp over the little house I built for the feral cats, boil a kettle three or four times a day to thaw their drinking water and put out warm soup along with the kibble. They seem all right, except nobody's seen Tiny, the sort-of-tame one, since just before the blizzards - four in a week and no promise of improvement before the weekend.

Happy new year... I hope.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on January 2nd, 2018, 10:39 am 

Similar here, lots of frozen pipes (fortunately, many of us in the Dakotas use PEX instead of metal), dead car batteries, and a houseguest who didn't get as many outings as we'd originally planned. It's ending here today, as temps swerve wildly up into 30's (F.) and after last week it will feel more like Celsius.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jan/01/record-breaking-big-freeze-grips-north-america

Happy new year to all.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby zetreque on January 2nd, 2018, 1:12 pm 

In addition to the tip of preparing yourself for an anal inspection getting into the USA even if you are the whitest most American looking person there is, don't fly Delta. Worst airline I have ever flown. Wouldn't be flying if I had a choice.

I enjoyed my trip to Canada. Had a minor mishap leaving something at a lookout point and having to go back around 3am to find it run over a few times in the road (but still ok). The full moon made that out to be a fun inconvenience and despite the cold temperatures it was a good time. It was even unexpectedly cold for the farmers up there we stayed with.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Serpent on January 2nd, 2018, 2:48 pm 

preparing yourself for an anal inspection

!W!T?F??? Like, the two-day regimen before a colonoscopy?
And they keep asking at the liquor store whether I have air miles!
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on January 2nd, 2018, 7:34 pm 

Serpent » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:48 am wrote:
preparing yourself for an anal inspection

!W!T?F??? Like, the two-day regimen before a colonoscopy?
And they keep asking at the liquor store whether I have air miles!

I was exaggerating but they were very thorough and with the way things were going I wouldn't have been surprised by the treatment we got. That last flight was even worse. The airline industry is awful and just getting worse!
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Forest_Dump on January 2nd, 2018, 9:02 pm 

I have only been south of the border twide since 9/11, and once within two weeks of it, and didn't enjoy either trip so have absolutely no plans of returning in the foreseeable future.

As to the weather, there has been a solide snow cover since about a week before Haloween when the ground froze, ending my digging season. The recent cold patch was pretty cold but it has been almost balmy the last couple of days. Above -20 C today although -30 again tonight. So I can sit out side to read a bit while having my smokes. However next week I will be up on the Hudson Bay coast and I know the wind will be pretty nasty. I am starting to look forward to the thaw in April/May already.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on January 2nd, 2018, 11:21 pm 

At least the days are getting longer. Not much sunnier, though, so we still need to be careful about things like laundry and toast. It's just as well we're not working over the holidays; the others are at home... in town, the lucky beggars!
We have absolutely got to get out tomorrow for post office, beer, banking and sanity.
Serpent
Resident Member

Return to News Discussion Forum