Trump Restates His Immigration policy

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Trump Restates His Immigration policy

Postby toucana on January 11th, 2018, 6:47 pm 

President Trump redefined his attitude towards immigration earlier today during an Oval office meeting with the leaders of a bi-partisan 'gang of six' senators who had just spent four months working out a set of compromise proposals to take to the floor of the senate.

http://edition.cnn.com/2018/01/11/politics/daca-deal-obstacles-flake-white-house/index.html

Sen. D. Durbin (Dem) and Sen. Lindsey Graham (Rep) were explaining their DACA and border security proposals. Senate Minority Whip D. Durbin was explaining ending the visa lottery in exchange for Temporary Protected Status (TPS) protections. As Durbin was going through a list of TPS countries that would be covered and got to Haiti, Trump asked
"Why do we want all these people from sh*thole countries coming here? .... we should get more people from Norway."

Blonde blue-eyed Aryans IOW
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (7)

Re: Trump Restates His Immigration policy

Postby Braininvat on January 11th, 2018, 11:04 pm 

Stop micromanaging Trump you guys! Isn't he king or something? He rules, we bow and scrape, that's how it works. If he asks for Norwegians (18-28 year old female Norwegians would be good), you bring him Norwegians. What good is having all these nukes, if we can't get quality immigrants when we ask for them. Michelle Williams is Norwegian-American...need I say more? Amundsen, Heyerdahl, Ibsen, Nesbo: wonderful people! Making rafts you can cross the Pacific on, that's what this nation needs! Now more than ever!
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby zetreque on January 11th, 2018, 11:25 pm 

PS: It's all Hillary's fault... And Obama, and anyone who has ever disagreed with the moment to moment unfiltered thought stream.

Shithole is far less offensive than deplorable. Websites even filter out part of the word so you don't even have to read it when they don't filter out deplorable.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby zetreque on January 11th, 2018, 11:32 pm 

Oh and can't run our country properly without your morning cartoon show.

Trump’s ‘ping-pong’ on surveillance law sets off a 101-minute scramble
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... c6a5688e6d
At 6:46 Thursday morning, Andrew Napolitano — a Fox News Channel personality and supporter of President Trump — opined about a critical government surveillance program on “Fox & Friends,” the show that is part alarm clock, part unofficial briefing for the commander in chief...

And then, just 47 minutes later, Trump was no longer in favor of the bill that his own White House had been championing.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on January 11th, 2018, 11:45 pm 

I think we can update terminology going forward.

Instead of The North vs The South.
It shall be
Shitholes vs Deplorables.

Quick, choose a side before all the spots are taken.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on January 12th, 2018, 12:05 am 

toucana » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:47 pm wrote: the leaders of a bi-partisan 'gang of six' senators who had just spent four months working out a set of compromise proposals to take to the floor of the senate.

AKA 6 white guys.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby toucana on January 12th, 2018, 3:58 am 

Rather amusingly, the decency filters on this website took exception to the forename of Sen. D**k Durbin and turned him into **** , which was why it had to be abbreviated to an initial letter D.

'Shithole' is less offensive than 'D**k' in the general scheme of the universe it seems.

Perhaps posterity will remember #45 as 'Shithole Trump' rather than D****d Trump.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby BadgerJelly on January 12th, 2018, 4:34 am 

Do none of you see irony in your own comments?

Comments like "Aryans" and "AKA 6 white guys", followed by simple name calling. What is the purpose here?

If you were posting this article to have a go at the President not understanding why they would want immigrants from a deeply troubled country then ... so what? Isn't that basic common sense? Are you suggesting that countries should have imposed numbers for each demographic of the planet regardless of ability?

I don't understand the rhetoric anymore. It's been around a year since he got into office and still there is an aim to label him as either an idiot, racist and sexist person.

NEWS FLASH! HE IS NOT HITLER.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on January 12th, 2018, 4:38 am 

BadgerJelly » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:34 am wrote:Do none of you see irony in your own comments?

Comments like "Aryans" and "AKA 6 white guys", followed by simple name calling. What is the purpose here?

If you were posting this article to have a go at the President not understanding why they would want immigrants from a deeply troubled country then ... so what? Isn't that basic common sense? Are you suggesting that countries should have imposed numbers for each demographic of the planet regardless of ability?

I don't understand the rhetoric anymore. It's been around a year since he got into office and still there is an aim to label him as either an idiot, racist and sexist person.

NEWS FLASH! HE IS NOT HITLER.

Maybe things have just gotten so bad or predictable that there is no point to any comments anymore. Maybe it's all just a joke. None of it makes any sense and there is not point to any of it really. There is such a clear lack of intelligence out there when it comes to what's going on, what's the point in taking any of it serious at all anymore? Nonsense breeds nonsense. Just look at the comments on twitter by his supporters. It's just clear lack of education. Sure the supporters have their reasons which make sense but it's sad that they don't see the backward, nonsensical, and hypocritical nature of it all let alone the larger issues.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby BadgerJelly on January 12th, 2018, 5:03 am 

Twitter? Oh, yeah! That highly intellectual space for sharing and discussing complex political ideas in a clam and measured manner.

Maybe it is just me, but I don't find it fitting to post a News Headlines with a comment attached saying "Aryans." We all know the insinuations being made and I don't find it helpful toward creating civil discourse if you reduce your position to the reductio ad Hitlerium, whilst coming against a position that looks equally as disgusting, that being reduction ad Stalinium.

If you keep it up then we'll likely be experiencing both for real in due course. Or you can stand up straight, refuse to kowtow to the anger you feel, and simply talk.

Of course there is the paradox of intolerance to discuss too. How do we draw the line and where should we draw the line? Is hate speech a "violent act"? This is essentially the underlying argument and the reason for the current political atmosphere I feel.

People are slaking on sensationalism and it is interesting to see where this will all lead.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby toucana on January 12th, 2018, 5:15 am 

F-52.png

Speaking of Norway..

President Trump had a formal meeting and delivered a joint press conference with the Norwegian Prime Minister Erna Solberg on Wednesday

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-us-norway-f52-aircraft-sold-deal-not-exist-defence-erna-solberg-a8153126.html

In what should have been a straightforward affair, announcing new military and trade collaboration between their two nations, Trump managed to announce that
​“In November, we started delivering the first F-52s and F-35 fighter jets,”

Problem - The F-52 does not exist. It's an entirely imaginary warplane found only within a computer video shooter game 'Call Of Duty'. Undaunted President Trump continued:
We have a total of 52 and they’ve delivered a number of them already, a little ahead of schedule ... it’s a $10 billion order.”

Norway received the first three F-35 fighter jets in November as part of efforts to increase the strength of its air force. “These warplanes will improve the entire Norwegian defence,” General Major Tonje Skinnarland, head of the Norwegian air force, told broadcaster TV2 at the time.

p.s. - You seriously wonder why people regard him as an idiot, as well as a racist ?
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby zetreque on January 12th, 2018, 5:23 am 

BadgerJelly » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:03 am wrote:Twitter? Oh, yeah! That highly intellectual space for sharing and discussing complex political ideas in a clam and measured manner.

Maybe it is just me, but I don't find it fitting to post a News Headlines with a comment attached saying "Aryans." We all know the insinuations being made and I don't find it helpful toward creating civil discourse if you reduce your position to the reductio ad Hitlerium, whilst coming against a position that looks equally as disgusting, that being reduction ad Stalinium.

If you keep it up then we'll likely be experiencing both for real in due course. Or you can stand up straight, refuse to kowtow to the anger you feel, and simply talk.

Of course there is the paradox of intolerance to discuss too. How do we draw the line and where should we draw the line? Is hate speech a "violent act"? This is essentially the underlying argument and the reason for the current political atmosphere I feel.

People are slaking on sensationalism and it is interesting to see where this will all lead.

IMO there isn't anything more intelligent to discuss on the matter when it all stems from someone using the twitter platform that you just dissed as a formal platform to announcing issues of national security and issues that affect the lives of everyone in the country and repercussions to the world without much care for and in fact to create more division in the country. It's become old news. It's the same debate over and over. Eventually someone calls out Hillary, then it just goes back and forth divisive nonsense. May as well just resort to what comedians do. Make fun of it rather than be depressed about it. It really is getting old.

PS: 6 white guys was an observation that they are the ones making immigration policy that is an issue of diversity and ironically they are the ones that are clueless to the fact that the country is supposedly about anyone from any background having an equal chance if they work hard enough to make something of themselves. and so forth and so forth. Which of course we know is a lie in the pyramid scheme of capitalism where there is unequal chance or opportunity.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby jocular on January 12th, 2018, 9:49 am 

What are the chances of Trump simply acknowledging what he said without trying to spin it?

ie "yes those are shithole countries and we don't want them here (deal with it.We won didn't we?")

Deflect to Hillary ("she called real Americans deplorable ")

EDIT:so he has tweeted "He wrote that the language he used was "tough, but this was not the language used"."

Is it "he said,....he said...."?

Wonder who were the witnesses...
jocular

Postby BadgerJelly on January 12th, 2018, 11:11 am 

So what is your opinion on immigration then?
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby toucana on January 12th, 2018, 11:24 am 

Who else was in the room ? Only an entire delegation from a bi-partisan senate working group, including two senior senators, their aides, counsel, and a WH stenographer.

Sen. D. Durbin the minority whip has fired back at Trump’s denials and insisted that the press reports are entirely accurate and that he did explicitly use the exact words quoted

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/368686-durbin-fires-back-at-trump-denial-he-said-those-hateful-things-and-he-said

“In the course of his comments, [Trump] said things that were hate-filled, vile and racist,” Durbin told reporters on Friday. “I cannot believe in this history of the White House, in that Oval Office, any president has ever spoken the words that I personally heard our president speak yesterday.”

“You’ve seen the comments in the press,” Durbin said. “I’ve not seen one of them that’s inaccurate. To no surprise, the president started tweeting this morning, denying that he used those words. It is not true. He said these hate-filled things, and he said them repeatedly.”

According to a recent CNN poll Trump has uttered at least 2000 palpably false or untrue statements during his first year in office. This means he is maintaining a comfortable average of 2000/365 = 5.479 flagrant lies a day.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/11/14/politics/trump-fact-checker-1628/index.html

The Daily Beast has pointed out that as CIC of the United States military forces, Trump is subject to Article 133 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, and should now be sanctioned for conduct unbecoming to an officer.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-epitomizes-conduct-unbecoming-a-presidentwill-congress-step-up-and-say-so?ref=home

Meanwhile on Twitter, Norwegian users have been asking why anyone would want to leave Norway and come to a shithole country like USA when Norway already has healthcare for all, family leave, free education and real gun control.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/trump-shithole-countries-norway_us_5a58199ce4b0720dc4c5b6dc

They also have an intelligent female prime minister.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby Braininvat on January 12th, 2018, 11:30 am 

[So what is your opinion on immigration then?

Only allow people who can build Kon-Tiki.

Yes, that was a joke. Trump is a joke. An ignorant senile narcissist racist with the moral character of a porcupine, who is bringing shame and contempt on America. A man of such profound stupidity and mendacity that I sometimes wonder if I really AM a brain in a vat, part of some nightmarish experiment.

On immigration: America is an immigrant nation, composed largely of people who came from someplace that was, at that time, a shithole. Kind of the point. Look up the poem that's inscribed on our Statue of Liberty, "The New Collosus" by Emma Lazarus. America is, more than any other nation, an IDEA. One that must require constant maintenance and dedication to its originating philosophy. Trump is a white nationalist who would degrade and ruin it.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby jocular on January 12th, 2018, 11:51 am 

BadgerJelly » January 12th, 2018, 11:11 am wrote:So what is your opinion on immigration then?

It is a matter for those who make up society . Few people are advocating open immigration.

When such quotes as these (not the first ,obviously) slither their slimy way into the open they are very revealing and unpleasant. We know there are always the odd rotten apples in the barrel but it is alarming and nauseous to find this rotten apple sitting atop the **** heap.
jocular

Postby BadgerJelly on January 13th, 2018, 12:45 am 

What is really bothering me here is that he apparently said some countries were "shitholes." Is that all he said? If not what else did he say. If Durbin wants to be more specific then I really wish he would be.

If I say Syria is a shithole is that racist? If I said Saudi Arabia is a shithole, is that racist?

I have been open here in the past about my biased view of the US, but there is a difference between criticizing a countries political stance and calling them subhuman.

I have seen references of "AIDS" and "huts," but neither of these have been confirmed as far as I can tell? People in Nigeria living in huts ... yes, that is probably close enough to the truth. I lived in a house share briefly with someone from Nigeria. He was so happy to have running water and 24/7 electrical power.

IF all he said was these countries are shitholes I don't really understand the fuss. It is precisely the kind of thing I'd expect anyone to say, and Trump likes to present himself as "anyone."
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby toucana on January 13th, 2018, 6:28 am 

The task of construing what Trump meant by his remarks has turned out to be almost trivial compared to that of translating them into other languages, especially asian ones. Here are some of the offerings:

• Haiwainet, a news portal of China’s state newspaper People’s Daily, used lan guo, or 烂国, which means “countries that suck.”

• Taiwan’s Central News Agency tried niao bu sheng dan de guo jia, or 鳥不生蛋的國家, meaning “countries where birds don’t lay eggs.”

• South Korean news portal joins.com went with 거지소굴, pronounced “go-ji-so-gul,” meaning “beggars’ haunts.”

• The Japanese daily Sankei opted for 便所のように汚い国, or “Benjo no yō ni kitanai kuni,” meaning “countries that are dirty like toilets.”

https://qz.com/1178232/where-birds-dont-lay-eggs-how-media-in-asia-translated-shithole-countries/

A Croatian newspaper used “Vukojebina,” meaning - “the place wolves like to f*ck.”

Cesso di paesi - Italy

Agujeros de mierda - El Salvador

Paises de Mierda - Mexico

Pays de merde - France

Trous-a-rats - Canada

Trou a merde - Haiti

Persläpimaat - Finland - ‘a******e countries’

Drecksloch - Germany - ’sinkhole countries’

מחורבן - Israel - “M’churban” - ‘lousy rotten trashy’

Achterkijke landen - Netherlands - ‘backward countries’

chaah-e-mostrah - Iran - ‘countries that have wells/sinkholes’

imigrantach z zadupia - Poland

Other publications, like the Vatican newspaper, L‘Osservatore Romano, just avoided the curse word altogether — no translation needed.

http://mashable.com/2018/01/12/trump-shithole-translations-international/#hK036Rxs5sqg
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby BadgerJelly on January 13th, 2018, 6:37 am 

I like the Croatian one the most! Gonna have remember that one :)
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby SciameriKen on January 13th, 2018, 11:36 am 

BadgerJelly » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:45 am wrote:What is really bothering me here is that he apparently said some countries were "shitholes." Is that all he said? If not what else did he say. If Durbin wants to be more specific then I really wish he would be.

If I say Syria is a shithole is that racist? If I said Saudi Arabia is a shithole, is that racist?

I have been open here in the past about my biased view of the US, but there is a difference between criticizing a countries political stance and calling them subhuman.

I have seen references of "AIDS" and "huts," but neither of these have been confirmed as far as I can tell? People in Nigeria living in huts ... yes, that is probably close enough to the truth. I lived in a house share briefly with someone from Nigeria. He was so happy to have running water and 24/7 electrical power.

IF all he said was these countries are shitholes I don't really understand the fuss. It is precisely the kind of thing I'd expect anyone to say, and Trump likes to present himself as "anyone."

The man isn't just anyone - he is the president of the United States!!
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on January 13th, 2018, 12:47 pm 

Presidents are supposed to uplift their citizens and be diplomatic to protect them not put down their own citizens verbally or endanger them with words to other countries.

Then you have the whole understanding about our country and things like what are written on the statue of liberty and what the country was founded on. Should we change the wording on the statue of liberty to include the word shithole?
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby BadgerJelly on January 13th, 2018, 12:52 pm 

Is it racist? No.

The main theme spread across the media is "racism." Doesn't that worry anyone?
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on January 13th, 2018, 12:54 pm 

BadgerJelly » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:52 am wrote:Is it racist? No.

It's as if you have not been following the story from the beginning and cannot see the whole picture.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby BadgerJelly on January 13th, 2018, 1:03 pm 

It is as if you're avoiding answering my question.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on January 13th, 2018, 1:11 pm 

BadgerJelly » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:03 am wrote:It is as if you're avoiding answering my question.

You can't have any intelligence about or make sense of a pile of slop and that's what president shithole is across the board when you step back and look at him. If you want to try to but it's a waste of time anymore discussing one issue without all the others, good luck.

Repeat, reset, pick a side before all seats are taken.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby BadgerJelly on January 13th, 2018, 1:27 pm 

I take that as a no then. I guess you prefer to sling shit rather than answer my question.

To repeat ... are you not worried about people being called "racist" for comments that are not actually "racist"? I am guessing not by your tone.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on January 13th, 2018, 1:27 pm 

BadgerJelly » January 13th, 2018, 9:52 am wrote:Is it racist? No.

You are aware of these matters of public record, right?

1. Trump refuses to condemn white supremacists. On multiple occasions, when it would be expected of a leader of a civilized nation.

2. Trump refers to neoNazi marchers in VA as including some "good people."

3. Trump refers to Mexicans as thugs and rapists.

4. Trump excludes blacks from a real estate development in the 70s.

5. Trump presumes a black reporter, at a press conference, is a representative of all black America, and will have a caucus with them.

6. Trump says people from Haiti (our neighbors and allies going back to 1779, when Haitians fought with us in the RW) are undesirable and live in a shithole, while Norwegians are wonderful and we need more of them. Hmm.

7. Trump specifically courts the white working class while ignoring blacks and other people of color, or singling out dominantly black neighborhoods (as he did in part of Atlanta) as horrible places unfit for habitation.

8. Shows friendliness to virulent racist White Separatist Richard Spencer. Ditto David Duke.

9. In a meeting last month, trump says Haitians all have AIDS and Nigerians "would never go back to their huts" if allowed into the US.

This is a VERY short, top of my head, list. Crikey, can not Brits who follow our news discern this pattern? What would it take for you to see who Trump is?

I'm sure other Yank posters can add to my short list.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Braininvat on January 13th, 2018, 1:41 pm 

Here are some more, from a list compiled by Vox, that goes to 2011.

1973: The US Department of Justice — under the Nixon administration, out of all administrations — sued the Trump Management Corporation for violating the Fair Housing Act. Federal officials found evidence that Trump had refused to rent to black tenants and lied to black applicants about whether apartments were available, among other accusations. Trump said the federal government was trying to get him to rent to welfare recipients. In the aftermath, he signed an agreement in 1975 agreeing not to discriminate to renters of color without admitting to discriminating before.
1980s: Kip Brown, a former employee at Trump's Castle, accused another one of Trump's businesses of discrimination. "When Donald and Ivana came to the casino, the bosses would order all the black people off the floor," Brown said. "It was the eighties, I was a teenager, but I remember it: They put us all in the back."
1988: In a commencement speech at Lehigh University, Trump spent much of his speech accusing countries like Japan of "stripping the United States of economic dignity." This matches much of his current rhetoric on China.
1989: In a controversial case that’s been characterized as a modern-day lynching, four black teenagers and one Latino teenager — the "Central Park Five" — were accused of attacking and raping a jogger in New York City. Trump immediately took charge in the case, running an ad in local papers demanding, "BRING BACK THE DEATH PENALTY. BRING BACK OUR POLICE!" The teens’ convictions were later vacated after they spent seven to 13 years in prison, and the city paid $41 million in a settlement to the teens. But Trump in October 2016 said he still believes they’re guilty, despite the DNA evidence to the contrary.
1991: A book by John O’Donnell, former president of Trump Plaza Hotel and Casino in Atlantic City, quoted Trump’s criticism of a black accountant: "Black guys counting my money! I hate it. The only kind of people I want counting my money are short guys that wear yarmulkes every day. … I think that the guy is lazy. And it’s probably not his fault, because laziness is a trait in blacks. It really is, I believe that. It’s not anything they can control." Trump at first denied the remarks, but later said in a 1997 Playboy interview that "the stuff O’Donnell wrote about me is probably true."
1992: The Trump Plaza Hotel and Casino had to pay a $200,000 fine because it transferred black and women dealers off tables to accommodate a big-time gambler’s prejudices.
2000: In opposition to a casino proposed by the St. Regis Mohawk tribe, which he saw as a financial threat to his casinos in Atlantic City, Trump secretly ran a series of ads suggesting the tribe had a "record of criminal activity [that] is well documented."
2004: In season two of The Apprentice, Trump fired Kevin Allen, a black contestant, for being overeducated. "You're an unbelievably talented guy in terms of education, and you haven’t done anything," Trump said on the show. "At some point you have to say, ‘That’s enough.’"
2005: Trump publicly pitched what was essentially The Apprentice: White People vs. Black People. He said he "wasn't particularly happy" with the most recent season of his show, so he was considering "an idea that is fairly controversial — creating a team of successful African Americans versus a team of successful whites. Whether people like that idea or not, it is somewhat reflective of our very vicious world."
2010: In 2010, there was a huge national controversy over the "Ground Zero Mosque" — a proposal to build a Muslim community center in Lower Manhattan, near the site of the 9/11 attacks. Trump opposed the project, calling it "insensitive," and offered to buy out one of the investors in the project. On The Late Show With David Letterman, Trump argued, referring to Muslims, "Well, somebody’s blowing us up. Somebody’s blowing up buildings, and somebody’s doing lots of bad stuff."
2011: Trump played a big role in pushing false rumors that Obama — the country’s first black president — was not born in the US. He even sent investigators to Hawaii to look into Obama's birth certificate. Obama later released his birth certificate, calling Trump a "carnival barker." (The research has found a strong correlation between "birtherism," as this conspiracy theory is called, and racism.) Trump has reportedly continued pushing this conspiracy theory in private.
2011: While Trump suggested that Obama wasn’t born in the US, he also argued that maybe Obama wasn’t a good enough student to have gotten into Columbia or Harvard Law School, and demanded Obama release his university transcripts. Trump claimed, "I heard he was a terrible student. Terrible. How does a bad student go to Columbia and then to Harvard?"

Some of these comments make clear (like the one about black accountants) that this is who Trump is. He is deeply racist and an all around bigot (Mexicans are not a race).
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby BadgerJelly on January 13th, 2018, 1:50 pm 

I am starting to think you are completely blinded by hatred here.

I was asking VERY clearly, if it was "racist" to call a country a "shithole" and whether it bother you that almost anything he says is portrayed as "racist"? For example, say you go on holiday to India and return to call the place a "shithole" ... does that make you a racist too?

Saying things like "Last year he said Kill all the Jews." and then referring to comments about the state of a country as being equally racist is disingenuous. I thought you'd be smart enough to see this. I guess not. What happens when you criticize a country or comment on its state of poverty, will you be called racist too?
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Next

Return to News Discussion Forum