Earth BioGenome Project to Sequence All Life

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Earth BioGenome Project to Sequence All Life

Postby zetreque on January 26th, 2018, 12:06 am 

https://www.ucdavis.edu/news/earth-biog ... -all-life/

In an effort to protect and preserve the Earth’s biodiversity and kick-start an inclusive bio-economy, the World Economic Forum today announced a landmark partnership between the Earth BioGenome Project, chaired by Harris Lewin, distinguished professor at the University of California, Davis, and the Earth Bank of Codes to map the DNA of all life on Earth. The announcement was made at the 48th World Economic Forum Annual Meeting in Davos-Klosters, Switzerland.

This has great potential for both bad and good. I generally think it could help put economic value on preserving species in a positive way. I think it could also be generally good for coming up with more biodegradable and bio-mimicry material designs, however I think people with the intention of finding miracle drugs to diseases is going in the wrong direction as well as all the other non-environmentally friendly chemicals that could come out of the research.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to News Discussion Forum