Neanderthal "art" confirmed

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Neanderthal "art" confirmed

Postby BadgerJelly on February 23rd, 2018, 3:32 am 

Case closed: Oldest known cave art proves Neanderthals were just as sophisticated as humans

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/case-closed-oldest-known-cave-art-proves-neanderthals-were-just-as-sophisticated-as-humans/ar-BBJtIsn?li=AAmiR2Z&ocid=spartandhp

In a paper published Thursday in Science, an international team of archaeologists shows that each of the three paintings was executed at least 64,000 years ago - more than 20,000 years before the first modern humans arrived in Europe.

"This work confirms that Neanderthals were indeed using cave walls for depicting drawings that had meaning for them," said Marie Soressi, an archaeologist at Leiden University in the Netherlands who was not involved in the study. "It also means that our own group, the one we call anatomically modern humans, is maybe not so special."
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Re: Neanderthal "art" confirmed

Postby wolfhnd on February 23rd, 2018, 4:42 pm 

Pretty important if it is true. Anthropocentrism has always been of concern to me.
wolfhnd
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: Neanderthal "art" confirmed

Postby Watson on February 23rd, 2018, 8:53 pm 

I've always felt there was something primal about artist expression, from an urge to doodle or more elaborate doodle drawings. I think it would have been more of a neanderthal metal urge than a deliberate expression of a messages. Cave doodles.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Return to News Discussion Forum