Storm Emma Dumps Code Red Snow Falls On UK

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Storm Emma Dumps Code Red Snow Falls On UK

Postby toucana on March 1st, 2018, 5:40 pm 

Emma.png
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2018-03-01

Large parts of UK are experiecing severe blizzards, with warnings of 50cm snow-falls likely, and wind-chill temperatures of around -15C.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43236763

Scotland and the east coast were hit two days ago by the polar vortex disturbance dubbed ‘The Beast From The East’ which is funneling cold air direct from Siberia. The cold air is now colliding with a deep Atlantic depression named Emma that is approaching from the Azores and is expected to bring low pressure of around 975mb to sea area Plymouth by midday tomorrow.

The result is what meterologists are calling a ’perfect storm’ with heavy snowfall and overnight freezing rain. The Met Office have issued an almost unprecedented Red Warning for Southwest UK (where I live), meaning ‘imminent danger to life’ and are warning all drivers to stay home and avoid driving on the main roads after 8pm.

There are also warnings of possible electrical power cuts, and a critical shortage of natural gas for domestic and industrial heating because of abnormal demand during the adverse weather.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (7)

Re: Storm Emma Dumps Code Red Snow Falls On UK

Postby Watson on March 1st, 2018, 7:23 pm 

Where I am, we a used to the occasional heavy snow, so 20 inches is not a big deal. But any areas not used to that much snow, it will cause a lot of problems. I hope you, sponge and I think lomax don't run into difficulty. My best advice, from experience, is to get several cases of beer, a few friends and plan to hibernate. At 20 inches, I'd plan on 4 days. Good Luck all.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby toucana on March 2nd, 2018, 1:04 am 

Unfortunately UK is not really set up to deal with the types of winter weather that many Canadians and quite a few US citizens would regard as mundane or even trivial.

The UK transport infrastructure system has a tendency to begin locking up when as little as 2cm (never mind 50cm) of snow falls within a 48 hour period.

Right now there is some confusion on social media as to whether the Red Alert weather warning means that car drivers insurance will be invalidated if they ignore the warnings and try to drive their vehicles.

In general, weather warnings do not affect motor insurance cover, at least not unless contributory negligence by a driver is alleged - e.g. wilfully driving down a road that the police have already signposted as 'closed' because of dangerous driving conditions.

But given that Highways England, the government agency responsible for running the national motorways and A class road systems effectively warned all drivers to stay off the roads in Southwest Areas 1 & 2 during the Red Alert last night from 8pm onwards, it's a moot point as to whether drivers who ignored the warnings would have their insurance cover invalidated and claims refused if they got wrecked or stranded
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby zetreque on March 2nd, 2018, 4:30 am 

I drove home tonight in a blizzard and the wind is raging outside right now. We will probably have 3 feet of snow tonight. I kept thinking about the olden days when snow plow technology was significantly less and people actually used car chains.

The map in the original post is a bit confusing since I have not seen that type of categorization. When I glanced at it this morning I was thinking in terms of being literal. I imagined an industrial toxin causing the color of snow to fall as red. Yellow snow... Did the sanitation network break down? Don't eat the yellow snow.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Lomax on March 2nd, 2018, 5:40 am 

Watson » March 2nd, 2018, 12:23 am wrote:Where I am, we a used to the occasional heavy snow, so 20 inches is not a big deal. But any areas not used to that much snow, it will cause a lot of problems. I hope you, sponge and I think lomax don't run into difficulty. My best advice, from experience, is to get several cases of beer, a few friends and plan to hibernate. At 20 inches, I'd plan on 4 days. Good Luck all.

Thanks, Watson. I've had no gas supply since June so I've developed some Canadian-style survival skills. From the map above, it also looks like Nuneaton is avoiding the worst of it. Hopefully things will be okay for Toucana, Sponge, BadgerJelly (if he's back) et al.
Lomax
Forum Administrator

Postby toucana on March 2nd, 2018, 9:03 am 

Bus_skid.png
Lothian Bus In Near Miss

A dashboard camera captured an impressive piece of power-slalom driving by a lady bus-driver in Edinburgh who had to fishtail a double-decker bus around a car that had skidded onto the wrong side of the road in heavy snow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-43255368

Bus driver Charmaine Laurie said her training kicked in, but said she had very little time to react to the incident which happened in very poor visibility.

Footage of the near-miss was captured on the dashcam of van driver Gareth Smith in the Fairmilehead area of the city on Wednesday. It went viral after he posted it on Facebook yesterday.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby Braininvat on March 2nd, 2018, 10:23 am 

Like Watson, I live where this is not unusual weather. His coping tactics are good ones. After a few blizzards here, you learn the value of keeping extra food on hand. Also cold weather gear like thermal underlayers, heavy wool socks, lined boots, down parka, etc. in case you do need to venture out. If it's below minus 15 C. you should also consider mittens rather than gloves. Finally, if power goes out and you don't have heat, a campstove or kerosene heater is handy - and remember to leave your faucet dripping so the pipes don't freeze overnight.

In the country, there is also the practice of having a rope that goes from your house to whatever outbuilding you need to get to. In whiteout conditions, this can be really handy. Before indoor plumbing, it was essential. :-)
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Lomax on March 3rd, 2018, 7:19 am 

Braininvat » March 2nd, 2018, 3:23 pm wrote:Finally, if power goes out and you don't have heat, a campstove or kerosene heater is handy - and remember to leave your faucet dripping so the pipes don't freeze overnight.

I've been quite impressed with the plumbing of my house, given that it's an old one and I rent. We had a -11 degree night in December. There's been no hot water in my pipes for nine months. Yet everything's working fine.

It's my friends that are depressing me. They won't get on with their lives. I'm talking mainly about 25-35-year-olds. If I were Putin I would take this moment to invade.
Lomax
Forum Administrator

Postby Braininvat on March 3rd, 2018, 8:52 pm 

There's been no hot water in my pipes for nine months.

So many double entendres, so little time.

Seriously, I knew you Limeys had many quaint Old World ways, but is the cold water flat (if I have my nomenclature right) still to be found in darkest Albion?

Surely Putin will find no purchase on your chalky cliffs until you've all been softened by hot baths.

Edit: I see now you have had no gas since June; sorry I missed that post.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Return to News Discussion Forum