The Ozone Layer

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

The Ozone Layer

Postby BadgerJelly on March 5th, 2018, 10:40 pm 

The ozone hole over the Antarctic is beginning to fill up. Here's the bad news.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/the-ozone-hole-over-the-antarctic-is-beginning-to-fill-up-heres-the-bad-news/ar-BBJTa7r?li=AAmiR2Z&ocid=spartanntp

“The ozone hole over the Antarctic is gradually filling up,” Haigh says. “So, it is getting a little bit less severe. So, that's the good news and the atmosphere responded as we expected when the chlorofluorocarbons were banned.”

Ready for the bad news?

The future isn't so bright for the ozone near the equator and in the middle latitudes, where the layer is continuing to decline — while leaving researchers like Haigh to scratch their heads over the situation.

“We've got to think about why it's going away and if we can stop doing whatever we're doing to make it go away — and we don't really understand what that is,” she says.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Re: The Ozone Layer

Postby Watson on March 5th, 2018, 10:55 pm 

So much for the warm winter vacation I was planning on, some day? Ah...Churchill...toque, goggles and a parka, with a mai tai around the campfire.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby zetreque on March 5th, 2018, 11:40 pm 

I almost posted some similar news a week or two ago. If anyone wants to know more, look up the altitude which it is not recovering too. Apparently the Ozone layer at lower altitudes is not recovering that well either. With so many untested toxins being approved for creation and sale in the US, the Ozone is just one devastating problem we have to deal with going forward. The EPA and our governmental system is breaking down right now when it comes to the function of protecting its citizens. Watch for increasing lawsuits going forward (A vital part of our system). Meanwhile Pruitt is trying to change the law around how the EPA is sued. Even after consulting someone that understands this kind of stuff, it's still confusing what it means going forward.

Citations:
Environmental Law by Nancy K. Kubasek, Gary S. Silverman
The Environmental Case by Layzer, Judith A.
https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/admini ... sue-settle

I must point out that they make it sound like a really good thing. Who doesn't want transparency right? Let me remind you of so many other bills introduced to congress such as one recently called the Hearing Protection Act which has nothing more to do than approving the sale of gun silencers. Always read the fine print.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby zetreque on March 5th, 2018, 11:50 pm 

Ozone Layer May Be Thinning Over Earth’s Heavily Populated Areas
In new analysis, scientists detect shrinking of the planet’s protective shield at lower levels of the stratosphere
https://www.wsj.com/articles/ozone-layer-may-be-thinning-over-earths-heavily-populated-areas-1517896800
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Watson on March 5th, 2018, 11:54 pm 

I jest, only because it is such a serious situation, and num-nuts is undoing whatever he can in favor of more $$, which is kind of the general problem. The $$ first and anything else is a far second. It was one thing to say, this is the problem. It is another thing, to say there is a problem? Don't know what it is, so don't know how to fix it.
Ya, so....oh, well.....
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby BadgerJelly on March 6th, 2018, 1:45 am 

My first, and very ignorant thought, was that of basic everyday observation. If you fart in a room it dissipates. Could it simply be that the ozone has been (slowly) dissipating to "plug the hole" created over southern pole?

I imagine there are a number of theories flying around and if it's unclear it is likely a combination of things which makes the problem a very serious one when it comes to convincing people to take precautionary action.

We can at least remain optimistic with previous measures introduced to "ban" CFCs. I remember back in the day people were suggesting it would take decades, or even centuries, for the ozone to recover.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on March 6th, 2018, 2:13 am 

The Ozone CFC story is a landmark case study so I hope that people see this as an opportunity to still continue in a positive direction with that.

I'm not quite sure I am following your theory. I'm thinking it seems more likely that the type of free radical chemicals that were destroying ozone in the antarctic are not in as much use anymore and a different type of free radical chemical with a different kind of density is floating at a lower level in the atmosphere and/or doesn't maintain structure long enough to reach all the way to the antarctic.

You have different wind currents at different altitudes in the atmosphere. You have free radicals with different half-lifes due to interacting with other molecules in the atmosphere. Some of these chemical reactions can be complicated.

Without researching and relearning this topic I am thinking that there are more lesser dangerous chemicals causing the ozone depleation at lower altitudes and closer to population centers while the more dangerous free radical chemicals (CFC's) that are now banned are allowing the ozone to heal at distances.

And again with my comment about the EPA. Thousand ofnew chemicals are being allowed every year without being tested. There is a huge increase with the increased technology and population workforce. When it comes to chemicals, the company making and selling the chemicals has a much higher probability of making a profit over causing significant enough damage to be thrown in jail or sued. By the time it gets to the point of being thrown in jail or sued, the money has been made. It's extremely difficult to bring a case against a company producing or selling a toxic chemical.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/it-could-take-centuries-for-epa-to-test-all-the-unregulated-chemicals-under-a-new-landmark-bill
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Return to News Discussion Forum