Stephen Hawking reported to have died

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Stephen Hawking reported to have died

Postby Event Horizon on March 13th, 2018, 11:56 pm 

News reports are saying the brilliant Professor Steven Hawking has died at the age of 76.

He was responsible for the seminal text, "A Brief History of Time" amongst other books and papers

The man was a legend in his own lifetime, and was even featured in the American cartoon "The Simpsons" which a lot of people regard as a an honour.

This is a sad day for science, and a sad day for his family. I'm sure there going to be a lot of tributes for him over the coming days. Iam sure he will be sorely missed.

RIP Steven. Time to rest now, thankyou for your ingenious work.
Last edited by zetreque on March 19th, 2018, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected post title
Event Horizon

Re: Steven Hawking reported to have died

Postby Watson on March 14th, 2018, 12:00 am 

Yes.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43396008?ns_ ... ws_central

A good age considering the earlier prognosis?
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby Event Horizon on March 14th, 2018, 12:25 am 

Yes, I would say that given his Motor Neuron disease he would be life limited. Fortunately this seems not to have been the case, and 76 isn't too shabby given the problems he had. If I live as long I won't be disappointed.

Such an influential guy. He confirmed the singularity event, predicted black holes at the center of galaxies and so much more. All backed up with the math for those that understand such rarefied stuff. He changed the scientific view of the universe with just the power of his intellect. Amazing guy.
Event Horizon

Postby JohnD on March 14th, 2018, 1:48 am 

For everyone there is always a time to say goodbye.

Goodbye Stephen Hawking. To the great annals of science go thee.
JohnD

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Event Horizon on March 14th, 2018, 2:00 am 

I wonder if Professor Hawking was the closest man in modern times to the great Albert Einstein? A towering intellect that probed and proved concepts we could barely imagine without his guidance. One of a very rare breed.
Event Horizon

Postby BadgerJelly on March 14th, 2018, 2:06 am 

Event Horizon » March 14th, 2018, 2:00 pm wrote:I wonder if Professor Hawking was the closest man in modern times to the great Albert Einstein? A towering intellect that probed and proved concepts we could barely imagine without his guidance. One of a very rare breed.

No, he wasn't. That would be the simple answer.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby JohnD on March 14th, 2018, 2:13 am 

Now there's a discussion to be a fly of the wall at. Albert, Stephen and Gabriel.
Topic: Origins
JohnD

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby hyksos on March 14th, 2018, 3:07 am 

Professor Stephen Hawking has died on Albert Einstein's birthday.

...there is something strange in the air.
hyksos

Postby zetreque on March 14th, 2018, 3:52 am 

hyksos » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:07 am wrote:Professor Stephen Hawking has died on Albert Einstein's birthday.

I think that depends on the time zone? Relative to the observer.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby BadgerJelly on March 14th, 2018, 5:27 am 

zetreque » March 14th, 2018, 3:52 pm wrote:
hyksos » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:07 am wrote:Professor Stephen Hawking has died on Albert Einstein's birthday.

I think that depends on the time zone? Relative to the observer.

;)

I imagine Hawking would appreciate the irony of pulling out our astrological charts to figure out when he'll be reborn as the savior of physics in some future dystopian world. haha!

Just a thought ... has anyone check the batteries? Maybe he chair just needs a recharge? :D

Anyway, jokes aside his book was the first serious, and difficult, book I read. I also remember the use of his voice on some mobile advert that has resonated with me to this day ...

"All we need to do is make sure we keep talking."

And as a figure of what a human is capable of under the face of physical adversity he will no doubt remain a role model for many in the years to come.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby toucana on March 14th, 2018, 8:22 am 

Steven Hawking 's death was reported on 3-14-2017

or 3.142... International Pi Day ;-)
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby Braininvat on March 14th, 2018, 9:51 am 

Was going to point out both the Pi day and Albert's birthday coincidence, but am in a time zone where I am late to the party. Or wake. He played an excellent game of poker on an episode of Star Trek Next Gen. I am loath to compare physicists (where would Einstein have been without Poincare and Lorentz? Or Planck? Or Maxwell?) with tape measures. He was a great one. And his longevity with MND was remarkable.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Watson on March 14th, 2018, 10:22 am 

Many years ago, I wrote to him. Pen, paper, envelope, stamp and followed up with a nice walk to the post box on the corner. Back then the inbox hung outside beside the front door. And yes, about 10 days later I got a reply. It was a polite and brief reply on behave of Steven, from his assistant.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby toucana on March 14th, 2018, 1:11 pm 

Hawking_Epitaph.png

This is the epitaph Steven Hawking wished to have written on his gravestone.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/stephen-hawking-death-dies-equation-discovery-tombstone-radiation-nobel-a8254966.html

It's the entropy equation for Hawking-Beckstein radiation emission in black holes.
to my great surprise, I found there seemed to be emission from the black hole. At first, I thought this must be a mistake in my calculation. But what persuaded me that it was real, was that the emission was exactly what was required to identify the area of the horizon with the entropy of a black hole.

“I would like this simple formula to be on my tombstone.” - Steven Hawking
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby zetreque on March 15th, 2018, 11:51 pm 

I have often wonders how much of his lack of mobility lead to his achievements.
Being less mobile and already interested in physics might lead a person to spending more time thinking about and working on specific advanced concepts which would result in more achievements in that area.

Being mobile might bring more of a chance to get side tracked doing other things.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Event Horizon on March 16th, 2018, 12:35 am 

Prof. Hawking said that getting motor neuron disease was the catalyst that spurred him on. He said that until the diagnosis he was "Tired of life". He was given two years to live when he was about 22. He went on to say that in a way, it was the best thing that happened to him, and perhaps it was.
He was able to conceptualize his ideas, but you don't need a working body to do that.

He will be a role-model for disabled people everywhere, him proving that virtually anything was still possible.

His acerbic wit and cheeky humour just served to make him more endearing.

There is a huge amount of praise and thanks going his way (a bit of hyperbole too, but that's natural enough)

I might even manage to finish his book one day, but my maths aren't really up to it. I can understand the concepts well enough though.
Event Horizon

Re: Invasive imported species - Cane Toads

Postby zetreque on March 16th, 2018, 12:37 am 

I read "The Universe in a Nutshell" a while back.

In addition to wondering about his mobility lending him time to work on physics I also wonder where he got his money from to have the time.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Event Horizon on March 16th, 2018, 1:00 am 

Scholarships, grants, and whatever his professorship earned him. Guest speaking, TV appearances, book sales and sponsorships all helped I expect. He may even have held intellectual property and patents.
Event Horizon

Postby mitchellmckain on March 16th, 2018, 3:15 am 

Event Horizon » March 14th, 2018, 1:00 am wrote:I wonder if Professor Hawking was the closest man in modern times to the great Albert Einstein? A towering intellect that probed and proved concepts we could barely imagine without his guidance. One of a very rare breed.

There are some points of similarity. But such comparisons are always problematic, because much of what makes them great is the circumstances which gave them the opportunity to contribute so much. Most "great" people in history were extremely privileged, for there still is a great deal of genius which is never realized because of circumstances. Thus instead of making such comparisons, I think it makes more sense to simply say that he did good with challenges and opportunities which he had in his life.
mitchellmckain

Postby Watson on March 18th, 2018, 7:40 pm 

This gave me interest in finding my files from back then. I have not looked at them in decades other than to move them from house to house. I found the letter from Steven Hawking's assistant, and others. I had a brief correspondence with Allan Guth, all back in 1991. It will be interesting to see what I have on file.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Watson on March 19th, 2018, 11:00 am 

I meant Stephen. I corrected myself based on the thread title, which mislead a few of us.
Last edited by Watson on March 19th, 2018, 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Event Horizon on March 19th, 2018, 11:11 am 

I apologise for the mis-spelling of Stephens' name. For some reason I forgot it had an alternate spelling. A mental abberation on my part. Sorry.
Event Horizon

Re: Stephen Hawking reported to have died

Postby Braininvat on March 19th, 2018, 12:54 pm 

The man had two birds in his name.

StepHEN HAWKing.

Been savin' that one.

Probably should have saved it a little longer. and then some.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Return to News Discussion Forum