New bodily organ discovered

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

New bodily organ discovered

Postby BadgerJelly on March 27th, 2018, 11:08 am 

The Interstitium

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/health-news/meet-the-interstitium-the-largest-organ-we-never-knew-we-had/ar-BBKKPI1?li=AAmiR2Z&ocid=spartanntp

The new organ, he explained, was a thin layer of dense connective tissue throughout the body, sandwiched just under our skin and within the middle layer of every visceral organ. The organ also made up all the fascia, or the thin mesh of tissue separating every muscle and all the tissue around every vein and artery, from largest to smallest. What initially seemed to be a solid, dense, connective tissue layer was actually a complex network of fluid-filled cavities that are strong and flexible, yet so tiny and undiscerning that they escaped the attention of the brightest scientific minds for generations.

It seemed to be everywhere, and Theise realized the potential enormity of what they’d discovered, calculating that it was largest organ of the body by volume—larger even than that of skin due to its wrapping around every organ, including the skin. At about 20 percent of all the fluid of the body, and about 10 liters, it was gigantic despite the fact that it could only be seen by peering through a microscope: The cardiovascular system (heart, veins, arteries, and capillaries) weighed in at about a third of that volume, the cerbrospinal fluid 20 times smaller.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Re: New bodily organ discovered

Postby Braininvat on March 27th, 2018, 12:09 pm 

Wow, Sin Crow Nicety. I just surfed over to news to start a new thread with this:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/new-organ-human-body-interstitium-cancer-skin-scientists-discovery-new-york-a8275851.html

My internal shock absorbers are dealing with it.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby BadgerJelly on March 27th, 2018, 1:03 pm 

I remember hearing something about this a year ago I think. Back then I am guessing it wasn't "confirmed".
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on March 27th, 2018, 1:21 pm 

This could perhaps give some validity to some of the claims made for the health benefits of massage therapy.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Watson on March 27th, 2018, 1:50 pm 

BadgerJelly » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:03 pm wrote:I remember hearing something about this a year ago I think. Back then I am guessing it wasn't "confirmed".

“We always thought those cracks were, ‘Oh, we tore the tissue a little,’” Theise said as he flipped through slides that consistently showed the wavy, almost dancing, spaces that were in each slide. “But no, those tiny ‘cracks’ are the remnants of the interstitial spaces. For 200 years, we said these cracks were just tear artifacts.”

Sounds like this layer is old news, so you may have heard some thing related. The fullness and extent of it is the news of interest.
Not only giving the cancer a possible express way to the rest of the body, or the acupuncture angle, I also have had pains or an itch in one area, with an apparently matching sensation in an entirely different area, or deeper.
I think this is far more interesting than even the first article implies.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby mitchellmckain on March 27th, 2018, 3:28 pm 

Just naming and categorizing something as a "new organ" has no information content for me. Sounds like hype ready to be exploited by "alternative medicine" and a new sales pitch in order to create more phony markets for things people don't really need. Much more interesting would be some solid information on what this so called "new organ" does for us and what role it might have in explaining some diseases and offering new treatments.
mitchellmckain

Postby Braininvat on March 27th, 2018, 3:30 pm 

Which is precisely what my linked article, from the Independent, addressed.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby zetreque on March 27th, 2018, 4:22 pm 

mitchellmckain » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:28 pm wrote:Just naming and categorizing something as a "new organ" has no information content for me. Sounds like hype ready to be exploited by "alternative medicine" and a new sales pitch in order to create more phony markets for things people don't really need. Much more interesting would be some solid information on what this so called "new organ" does for us and what role it might have in explaining some diseases and offering new treatments.

How much of the "new organ" thing is one of the flaws of current science where people are honored for "new" research rather than duplication, etc?

I was wondering if this was just the terminology the media slapped on it so I checked and I can't find the original paper. Multiple news sources are linking a broken link.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-23062-6
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Watson on March 27th, 2018, 4:31 pm 

Perhaps knowing how cancer spreads in the body through this Interstitium can be used to find a path to have a more effective delivery systems for medicines to the targeted areas, or delivery in more effective doses.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby mitchellmckain on March 28th, 2018, 12:33 am 

Stripping away the hype, what is left is pretty subtle. Though nowhere near as significant, it does remind me somewhat of the discovery of chaotic dynamics. In that case too, standard practice caused scientists to overlook something. But at this point the interest is more for scientists who now have a new frontier to explore, but whether there is much significance to the non-scientist is not yet known.
mitchellmckain

Postby Serpent on March 28th, 2018, 8:17 pm 

I have a big problem with this.
Not the notion of classifying connective tissue as an organ - I think that's akin to calling skin an organ, sort of. Skin has a more complex, structured system of cells with specialized functions, but spleen is a fairly simple organ, so that's okay. In fact, one might wonder why this classification wasn't made earlier.

But -
no: connective tissue, membranes, fasciae, elastin, reticulin and collagen have not been invisible or overlooked until last week. I was specially staining for those tissue elements back in 1972.
And we did not, either, "drain the fluid" out of specimens, or "dehydrate" them. If we did that, the cells, which are mostly water, would also disappear. In fact, I have had occasion to rehydrate tissues that had dried out in air.
Fixation does shrink tissues somewhat, and make them more dense, but it is done in a liquid, water-based medium and the subsequent processing replaces formalin with graded alcohols, acetone, a benzene and finally molten paraffin wax, which is then allowed to harden. The object of the process is to retain, permanently, the original shape, size and relationship of tissue elements, by replacing the liquid component with a solid one that can be sectioned and stained.

If scientists have ignored the continuity and interconnectedness of these tissues, it's not because the technicians screwed up the slides (artifact - forsooth!!) but because they didn't consider the damp spaces significant to diagnosis.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on March 28th, 2018, 8:44 pm 

They are still posting news on this today and the link to the main study still isn't working...
Are others able to access it or find a link to it?

Resolved: It's something to do with the Firefox browser.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to News Discussion Forum