Four Dead In Annapolis Newsroom Shooting

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Four Dead In Annapolis Newsroom Shooting

Postby toucana on June 28th, 2018, 4:10 pm 

At least four people have beeen shot dead and another twenty injured in a mass shooting attack at a newspaper building in Annapolis Maryland

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/06/28/us/annapolis-maryland-newsroom-shooting/index.html

Police were alerted to reports of an active shooter at the offices of the Capital Gazette at 888 Bestgate Road Annapolis earlier this afternoon. One person is in custody who is believed to be the shooter. Law enforcement sources say there are multiple wounded.

The ATF and FBI said they are also responding to a shooting at that location.

The Capital Gazette and its sister paper the Maryland Gazette are two of the oldest newspapers in the country. They are owned by the larger Baltimore Sun.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (7)

Re: Four Dead In Annapolis Newsroom Shooting

Postby toucana on June 28th, 2018, 9:01 pm 

Yiannopoulos.jpg
Milo Yiannopoulos

Here is an on-record comment from just three days ago by former Alt-Right poster-boy Milo Yiannopoulos.
“I can’t wait for the vigilante squads to start gunning journalists down on sight,”

http://observer.com/2018/06/milo-yiannopoulos-encourages-vigilantes-start-gunning-journalists-down/

Yiannopoulos made these remarks to the Observer in response to an article they had published about a New York restaurant in the Upper East Side called Beach Cafe which is said to have become a favourite watering-hole of Donald Trump’s inner circle.

Yiannopoulos sent the same message which he described as his
standard response to a request for comment”

to another journalist Will Sommer of The Daily Beast who had written an article about attempts by Yiannopoulos and other right-wing extremists to infiltrate the struggling UK Independence party formerly led by Nigel Farage.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/far-right-youtube-stars-plan-takeover-of-ukip

Milo Yiannopoulos had previously fallen out with the Mercer family and lost his job at Breitbart over his incendiary brand of rhetoric.

This past weekend, the nationalist bragged on Facebook and Instagram that he’d sent $14.88 to The New Yorker‘s former fact checker Talia Lavin (who is Jewish).

According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, “The number 1488 is a combination of digits popularly used by white supremacists and neo-Nazis—14 to represent the infamous “14 Words” (a mantra about securing “a future for white children”) and 88 to represent “Heil Hitler.”

Breaking
NBC News reported Thursday evening that law enforcement have identified Jarrod Ramos, 38, as the suspected gunman in a deadly shooting at the Capital Gazette’s newsroom in Annapolis, Maryland. According to NBC, Ramos sued the newspaper in 2012 for defamation, but the case was tossed by a judge.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/jarrod-ra ... d?ref=home
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby wolfhnd on June 28th, 2018, 9:25 pm 

Milo should be done now.

The culture wars are out of control, I thought after the Republican congressmen were shot we had probably seen the worst of it.
wolfhnd
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby toucana on June 28th, 2018, 9:53 pm 

CBS report that the suspect in custody has been identified as 38-year-old Jarrod Ramos from Laurel Maryland.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jarrod-ramos-annapolis-shooting-suspect-identified-maryland-shooting-capital-gazette-today-2018-06-28/

The suspect who was carrying no ID when arrested had apparently damaged his own fingertips to frustrate police attempts to identify him by fingerprinting. The Anne Arundel County police used facial recognition technology instead to match the suspect with images from databases of passport and drivers license photos.

Local court records show that the suspect had been pursuing a long-running feud with the Maryland Gazette dating back to a report they carried in 2012 when the suspect was convicted of criminally harassing a woman both online and offline, and attempting to get her fired from her job by making false claims to her employer.

The suspect subsequently tried to file a suit for defamation against the Maryland Gazette, but the suit was thrown out of court by a Judge, and an appeal against that ruling was dismissed in 2015.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby wolfhnd on June 28th, 2018, 10:11 pm 

toucana » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:53 am wrote:CBS report that the suspect in custody has been identified as 38-year-old Jarrod Ramos from Laurel Maryland.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jarrod-ramos-annapolis-shooting-suspect-identified-maryland-shooting-capital-gazette-today-2018-06-28/

The suspect who was carrying no ID when arrested had apparently damaged his own fingertips to frustrate police attempts to identify him by fingerprinting. The Anne Arundel County police used facial recognition technology instead to match the suspect with images from databases of passport and drivers license photos.

Local court records show that the suspect had been pursuing a long-running feud with the Maryland Gazette dating back to a report they carried in 2012 when the suspect was convicted of criminally harassing a woman both online and offline, and attempting to get her fired from her job by making false claims to her employer.

The suspect subsequently tried to file a suit for defamation against the Maryland Gazette, but the suit was thrown out of court by a Judge, and an appeal against that ruling was dismissed in 2015.

Well glad it wasn't political.
wolfhnd
Resident Member

Postby toucana on June 28th, 2018, 10:34 pm 

Correction- It was the Capital Gazette the suspect had been feuding with, not the Maryland Gazette (they are sister papers).
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby Watson on June 28th, 2018, 11:52 pm 

Good to hear it is not a gun issue.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby BadgerJelly on June 29th, 2018, 12:15 am 

Milo is Jewish right? So ... if he is a Nazi then ??

The guy is a provocateur toucana, but unlike you he has a reasonable degree of intelliegence and a pair of balls.

Does it make sense to label a homosexual jew who has had a muslim boyfriend as a Nazi? Tasteless, yes. He certainly makes a living poking and prodding people and if some nazi halfwits decided to go “gun people down” because a gay jew made one of several purposefully provocative remarks then ...

Toucana I think we should meet up. I’ll back in the UK in August. I’d like to make sense of where the hell you’re coming from. What do you say?
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby wolfhnd on June 29th, 2018, 1:08 am 

Watson » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:52 am wrote:Good to hear it is not a gun issue.

Correction, not a assault weapon problem and not a home made bomb problem.
wolfhnd
Resident Member

Postby toucana on June 29th, 2018, 4:51 am 

BadgerJelly » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:15 am wrote:Milo is Jewish right? So ... if he is a Nazi then ??

The guy is a provocateur toucana, but unlike you he has a reasonable degree of intelliegence and a pair of balls.

Does it make sense to label a homosexual jew who has had a muslim boyfriend as a Nazi? Tasteless, yes. He certainly makes a living poking and prodding people and if some nazi halfwits decided to go “gun people down” because a gay jew made one of several purposefully provocative remarks then ...

Toucana I think we should meet up. I’ll back in the UK in August. I’d like to make sense of where the hell you’re coming from. What do you say?

The facts are as I reported them BadgerJelly. If you bother to check the linked sources I supplied, you will find that it was Milo Yiannopoulos himself, not me, who boasted about sending $14.88 to a Jewish journalist on his own Facebook and Instagram accounts. And it was Milo who recently added to his own previous defence of pedophilia (which was got him sacked from Breitbart) by calling for vigilantes to gun down journalists.

Out of curiosity, what are you planning to bring with you when you come to see me ? A pump-action shotgun or an AK-47 ? Or were you planning to be a little more British and simply use a crowbar to break my kneecaps ?

Either way, I'll put the kettle on and prepare to explain to you exactly where I'm coming from.

p.s. - It's spelled "Intelligence"
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby BadgerJelly on June 29th, 2018, 6:21 am 

I am curious why it is you read everything the best way it fits into your strange world view. Did I bother to look at the link? Yes. Is Milo Jewish? You seemed to avoid answering that one.

I never said he didn’t send the message. I clearly stated he is “tasteless” in his provocative approach. I just found to call a jew a nazi.

Do you really think I cannot spell intelligence? Fingers do slip y’know. My apologies you cint ;)

Milk no sugar please! Where you at?
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby toucana on June 29th, 2018, 8:22 am 

Is Milo Jewish? You seemed to avoid answering that one.

You seem to be under the misapprehension that someone of Jewish descent cannot possibly be a Nazi. The history of WWII shows a number of interesting examples to the contrary.

https://www.quora.com/Were-there-any-high-ranking-Nazis-with-Jewish-ancestry

Field Marshal Erhard Milch (1892-1972) who was a key figure in the construction of the Luftwaffe had a Jewish father and was regarded as a Mischling or ‘halfbreed’. He was issued with a German ‘Blood Certificate' declaring him to be an ‘Honorary Aryan’.

Milch was protected by his boss Reichsmarshall Hermann Goering (1893-1946) who himself was said to have partial Jewish ancestry via a family tie to a Swiss banking family.

Other Mischlings who became prominent figures in the Nazi regime and who also had special exemptions as ‘Honorary Aryans’ included:
Bernhard Rogge (1899-1982) - Vice admiral Kriegsmarine
Gotthard Heinrici (1886-1971) - Wehrmacht general
Emil Maurice (1897-1972) - Co-founder of the SS and Hitler’s chauffeur.

Reinhard Heydrich (1904-1942) the feared head of the RSHA/Gestapo was said to have been of Jewish ancestry via his paternal grandfather’s mother- a fact he ruthlessly suppressed throughout his career.

Heydrich’s protoge Adolf Eichmann (1906-62) the deputy head of the Gestapo who planned the entire logistical structure of the holocaust made a point of learning Hebrew and Yiddish, and was prone to recite Hebrew prayers. He was said to have recited the traditional Hebrew Shema when captured by Israeli agents in 1960.

https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=75635
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby Braininvat on June 29th, 2018, 9:16 am 

Appreciate posts supporting their claims with citations. Thanks.

Less enchanted with posting insults followed by suggesting a meet-up. In some parts of the Net, that's viewed as a bit threatening. I gather it was a joke, but maybe should move on.

As for Milo (removing mod hat now), I found his recommendation of lethal violence a little beyond "tasteless. " In any case, anyone who wants to laud his intelligence should probably review his career highlights and see if that fits with any definition of intelligence generally used.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Braininvat on June 29th, 2018, 9:19 am 

Watson » June 28th, 2018, 8:52 pm wrote:Good to hear it is not a gun issue.

You made me choke on my coffee! Always enjoy your one-liners., W.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby BadgerJelly on June 29th, 2018, 9:26 am 

I have just been informed of an “implied threat”?

I would like to meet you. The “threat” was not implied by me? I never mentioned “crowbars” or “guns”? Little confused here. I already have Lomax’s number because I a curious about meeting people face to face fro this site because I’ve been on here a long time and travel quite a bit (the offer goes out to ANYONW else too)

Note: I don’t own a gun, I don’t drink, smoke, or scream and shout.

Just always puzzled by the lack of “science” related news topics on a science forum. So I want to know what you agenda is because it certainly isn’t about posting science news or in keeping with the kind of posts that used to happen pre-Trumpian nightmare.

Milo isn’t a Nazi as far as I can see. I listen to some of his stuff before. He is a clown, a performer, and a out to provoke those whom he has distain for with their victimhood mentality - he always goes too far. Nothing new there.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on June 29th, 2018, 10:07 am 

I pm'd you on forum rules and how this breaks them. Just curious, do you generate many face to face meetings here with an opening salvo like that one? LoL.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby toucana on June 29th, 2018, 12:36 pm 

Can't actually see a PM in my message history from you BIV, but I'll take one as read.

As I mentioned briefly in another thread, I have a 20 year history of wearing a SOp @ in the wild west of IRC (Internet Relay Chat). I have bulging folders of log files that are chock-full of chat-up lines a lot worse than that.

One special favourite was the Al Qaeda spammer who threatened to have me abducted and shot by a Feyadeen firing squad after I got his #ArabPower channel shut down.

I don't usually meet people IRL. In fact I've only ever met one person that way, (a girl from Canada who happened to visit UK) in my entire history of online activity.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby Braininvat on June 29th, 2018, 2:53 pm 

Previous post of mine was to Badger, not you, Toucana. I thought context made that clear. The quote was from Badger. Twas he who I pm'd.

Anyway, sounds like we need a term other than Nazi to refer to white nationalists, and other groups whose guiding principles conform to the definition of fascism.

For Milo, how about "white nationalist who engages in targeted abuse and harassment of others, especially if they belong to racial or religious minorities... "?

(it got him kicked off twitter, iirc)

Gosh that's a mouthful. Fewer syllables would be better.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby BadgerJelly on June 29th, 2018, 3:22 pm 

Biv -

If you take out the “white nationalist” you’d be a helluva lot closer.

This is the issue I have. If you are unable to question the labels other put on people (especially when they are so negative) then the lines become blurred.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby SciameriKen on June 29th, 2018, 6:28 pm 

BadgerJelly » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:22 pm wrote:Biv -

This is the issue I have. If you are unable to question the labels other put on people (especially when they are so negative) then the lines become blurred.

Not sure what you are saying here -- can you clarify it?
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby toucana on June 29th, 2018, 7:27 pm 

Just in case anyone forgets, the NRA explicitly threatened journalists earlier this year in a specially prepared menacing video promotion fronted by their spokesperson Dana Loesch which warned journalists that - "Your time is running out".

The video which was posted on Twitter on the NRATV account on 5 March 2018 can be reviewed on this link:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/nra-video-threatens-journalists-gun-laws-us-florida-shooting-twitter-dana-loesch-a8240341.html
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby Braininvat on June 29th, 2018, 8:24 pm 

Just learned that the brother of one of my favorite comic/crime novelists, Carl Hiaasen, was the editor killed in the shooting. When I saw the name Rob Hiaasen on the list, I suspected he might be related. Carl is also well known as a columnist at the Miami Herald, and was very proud of his younger brother's achievements at The Capital Gazette.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby BadgerJelly on June 30th, 2018, 12:33 am 

SciameriKen » June 30th, 2018, 6:28 am wrote:
BadgerJelly » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:22 pm wrote:Biv -

Not sure what you are saying here -- can you clarify it?

Sure. Was just saying if you call someone a “white nationalist” when they are not a white nationalist, even though they hold some common views, then you’re blurring the lines.

The most common popular example of such slurring has been seen with Jordan Peterson being called a “Nazi” and such, as well as being compared to Milo funnily enough. If everyone you disagree with is cast in the same manner simply because you don’t like what they say, then people end up conflating things like “white supremacists” with “white nationalists”, and then “white nationalists” with “nationalists”, then “nationalists with conservatives.”

I don’t buy into sensationalist news stories designed to denounce people without even attempting to offer room for doubt or a counter position.

Milo “attacks” (criticises) all groups. He “especially” focuses on left wing protesters and far left ideology. He himself, imo, has blurred the lines too. It’s, no secret that the political landscape is polarized and this is nothing new, just more apparent due to the expansion of global communications.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby toucana on June 30th, 2018, 4:58 am 

Ok - Here’s a link to the exposé published by Buzzfeed in October 2017 based on leaked internal emails from Breitbart during the time Milo Yiannopoulos was working there as a Tech editor.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbernstein/heres-how-breitbart-and-milo-smuggled-white-nationalism?utm_term=.tbpl0vmZ3#.oovk7PvBn

This lengthy article documents the close working relationships between Milo Yiannopoulos and such luminaries as Devin Saucier editor of the white supremacist magazine American Renaissance, Andrew Auernheimer the adminstrator of The Daily Stormer - a neo-nazi website, and Tim Gionet aka Baked Alaska, another white nationalist who (like Milo) was banned from Twitter sine die.

A special highlight is a video clip of Milo Yiannopoulos singing ‘America The Beautiful’ in a Dallas Karaoke bar with a crowd of neo-Nazis and white supremacists including Devin Saucier and Richard B. Spencer (the neo-Nazi who led the Charlottesville rally last year) all cheering and giving Nazi sieg heil salutes.

Good luck trying to spin that.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby BadgerJelly on June 30th, 2018, 10:16 am 

Here he is being “Islamaphobic”:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O7FtjtF4gM0

Spin? I would class posting about gun killings in the US and pinning it on Milo as spin. Others may think otherwise and I’d like to hear why?

With Bill Maher:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lImHh7fqrQo

On Fox (alt-right and racist?):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Grhp4Ia_1Sg

More:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgl53EXInPc

I just tend to listen to what people have to say. Do I agree with everything he says? Nope.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby toucana on June 30th, 2018, 12:52 pm 

I just tend to listen to what people have to say.

The funny thing is you always seem to listen most to people like Ann Coulter or Milo Yiannopoulos, and act as an apologist for their extreme views. I wonder why ?
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby Braininvat on June 30th, 2018, 12:57 pm 

Badge, I think there are two rival schools of thought on the matter of how to "read" a person politically. And this is what causes two reasonable intelligent people to deliver different readings of a person.

1. Your words indicate your beliefs.

2. The company that you keep indicates your beliefs.

If 1 and 2 match up, then we are usually going to be on the same page. If 1 and 2 differ, then there is debate and each side feels the other is ignoring an important clue to the person's essential beliefs.

I will admit that I really find Milo Y. rather baffling and bizarre. He is a gay man, married to an African-American man, yet often chooses the company of people who would seem not to support his choices at all. If he's just trying to get an interesting dialog going (there are people who do that....in the U.S. we have a black man who became famous for meeting up with and befriending (!) white supremacists and changing their views....I think there's a piece in The Atlantic about him, but not able to get link ATM), then okay. But if he's hanging out with such folks and trying to help enhance their public standing in America, then....well, you can see my confusion.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby BadgerJelly on June 30th, 2018, 1:27 pm 

Nope. I listen to many different view points and positions (even the one’s I detest; in which area I make a concerted effort to listen rather than cast judgements before a words breaks from their lips.)

Listening to what people say seems to be a good idea to me. I posted links for context.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby BadgerJelly on June 30th, 2018, 1:42 pm 

Biv -

Hence the title “provocateur” and “clown.” He certainly isn’t a halfwit, and certainly paints a rather contrary picture of himself.

I start “reading” a person listening to what they say. Yes, your words indicate your beliefs. His words don’t indicate that he is either a white nationalist or some huge bigot. His manner and his words indicate that he is precisely whatnhe says he is; a clown, provocateur, and vehement opposer to PC far-left leaning liberals.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby toucana on June 30th, 2018, 7:05 pm 

I wonder how many people have ever read the newspaper interview given by former British prime minister Lloyd George in September 1936, shortly after he had returned from a trip to Hitler’s Nazi Germany ?

https://thegreateststorynevertold.tv/lloyd-georges-impressions-adolf-hitler/

Lloyd George summed up his impressions of Hitler as follows:
“Germany does not want war. Hitler does not want war. He is a most remarkable personality, one of the greatest I have ever met in the whole of my life, and I have met some very great men.”

Mr Lloyd George was asked, “How do you reconcile that attitude towards Hitler with the suppression of the trade unions and the freedom of expression of opinion?” - He replied:
“I cannot explain it,” he replied. “I am merely stating the facts, but you must remember that the Germans are a highly disciplined people, and have always been so. They are far more accustomed to discipline than we are, and I think that the restrictions in existence in Germany at the present time would have a far greater effect upon people of this country than upon Germany.”

On the subject of anti-semitic racial policies of the Nazi regime, Lloyd George said:
“I have always thought, and still think, that the persecution of Jews in Germany has been a great misfortune. But Germany is not the only country that has persecuted Jews. We must not forget the pogroms in Russia and in other European countries.”

And he concluded:
“One of the foremost impressions which I derived from my visit was the universal desire to remain on terms of closest friendship with Great Britain. I found that among everyone I met, from Hitler down to the working men with whom I spoke. Everywhere Britain is held in deepest respect, and there is a profound desire that the tragic circumstances of 1914 should never be repeated.”

I would suggest that while “Listening to what people say” is a useful starting point, you then need to put your brain into gear and apply some serious critical judgement to evaluate the content of what has just been said, in order to decide whether any of it is meaningful or true.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Return to News Discussion Forum