"Sleepless In Helsinki"

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

"Sleepless In Helsinki"

Postby toucana on July 16th, 2018, 12:53 pm 

Presser.png

♫ ♫
Just the sound of your voice
The light in your eyes
You’re so far away from yesterday
- We go together, like a wink and a smile
♫ ♫
"You have been watching perhaps one of the most disgraceful performances by an American president at a summit in front of a Russian leader certainly that I've ever seen. An extraordinary press conference."
Anderson cooper CNN

https://edition.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-putin-helsinki/index.html

John Brennan, the former DCI and director of the CIA until 2017 had this to say on Twitter:
Brennan.png
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (7)

Re: "Sleepless In Helsinki"

Postby Braininvat on July 16th, 2018, 2:52 pm 

Trump has rejected the assessment of Russian activity made by his own government, from the entire intelligence branch to Paul Ryan to Richard Burr, chair of the Senate intelligence committee. Former CIA director John Brennan has categorized Trump's behavior as treason. It's hard to see how this is not correct.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby toucana on July 16th, 2018, 5:02 pm 

Some more ongoing analysis from Anderson Cooper and The CNN panel in Helsinki.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEMbnwk6v0Y

Two points in particular stand out:
i. Roger Bolton who subsequently became the president's NSA, wrote a year ago that "Russian meddling in the 2016 US presidential election was akin to an act of war" - Where does today's press conference leave him, now that he has been publicly thrown under the bus by his own president, along with the current DCI Dan Coats, the FBI and the Justice department ?

ii. Dana Bash the CNN chief political correspondent who re-read the transcripts pointed out that Jeff Mason of Reuters had this follow-up Q&A exchange with Putin:
Asked whether he had wanted Trump to win the 2016 election and had instructed officials to help him, Putin said “Yes I did”

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-usa-russia-summit/trump-and-putin-to-hold-first-summit-talks-as-twitchy-west-looks-on-idUKKBN1K6013

Do the House GOP Trump loyalists need this spelled out in Braille ?
Last edited by toucana on July 16th, 2018, 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby toucana on July 16th, 2018, 5:22 pm 

p.s. For anyone who didn't catch the Harry Connick Jnr. reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw0LC54Iko0
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby zetreque on July 17th, 2018, 12:08 am 

As long as people continue to talk about, put up with and try to make sense of this nonsense...

It works for presidents.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby toucana on July 17th, 2018, 5:51 am 

When invited by Jonathan Lemire of AP news at Helsinki to condemn Russia’s attack on the 2016 US presidential election, Trump made this hyper-partisan response:
“You have groups that are wondering why the FBI never took the server. Why didn’t they take the server? Where is the server, I want to know, and what is the server saying?”

The Daily Beast explains
The “server” Trump is obsessed with is actually 140 servers, most of them cloud-based, which the DNC was forced to decommission in June of 2016 while trying to rid its network of the Russian GRU officers working to help Trump win the election, according to the figures in the DNC’s civil lawsuit against Russia and the Trump campaign. Another 180 desktop and laptop computers were also swapped out as the DNC raced to get the organization back on its feet and free of Putin’s surveillance.

But despite Trump’s repeated feverish claims to the contrary, no machines are actually missing.

Trump and his allies are capitalizing on a basic misapprehension of how computer intrusion investigations work. Investigating a virtual crime isn’t a like investigating a murder. The Russians didn’t leave DNA evidence on the server racks and fingerprints on the keyboards. All the evidence of their comings and goings was on the computer hard drives, and in memory, and in the ephemeral network transmissions to and from the GRU’s command-and-control servers.

When cyber investigators respond to an incident, they capture that evidence in a process called “imaging.” They make an exact byte-for-byte copy of the hard drives. They do the same for the machine’s memory, capturing evidence that would otherwise be lost at the next reboot, and they monitor and store the traffic passing through the victim’s network. This has been standard procedure in computer  intrusion investigations for decades. The images, not the computer’s hardware, provide the evidence.

Both the DNC and the security firm Crowdstrike, hired to respond to the breach, have said repeatedly over the years that they gave the FBI a copy of all the DNC images back in 2016. The DNC reiterated that Monday in a statement to the Daily Beast.

“The FBI was given images of servers, forensic copies, as well as a host of other forensic information we collected from our systems,” said Adrienne Watson, the DNC’s deputy communications director. “We were in close contact and worked cooperatively with the FBI and were always responsive to their requests. Any suggestion that they were denied access to what they wanted for their investigation is completely incorrect.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trumps-missing-dnc-server-is-neither-missing-nor-a-server

When pressed to explain Russia's hacking by Chris Wallace of Fox News in a one-on-one interview, Vladimir Putin replied:
"Listen to me, please: The information that I am aware of, there is nothing false about it, every single grain of it is true. And the Democratic leadership admitted it."

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/16/politics/putin-fox-interview/index.html

Presumably a bank robber would use the same logic to justify robbing a bank by claiming that the money taken from the vault was all real ?
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby Braininvat on July 17th, 2018, 4:36 pm 

http://time.com/5340545/bill-browder-vl ... ald-trump/

The biggest mistake that Putin made in his offer today to effectively swap me for the 12 Russian agents is that he went to the wrong head of state. Although I was born in America, I emigrated to the United Kingdom 29 years ago and am a British citizen. If he really wants me, he better go talk to Theresa May, who might have a few choice words for him after Russian agents spread the military-grade nerve agent Novichok across the cathedral town of Salisbury, England.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby toucana on July 17th, 2018, 4:43 pm 

President Trump who apparently totally ignored 100 pages of briefing prepared for him by aides in advance of the Helsinki meeting with Putin (according to the Washington Post), has now come up with a novel explanation for his syncophantic word salad on Monday

https://www.thedailybeast.com/cnn-dismantles-trumps-absurd-double-negative-defense-points-for-being-creative?ref=home

Reading from a typed statement on Tuesday at the White House, President Trump said:
“In a key sentence in my remarks, I said the word would instead of wouldn’t. The sentence should have been… ‘I don’t see any reason why it WOULDN’T be Russia.’ Sort of a double negative. So you can put that in, and I think that probably clarifies things.”

“Let me just say three little words,” Brooke Baldwin said after CNN aired President Donald Trump’s “clarification” about Russian meddling in the 2016 election during his joint press conference with Vladimir Putin. “This is ridiculous.”

“How gullible, with a slip, does he think Americans or the world is?” Baldwin asked in disbelief.

“If only that entire unbelievably, historically embarrassing spectacle could have been fixed with an ‘n,’ an apostrophe and a ‘t,’” Dana Bash said. “That is about as far of a stretch as any one of us could imagine. I guess he gets points for being creative there.”

“Maybe that was the one sentence that could have been different, but what about calling Vladimir Putin strong and tough?” Bash continued. “What about not calling him out on the world stage, never mind interfering in American elections, calling him out on Crimea, calling him out on the poisoning of somebody in Britain and the list goes on and on and on?”
She added, “I can’t believe I’m going to say this, but what he just did almost makes what happened yesterday worse.”
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby toucana on July 17th, 2018, 7:36 pm 

toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby toucana on July 18th, 2018, 12:54 pm 

"What I meant to say was - I don't see any Treason why it wouldn't be Russia"

Fixed !
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby toucana on July 20th, 2018, 5:31 am 

Notes.jpeg
President Trump's notes on desk

When president Donald Trump made his notorious double-negative “would/wouldn’t” clarification of his Helsinki summit remarks the following day he made one small but significant mistake.

https://www.indy100.com/article/trump-russia-notes-backtrack-election-meddling-photo-spelling-8452376

Speaking on Tuesday 17 July in the White House Cabinet Room, he attempted to defuse a firestorm of criticism by reading from a prepared typewritten statement which he clearly had no enthusiam for - CNN correspondent Gloria Borger said he looked like a kidnap victim in a hostage video. But he left his script face up with page two of his notes exposed on the desk in front of him. Press cameras were able to film it upside down, and with sufficient resolution to enable it to be read with ease when inverted and magnified with photo-editing software.

The images disclose two ham-fisted corrections made in Trump’s own inimitable hand with an oversize sharpie. The first is an addition that says
THERE WAS NO COLUSION

The second is a heavy crossing-out of a line that apparently originally read
“Anyone involved in that meddling [should be brought to] justice”

Now why would Trump baulk at saying that line in public ?
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Return to News Discussion Forum