US president believes ID card required to buy groceries

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

US president believes ID card required to buy groceries

Postby TheVat on August 1st, 2018, 6:31 pm 

In spite of Trump being a long-term teetotaler, his press secretary suggested that when he said "groceries" he meant "beer and wine. "

http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... require-id

An interesting attempt to walk back a presidential statement.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Re: US president believes ID card required to buy groceries

Postby toucana on August 1st, 2018, 8:00 pm 

I've been buying groceries in US stores on and off since 1973 during transatlantic visits, but never once had to show any ID or my passport, not even when purchasing alcohol or tobacco.

Back here in Blighty, I did hear one funny story of a young shopper who was asked by a cashier to produce photo ID to prove they were over 18 when trying to buy a frozen fish-pie in a local supermarket. But that turned out to be a terrified novice on a till who thought the fish-pie sauce was alcoholic (mussels simmered in wine), and therefore subject to age restrictions on purchase.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby toucana on August 2nd, 2018, 7:09 am 

"No you don't, unless you're buying your groceries in a strip-club."

Seth Meyers

https://www.thedailybeast.com/seth-meyers-roasts-trumps-laughable-grocery-store-ignorance?ref=home
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby someguy1 on August 2nd, 2018, 7:02 pm 

Like when Bush 41 expressed surprise at a supermarket scanner, or Obama said he'd visited 57 states. It's a dumb incident that means nothing. To the extent this non-issue pushes one's buttons, one might reflect on that.
someguy1

Postby toucana on August 2nd, 2018, 7:17 pm 

It's a dumb incident that means nothing.

Rather like Trump's rent-a-mob rallies then.

I hear the MAGA faithful are still doing their Happy-Clappy 'Lock her up !" chants at their revival meetings, as well as snarling at and cursing out the press when the cameras are running - (then asking nicely for selfies and autographs from the same journalists when the cameras are off).
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby TheVat on August 3rd, 2018, 9:16 am 

someguy1 » August 2nd, 2018, 4:02 pm wrote:Like when Bush 41 expressed surprise at a supermarket scanner, or Obama said he'd visited 57 states. It's a dumb incident that means nothing. To the extent this non-issue pushes one's buttons, one might reflect on that.

I posted it not for the significance of Trump's blooper, but for the amusing contortions of Ms. Huckabee. I can move it to Lounge, given that I was offering it for entertainment purposes.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Return to News Discussion Forum