Monsanto now Bayer to pay 289 million

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Monsanto now Bayer to pay 289 million

Postby zetreque on August 11th, 2018, 6:12 pm 

This sounds like a major shakeup for the intersection of the scientific world, the legal world and the corporate world. Exciting stuff. This is a major victory because it's so hard to link chronic toxins to health conditions. It also just released thousands (millions?) of documents to public domain of the corrupt inner workings of Monsanto that will be used in cases with thousands of plaintiffs to come.

Jeffrey Smith of the Institue for Responsible Technology explains the Monsanto vs Johnson verdict.
https://www.facebook.com/responsibletechnology/videos/10155799461531235/

press conference with Dewayne “Lee” Johnson Plaintiff
https://www.facebook.com/responsibletechnology/videos/10155799742171235/

Every major known human carcinogen had a moment like this. A moment when the science finally caught up. When they could no longer bury it, where people had to actually look at it and say we had a problem. And this case is that moment.

in many ways it was American democracy and our American justice system that was on trial in this case. Because in this case as in almost every case of an environmental injury of this magnitude you not only see many people injured but you also see a subversion of democracy, you see the corruption of public officials the capture of the agencies that are supposed to protect us all from pollution are captured by the industry they are supposed to regulate. The corruption of science, the falsification of science, and we saw all those things happen here. This is a company who used all of the plays in the playbook that was developed over over 60 years of the tobacco industry to escape consequences of killing one out of every five of it's customers that used it's product as directed, and Monsanto and roundup have used those strategies to insulate this product that is now ubiquitous in our food supply in our water in our wildlife in everything we touch in mothers breast milk We have past an inflection point where the science is now accumulated despite all of the efforts by Monsanto to put their finger in the dyke and hold back the science we have reached that inflection point where the science is now too persuasive to deny and this is the first time Monsanto has ever had to defend it's product in front of an American jury...

...I have to say this on this product. The science is very very firm on non-Hodgkins lymphoma, Monsanto has other problems too because the science is cascading now on liver cancer for this product, on endocrine disrupters which cause brain inflammation, on the chelation features on this product which remove important minerals from humans bodies which cause imbalance in metals which cause all kinds of problems, and so Monsanto i think Monsanto has to do real science now and not only look at non-hodgkins lymphoma but all the other potential adverse consequences of this product.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: Monsanto now Bayer to pay 289 million

Postby zetreque on August 11th, 2018, 7:24 pm 

This stuff is interesting even if you are just interested in law. I have heard time and again how it's more profitable to deny, do major harm and break the law than it is to face up or care.

Interview with Brent Wisner before the verdict.
https://www.facebook.com/responsibletechnology/videos/10155792389216235
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: Monsanto now Bayer to pay 289 million

Postby Event Horizon on August 12th, 2018, 8:20 pm 

I have seen reports pertaining to livestock (mainly sheep) that have been allowed to forage post-harvest ghyphosate treated plant material with disturbing illnesses and, If I recall animal deaths too.
However Stats would have made any major human health threat obvious. This has not been the case.
I have to declare I do not trust Monsatan 1 inch. This could be a fairly slow burning fuse this issue if past history is any kind of metric.
Event Horizon

Return to News Discussion Forum