“We’re in Crazy Town”

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

“We’re in Crazy Town”

Postby toucana on September 4th, 2018, 2:56 pm 

Woodward.jpg

Pre-prints of a new book ‘Fear: Trump In The White House’ by Pulitzer winning journalist Bob Woodward have reached the press, one week ahead of its official release to the public on 11 September.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/09/04/politics/bob-woodward-book-donald-trump-fear/index.html

Woodward’s 448 page book is based on hundreds of hours of interviews with many leading members of the Trump adminstration staff as well as documents, files, diaries and memos, including a note handwritten by Trump himself. Woodward explains that he talked with sources on "deep background," meaning he could use all the information but not say who provided it. To say that it paints an unflattering picture of the Trump administration would be something of an understatement.

Selected highlights:
- Chief of Staff John Kelly described Trump as an ‘Idiot’ and ‘Unhinged’.
- Defense Secretary James Mattis said Trump had ‘The understanding of a fifth or sixth grader’
- Secretary of state Rex Tillerson called Trump a ‘F*cking moron’ after the same meeting
- Economic adviser Gary Cohn resorted to stealing papers off Trump’s desk
- Other aides also resorted to hiding or stealing documents to pre-empt catastrophic decisions
- Trump’s personal lawyer John Dowd described him as a ‘F*cking liar’
- Trump failed a mock Mueller interview so badly, Dowd refused to allow a real one
- “You think I was struggling ?” Trump asked
- Tom Dowd & Jay Sekulow later shared the transcript of that rehearsal with Robert Mueller
- Their goal: to argue that Trump couldn’t possibly testify because he was incapable of telling the truth

Woodward describes repeated attempts to bypass Trump as "no less than an administrative coup d'état."

Throughout the book, Woodward portrays the President as a man obsessed with his standing in the media and with his core supporters. Trump appears to be lonely and increasingly paranoid, often watching hours of television in the White House residence. "They're out to get me," Trump said of Mueller's team.

Bob Woodward the author and Washington Post journalist has won two Pulitzer Prizes, including one for his coverage of the Watergate scandal that led to President Richard Nixon's resignation. It was the reporting of Bob Woodward and his colleague Carl Bernstein for the Washington Post that broke the Watergate scandal open in 1973, and led to the resignation of Nixon in August 1974
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (8)

Re: “We’re in Crazy Town”

Postby Braininvat on September 4th, 2018, 3:42 pm 

No doubt Woodward's reputation will lend this book more credibility than the previous two exposès published since he took office. My only problem with reading it is that I am already too aware that Trump shows obvious symptoms of dementia (I have talked with colleagues from my years working in cognitive sciences, who have pinpointed some of them for me) and personality disorder. It is sad and painful to watch, especially when it seems apparent that he is not getting the therapeutic care he needs nor the desperately needed advice from trusted friends and loved ones to resign. At this stage, he might not heed such advice, and could respond with rage and rash actions that might put us all in grave danger. Trump is not like Nixon. Nixon was a sane and intelligent politician who made terrible choices and had a moral lapse. That's why I found Nixon more loathesome - he was mentally competent and could have done better. Trump I don't hate at all. His decline (watch videos of him from over a decade ago... the change in vocabulary, in emotional stability, in shrewdness, is stark) is sad and pitiful. His ordeal is due to the insistence of a politically extreme base on having a figurehead, someone they can follow as an iconoclastic outsider, and keep propped up long enough to achieve their white nationalist goals.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Re: “We’re in Crazy Town”

Postby toucana on September 4th, 2018, 5:28 pm 

Quite an interesting article on the subject of 'Narcissistic Injury' and 'Narcissistic Rage' patterns of behaviour observed in people with NPD ( Narcissistic Personality Disorder)

https://www.alternet.org/trumps-downfall-neuroscientist-explains-what-happens-when-narcissist-starts-lose-power

When a narcissist’s self-esteem or self-worth is badly injured, their whole identity begins to fall apart, and they often respond with what is referred to as “narcissistic rage.” When this happens, the lashing out, bullying, threats, and erratic behaviors rise to new levels. Rather than accepting the blame one deserves for their own actions, narcissists tell themselves that others are responsible, and that they deserve to be punished. They often become obsessed with revenge, which comes in many forms, such as verbal or even physical abuse.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (8)

Return to News Discussion Forum