Tyndall AFB Levelled By Storm

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Tyndall AFB Levelled By Storm

Postby toucana on October 12th, 2018, 8:21 am 

Tyndall AFB in Florida has suffered catastrophic damage from hurricane Michael according to US Air Force sources.

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/tyndall-afb-leveled-by-hurricane-michael-as-most-other-installations-avoid-major-damage-1.551072

Tyndall AFB which is home to the 325th Fighter Wing and the 95th Fighter Squadron is located only a short distance from Mexico Beach where the hurricane came ashore accompanied by windspeeds of up to 150 mph.

Drone footage shows large hangars with roofs and sidings rippped off, and many other buildings completely demolished. The multi-million dollar F22-A fighter planes were flown out to safety ahead of the storm, but other support aircraft can be seen in wrecked hangars, while some older aircraft that were on static display near the flight-line have been severely damaged. One jet fighter can be seen tossed upside-down beside its display hardstand.

The flight line is devastated, the message said. “Every building has severe damage. Many buildings are a complete loss.”

Other areas that sustained “severe” or “catastrophic” damage include Tyndall Elementary School; the BX and commissary; the two shoppettes; the drone runway; and the Tyndall marina, which was “completely destroyed,” missing all structures and docks.

The base will be out of action for many weeks.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (8)

Re: Tyndall AFB Levelled By Storm

Postby zetreque on October 14th, 2018, 11:19 pm 

I am in awe of the destructive force of this. Is there anyone online that has a collection of photos that you have seen? I don't pay attention to news much these days but I'm curious about how destructive it was how far north. I can't wait until google updates its satellite images.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby toucana on October 15th, 2018, 7:22 am 

F-22.jpg
F-22A Raptor in wrecked hangar - Tyndall AFB

Business Insider have published quite an extensive photo-gallery of shots of the devastation at Tyndall AFB.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/hurricane-michael-photos-show-destruction-at-tyndall-air-force-f-22s-2018-10?r=US&IR=T/#heres-the-only-photo-weve-seen-yet-of-one-of-the-f-22s-left-behind-the-hangar-is-clearly-damaged-but-its-unclear-if-the-raptor-was-as-well-1

The article by Daniel Brown identifies many of the aircraft types that can be seen embedded in the wreckage, including at least one of the F22-A Raptor jets (some were under maintenance and couldn't be flown to safety).

The jet flipped over on its back was a decommissioned F-15 Eagle that was one of a group of vintage combat aircraft on static display. Those things weigh 28,000 Lb (12,700Kg) even when empty. You can just imagine what sort of wind force was required to flip it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_F-15_Eagle
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby zetreque on October 15th, 2018, 12:07 pm 

I have been getting all of my info from the weather dot com website.
There was one clip showing a train that was all derailed and the woman kept going on about how each car weights 60 thousand pounds.

Would be cool to have a map with locations of the photos to see how destructive and how far inland the force carried.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby toucana on October 15th, 2018, 1:18 pm 

Out of curiosity, I looked up this site to get a rough back-of-envelope estimate of the wind load force of a 150mph storm:

https://sciencing.com/calculate-wind-loads-wind-speeds-6104140.html

Load force of a 150mph hurricane wind hitting a 10' x 10' flat wall = 11,520psf
P = Wind pressure per square foot = 0.00256 x windspeed^2

P (@150mph) = 57.6 psf

Cd (drag coefficent) of a flat surface = 2

Load Force F
F = A x P x Cd
F = 100 x 57.6 x 2 = 11,520 psf
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Return to News Discussion Forum