Love in Another Dimension

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Love in Another Dimension

Postby toucana on November 18th, 2018, 12:22 pm 

Hatsune_Miku.jpg
Akihiko Kondo and bride Hatsune Miku

A Japanese man has married a hologram girl he has been in love with for over ten years at an $18,000 ceremony in Tokyo this month.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/11/12/national/japanese-man-marries-virtual-reality-singer-hatsune-miku-hologram/#.W_GNuS10fus

Akihiko Kondo’s mother refused an invitation to her only son’s wedding in Tokyo this month, but perhaps that isn’t such a surprise.

“For Mother, it wasn’t something to celebrate,” said the soft-spoken 35-year-old, whose “bride” is a virtual reality singer named Hatsune Miku.

In fact, none of Kondo’s relatives attended his wedding to Miku — an animated 16-year-old with saucer eyes and lengthy aquamarine pigtails — but that didn’t stop him from spending ¥2 million on a formal ceremony at a Tokyo hall.

Around 40 guests watched as Akhiko Hondo tied the knot with Miku, present in the form of a cat-sized stuffed doll.

Gatebox, the company that produces the hologram device featuring Miku, has issued a “marriage certificate,” which certifies that a human and a virtual character have wed “beyond dimensions.”

Kondo’s not alone either: He says Gatebox has issued more than 3,700 certificates for “cross-dimension” marriages and some people have sent him supportive messages.
Who and what is Hatsune Miku?
Hatsune Miku is a "Vocaloid" software voicebank developed by Crypton Future Media in 2007, with the design of a blue-haired 16-year-old girl.
She is a recognisable character in Japanese pop culture, featuring as a singer at live concerts as an animated projection, and now marketed as a virtual home anime companion.
Her voice is modelled from singer Saki Fujita, who has voiced numerous Japanese anime production. Miku has a huge following in Japan, with products and merchandise with her image said to be worth ¥10 billion (£69m).

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/japanese-man-marries-the-hologram-he-admired-for-10-years-in-tokyo-ceremony-a3991401.html

Mr Kondo said he doesn't care that the marriage isn't legally binding as Miku isn't strictly a form of intelligent life.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (8)

Re: Love in Another Dimension

Postby toucana on November 18th, 2018, 1:04 pm 

Ars Technica posted a feature and video about the Japanese Gatebox virtual home anime assistant just over two years ago.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/12/the-anime-girlfriend-experience-gateboxs-ai-powered-holographic-home-robot/
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby troyskull45 on November 19th, 2018, 10:25 pm 

I'm not sure that I could say I can relate because I've watched lots of anime up to date but when I've heard that at Japan in all of places and people who celebrate anime/animation in a hard core way. I couldn't believe that they would tried to accomplished this feat. There's a contradiction in my statement but I could say as long as the guy is happy, there's nothing I could say more.
troyskull45
Forum Neophyte

Postby toucana on November 20th, 2018, 3:56 am 

Eisuke Ichinomiya.png
Eisuke Echinomiya - Voltage VR Companion

Another interesting video by Bloomberg on the same topic notes that Japan has a wider relationship problem amongst younger people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FIOcIDM5U0

According to social scientists, 70% of unmarried men and 60% of unmarried women in the 18 - 34 age range in Japan are not in any form of romantic relationship with one another.

But it’s not just men like Akihiko Kondo who are seeking emotional fulfilment with AI holograms and VR companions. An article by journalist Callie Beusman documents the rise of Otome or ‘Maiden’ games and apps for romantically unfulfilled young women in Japan as well.

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/qkg74b/my-sensual-journey-into-japans-90-million-fake-anime-boyfriend-market

Whereas Gatebox provides female VR companions for lonely young men, the Voltage Corporation provides a wide range of immersive VR male romantic companions for lonely young women.

Some of the characters in the Voltage product catalogue are quite disturbing. One of their commercial front runners is a stylish but cold, aloof and narcissistic young aristocrat called Eisuke Ichinomiya who is featured in the Bloomberg video above. Women role-play a masochistic fantasy in which they are auctioned off to the highest bidder which turns out to be Eisuke Ichinomiya, who they must then obey and try to please in a narrative fantasy called “Kissed By The Baddest Bidder”.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Return to News Discussion Forum