Wildlife corridors

Anyone can post and discuss breaking science news or science-related public policy, that interests them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Wildlife corridors

Postby zetreque on December 22nd, 2018, 4:00 am 

These projects are so cool. A year ago I drove through banff Canada and they had them all over the place.

Washington state builds bridge to keep wildlife off highway
https://www.apnews.com/36755628e4c44fdabb01cb9599fa5aef
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: Wildlife corridors

Postby Serpent on December 22nd, 2018, 1:20 pm 

There has been considerable debate on this subject.
Canada and India have similar projects, and they sort-of-work, but also cause a new set pf problems, apparently.
The best example of connecting wildlife habitats, afaik, is Europe's international greenbelt, simply because it's continuous and includes original wild places. Of course, there isn't much wilderness left in Europe, so their wildlife is very precious, while, we in North America don't care nearly enough.

I'm picturing that bridge as an escape-route in the next season of forest fires. Is there enough land on the other side?
I'm also wondering (at the risk of raising your hackles) whether any such solutions are contemplated in the construction of the Great Steel Slats of Texas?
Serpent
Resident Member

Re: Wildlife corridors

Postby zetreque on December 22nd, 2018, 2:37 pm 

What new problems are you referring to?

Serpent » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:20 am wrote:I'm also wondering (at the risk of raising your hackles) whether any such solutions are contemplated in the construction of the Great Steel Slats of Texas?

I wonder that too. It needs to be part of the EIS analysis but given the current atmosphere will be ignored and sped along.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to Science News Discussion Forum