Hundreds Killed By Tsunami In Sunda Strait

Anyone can post and discuss breaking science news or science-related public policy, that interests them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Hundreds Killed By Tsunami In Sunda Strait

Postby toucana on December 23rd, 2018, 5:47 am 

Anak.jpg
Anak Krakatau Erupting - (Oystein Lund Andersen)

At least 168 people have been killed and 745 injured after a tsunami hit coastal towns on Indonesia's Sunda Strait, government officials say.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-46663158

The tsunami waves struck at night without any warning, destroying hundreds of buildings.
Officials say the tsunami could have been caused by undersea landslides after Anak Krakatau volcano erupted.

The Sunda Strait, between the islands of Java and Sumatra, connects the Java Sea to the Indian Ocean.

Saturday's tsunami struck at about 21:30 local time (14:30GMT), hitting several beaches including the popular Tanjung Lesung beach resort in the west of Java island.

The casualties include members of a popular Indonesian rock band called Seventeen who were performing a concert in a large tent on the beach. Horrifying footage shared on social media shows the band being swept away in mid-performance by a wall of water that overwhelmed the stage from behind without warning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpFeZwQZ3Rg

In a tearful Instagram video, lead singer Riefian Fajarsyah, said the band's bassist and road manager had died, and that three other band members and his own wife were missing.

Oystein Lund Andersen, a Norwegian volcano photgrapher who was present told the BBC World Service:
I was on the beach. I was alone, my family were sleeping in a room.

I was trying to photograph the erupting Krakatau volcano.

Earlier in the evening, there was quite heavy eruption activity. But just prior to the waves hitting the beach, there was no activity at all. It was just dark out there.

And suddenly I saw this wave coming, and I had to run.

There were two waves. The first wave wasn't that strong - I could run from it.

I ran straight to the hotel, where my wife and my son were sleeping.

And I woke them up... and I heard a bigger wave coming. I looked out of the window when the second wave hit. It was much bigger.

The wave passed the hotel. Cars were pushed off the road.

We and other people at the hotel went straight to the forest (on higher ground) next to the hotel. And we're still up on the hill now.

Vulcanologists believe the tsunami was probably triggered by an undersea landslide caused by the recent eruption of Anak Krakatau (Child of Krakatau) which is a small island that emerged from the sea in 1927 near the site of the apocalyptic 1883 eruption of Krakatoa which was destroyed in a 200 megaton blast that killed more than 30,000 people with ash falls and 41 metre tsunamis.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Re: Hundreds Killed By Tsunami In Sunda Strait

Postby toucana on December 24th, 2018, 4:13 am 

The U.S. Geological Survey is currently unable to provide data about the Indonesian tsunami due to the government shutdown.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/us-geological-survey-unable-to-provide-tsunami-data-due-to-government-shutdown_us_5c1fd6c7e4b0407e907c331d

Normally, the U.S. Geological Survey would report on such events and provide any necessary data it had to the public. But it can’t due to America’s partial government shutdown, which began Saturday after President Donald Trump refused to sign legislation that didn’t include funding for his southern border wall.

The USGS website is dormant as of Sunday, except for a notice at the top. “Due to a lapse in appropriations, the majority of USGS websites may not be up to date and may not reflect current conditions,” the note reads. “Websites displaying real-time data, such as Earthquake and Water and information needed for public health and safety will be updated with limited support.”

According to the government shutdown contingency plan, the USGS will retain just 75 of its estimated 8,032 employees, or 0.9 percent.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Return to Science News Discussion Forum