Human’s Evolved to Open Bottles with Mouths!

Anyone can post and discuss breaking science news or science-related public policy, that interests them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Human’s Evolved to Open Bottles with Mouths!

Postby BadgerJelly on March 15th, 2019, 5:31 am 

The rise of farming altered our bite and changed how people talk

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/rise-farming-altered-our-bite-and-changed-how-people-talk?fbclid=IwAR0VzsGF9eKWlC3KgFTHQ8GG034gFePAml0Qhm5ZKbZtAYllCRr3lqE5t2M

So, farming is to blame for Spanish people’s pronunciation of “cerveza”?

Over the last 6,000 years or so, farming societies increasingly have substituted processed dairy and grain products for tougher-to-chew game meat and wild plants common in hunter-gatherer diets. Switching to those diets of softer, processed foods altered people’s jaw structure over time, rendering certain sounds like “f” and “v” easier to utter, and changing languages worldwide, scientists contend.

People who regularly chew tough foods such as game meat experience a jaw shift that removes a slight overbite from childhood. But individuals who grow up eating softer foods retain that overbite into adulthood, say comparative linguist Damián Blasi of the University of Zurich and his colleagues. Computer simulations suggest that adults with an overbite are better able to produce certain sounds that require touching the lower lip to the upper teeth, the researchers report in the March 15 Science.

Note: I was looking at something about skull shapes a few weeks ago (for my attempts at drawing) and found a whole host of possibilities. In terms of allergies and other olifactory related conditions I got to wondering about how mouth breathing may effect health and mental well-being. Just a random thought as our nasal interaction with the world is a huge part of our neurochemistry being entwined closely with memory to name but one.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Re: Human’s Evolved to Open Bottles with Mouths!

Postby bangstrom on March 15th, 2019, 11:49 pm 

Walk into a bar on a frosty winter’s day when your mouth is frozen numb and try to order a cervesa in Spanish. It isn’t easy. It is easier to pronounce Bier as the Germans do without the labiodental action when it gets cold. Languages become more guttural as you go high up on the map and I suspect climate is involved.
bangstrom

Re: Human’s Evolved to Open Bottles with Mouths!

Postby BadgerJelly on March 16th, 2019, 12:20 am 

Hunter gatherers don’t have buck-teeth. Climate doesn’t seem to be a major factor as the hunter gatherers of all climes have “perfectly aligned” teeth.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Return to Science News Discussion Forum