Massive Explosion Destroys Chemical Plant in Eastern China

Anyone can post and discuss breaking science news or science-related public policy, that interests them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Massive Explosion Destroys Chemical Plant in Eastern China

Postby toucana on March 22nd, 2019, 3:07 am 

Yancheng.JPG
Chemical factory fire in Yancheng China

More than 900 firefighters are battling a large fire that killed at least 47 people and injured 640 after a pesticide factory exploded in eastern China on Thursday. Latest reports say that executives who ran the plant have been arrested.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3002686/injuries-reported-after-explosion-chinese-pesticide-plant

State-run news agency Xinhua reported that the blast occurred at a plant owned by Jiangsu Tianjiayi Chemical at the Chenjiagang Industrial Park in Yancheng, ( 盐城 ) Jiangsu province, just before 3pm. This is located about 300 Km north of Shanghai.

The plant had been flattened and reduced to rubble, with only part of the workshop frame still standing.

Workers at the Henglida Chemical Factory, 3km from the blast, said its windows and doors were blown out. Its roof collapsed as they tried to escape, and causing head injuries.

A survivor who was standing by the roadside 1.5km from the factory said the impact blew him and two of his friends into the air and rolled them over several times before they fell to the ground.

The explosion was so powerful that the China Earthquake Administration reported that it had detected a magnitude 2.2 earthquake believed to be from the blast.

“Workers were trapped after buildings were knocked down by the shock wave, which also shattered windows of nearby homes,” Xinhua reported. “Witnesses said many workers were seen running out of the factory covered in blood after the blast.”

Beijing Youth Daily reported that the explosion was caused by benzene and occurred in a production area of the pesticide plant. It was not clear if any of the chemical had polluted the area.

Jiangsu Tianjiayi Chemical was established in 2007 with registered capital of 90 million yuan (US$13 million). Its business includes the manufacture of chemical products such as hydroxybenzoic acid.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Re: Massive Explosion Destroys Chemical Plant in Eastern Chi

Postby toucana on March 22nd, 2019, 1:34 pm 

toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby someguy1 on March 22nd, 2019, 10:33 pm 

toucana » March 22nd, 2019, 1:07 am wrote:Latest reports say that executives who ran the plant have been arrested.

In this country they'd get bonuses. I was living near the 2010 San Bruno pipeline explosion. The northern California utility PG&E blew up a suburban neighborhood, killing eight people and destroying 50 houses. None of the local authorities or residents had any idea there was a major pipeline under their city. The ensuing investigation turned up decades of malfeasance and falsified records. PG&E was convicted of criminal violations; but not a single executive was held liable. How do you charge a corporation with a crime? The shareholders and ratepayers write a check to pay the fine; while the executives who saved money over the years by falsifying inspection reports instead of actually doing the inspections, all got bonuses and nice retirement packages.

Still angry about it, hit very close to home. Was across the street from my regular grocery store at the time. No accountability in this country. Like this recent college admissions scandal. The coaches got fired, but what about all the athletic directors and admissions staff who must have known what was going on but looked the other way?

Not to mention the FAA delegating the testing of the 737 Max to Boeing, which had a financial interest in approving the planes. When did we come to live in such a corrupt country? Was it always this way and I never noticed? Or have things gotten much worse than they used to be?
someguy1

Postby toucana on March 23rd, 2019, 2:36 am 

DeerPark.jpg
Chemical fire at Deer Park east of Houston Texas

From the SCMP report about the Yancheng pesticide plant explosion:
In the past, the company has received six administrative punishments for failures regarding solid waste management, environmental impact assessments and air pollution.

Meanwhile closer to home in the US, there is growing alarm about a massive fire that has been burning for six days at a chemical storage installation at Deer Park to the east of Houston Texas.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/deer-park-fire-officials-monitoring-air-quality-after-texas-chemical-plant-fire-2019-03-19/

Eight large storage tanks were reported to be burning uncontrollably earlier this week, with another seven in the path of the fire at the plant owned by Intercontinental Terminals Company (ITC) who store chemicals used in gasoline mixes and paint thinners. They can cause difficulty breathing, coughing, headaches and irritation to the eyes, nose and throat.
The company has a history of environmental violations, having paid more than $200,000 in fines over the past decade.

The plant owner, Intercontinental Terminals Company (ITC), said while the fire looks ominous, no one is in danger. ITC spokesman David Wascome said they continue to monitor air quality.

Officials said Tuesday they don't know how long it will take to burn itself out. Firefighters are trying to keep it from spreading — as thick black smoke billows into the air, hour after hour.

The chemical fire's flames are wider and the tower of smoke is thicker — darkening the Houston's sky as far as 40 miles away.

"We're working with Sea-Tac, we're also working with the EPA," said the company spokesman - a statement that did little to reassure a local resident like Jorge Guerra who lives three miles away.

"I've seen ash fall out -- black pieces of ash," Guerra said. "I've seen it on my cars, I've seen it on the front porch on the sidewalk. Does that scare you? It does me. What scares me more is what we don't see."

Reuters report that as in the case of the Chinese blast, that benzene was one of the pollutants released, and that hundreds of local residents have sought medical treatment for headaches and breathing difficulties within the last few days.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-texas-energy-houston-health/texas-petrochemical-fire-prompts-hundreds-to-visit-health-clinic-idUKKCN1R400D
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Return to Science News Discussion Forum