Speed Bumps on the road to micro-mobility

Anyone can post and discuss breaking science news or science-related public policy, that interests them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Speed Bumps on the road to micro-mobility

Postby PaulN on June 17th, 2019, 12:05 pm 

Nevertheless, the arguments in favor of electric scooters are nothing compared to the problems they cause. Let’s start with the least noxious: People abandon them in the middle of sidewalks, in doorways, at street corners where pedestrians are trying to cross. In a city dense with tourists, many of them drunk out of their minds, the introduction of more than 4,000 tripping hazards is not a civic boon. In cities like Santa Monica and Beverly Hills, according to the Los Angeles Times, fed-up residents “are taking matters into their own hands and waging a guerrilla war against the devices” — setting them on fire, throwing them from balconies and burying them at sea.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/17/opin ... ogin-email

I'm sorry to report that the line "burying them at sea" made me laugh.

I think driver awareness will have to change, and the scooter riders will have to start taking stuff like helmets, and traffic rules, a little more seriously. I've tried one, but I found myself instinctively sticking with side streets (as I tend to do on a bike) and moving pretty conservatively. It's part of my whole "I don't want to die right now" hangup, I guess. I also know, as a longtime bicyclist, that you can NEVER assume a car driver sees anything in a crosswalk. Nightime OR daytime. Sad, but true.
PaulN

Re: Speed Bumps on the road to micro-mobility

Postby PaulN on June 19th, 2019, 8:41 pm 

Hope Big Scooter isn't after me now.

Had a weird login problem today. Wouldn't take my password, so I had to click the "forgot your pw?" box, and the site sent me a new one.

Am pretty sure I hadn't forgotten my old pw.
PaulN

Postby TheVat on June 20th, 2019, 11:44 am 

The agents of Big Scooter are everywhere! I personally think anyone who mounts a scooter without a helmet, and tries to get on an arterial with it, is certifiable. And a likely future organ donor. At least, in the USA, where most drivers only see other cars.

I'm back, for a couple days, anyway. I've heard a couple reports about PW problems. If anyone else is having them, LMK. Paul handled it correctly: just click on "forgot your password" and the site will send you a new one. Just make sure you change your autofill, if you do that, so it's giving the correct new PW.
TheVat
Resident Member

Postby PaulN on June 24th, 2019, 12:38 pm 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-fran ... SKCN1TP1ZV

A good start. A scooter shouldn't be moving any faster than a bicycle.
PaulN

Return to Science News Discussion Forum