His mummy's voice?

Anyone can post and discuss breaking science news or science-related public policy, that interests them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

His mummy's voice?

Postby TheVat on January 23rd, 2020, 7:03 pm 

TheVat
Forum Administrator

Re: His mummy's voice?

Postby Serpent on January 23rd, 2020, 7:18 pm 

That's so weird, I don't even know what to think about it.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby TheVat on January 24th, 2020, 2:04 pm 

Heheh! Sort of my reaction, too. It's funny how attempts are made to predict the path of scientific innovation and then someone comes up with something that had never crossed anyone's mind. I suspect most of us were expecting that sounds coming from a mummy's throat would be confined entirely to B movies.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby Forest_Dump on January 24th, 2020, 3:12 pm 

I suppose it is possible that there have been genuine evolutionary changes since that time but I suspect not or at least not much. It is also possible that the structure of the organ responded to some kind of environmental or use "stress", also making it somehow different from similar organs of today. But again I haven't really heard that suggested. So overall this just sounds like a possibly fun techno-trick but not really much more than that. I suppose anything that gets people to take a moment of interest in something other than sports or the gossip of the day is of some value but Personally I don't see anything more than that here.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on January 24th, 2020, 7:27 pm 

The odds are against getting any useful information out of the poor old guy.
Serpent
Resident Member

Return to Science News Discussion Forum