Unhappy SHINE People

Anyone can post and discuss breaking science news or science-related public policy, that interests them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Unhappy SHINE People

Postby TheVat on September 22nd, 2020, 7:38 pm 

TheVat
Forum Administrator

Re: Unhappy SHINE People

Postby charon on September 22nd, 2020, 8:21 pm 

I hope they got whoever-it-was a new telly! But I'm surprised it took out the whole village. I mean, that's quite dramatic.

I'm also glad they found it because it wouldn't be long before the alienists and ghost-hunters started on it... seriously.

Anyone remember crop circles? Google it :-)
charon
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on September 22nd, 2020, 9:20 pm 

Technology is seriously getting away from us.
For every incident with a simple explanation and easy fix, there are ten problems nobody can solve.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby toucana on September 22nd, 2020, 9:54 pm 

The village of Aberhosan in Powys Wales was apparently internet connected via an ADSL link that relied on POTS (plain old telephone system) i.e. old fashioned twisted-pair copper telephone wires.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/09/18-months-of-village-broadband-disruption-traced-to-old-tv-set.html

This is vulnerable to both SHINE (single high-level impulse noise event) aka switching transients as dodgy equipment is turned on or off - and a near relation called REIN (repetitive electrical interference noise) which happens during sustained operation, and which both tend to affect broadband performance by triggering the DLM (dynamic load management) which drops the line speed to compensate.

Quite a variety of other types of mulfunctioning equipment have been found to do the same thing, including faulty Xmas tree lights. Taking out the broadband for an entire village with clockwork regularity at 7 a.m. each morning was however an exceptional achievement.

One quick way of troubleshooting this type of problem is apparently to walk around with an old-fashioned AM/FM radio tuned to 612 KHz frequency, and listen out for bursts of electronic noise as you approach suspect items of equipment.

The good news for Aberhosan is that their broadband supply is scheduled to be upgraded to a brand new fibre optic FTTP (Fibre To The Premises) service in the near future.This relies on laser pulses down a fibre optic cable, and can’t be borked by an old telly.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Return to Science News Discussion Forum