New Evolution Software

Science fun for all. Science fairs, homemade experiments, amateur microscopy, comics, puzzles, videos, or anything else you'd like to share.

New Evolution Software

Postby ahwilliams on August 11th, 2011, 8:47 pm 

I just finished a project I've been contemplating for quite some time. Its a simple program with little creatures that evolve over time and I've been able to evolve a few interesting creatures. Things that evade other creatures, find food, avoid walls etc, however it takes time. Not quite as much time as real world evolution but enough to make me wish there were a few more instances of the program running. I was wondering if anyone with some knowledge of actual evolutionary processes wanted to give it a try and some feedback?

The software can be found here: www.lexicon-labs.com

Thanks!
ahwilliams
Forum Neophyte

Re: New Evolution Software

Postby Natural ChemE on August 28th, 2011, 5:39 am 

ahwilliams,

Welcome to the forums!

Your program does look like a lot of fun. I don't suppose that the source code is up for grabs? Seems like something that'd be fun to tinker with.
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Re: New Evolution Software

Postby SciameriKen on August 31st, 2011, 9:17 am 

The program is a lot of fun :) Still a lot to figure out about it though - the actions and behaviors are unlabeled so I am confused how to know how to copy them from one create to another or what they even do?

One other feature - maybe its supposed to be this way I don't know -- but when I name a creature -- am I naming the species? One of my creatures replicated and all the new replicants lost the original species name that I gave it -- Shouldn't they keep that name with them?

Great game though
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Return to Science Fun