Battling a Monster: Strategies to consume hot peppers

Science fun for all. Science fairs, homemade experiments, amateur microscopy, comics, puzzles, videos, or anything else you'd like to share.

Battling a Monster: Strategies to consume hot peppers

Postby SciameriKen on June 30th, 2012, 10:50 am 

Greetings all!

Scientific Ameriken is happy to announce publication of our latest experiment, Battling a Monster. Here we attempt to survive consumption of the disasteriously hot scotch bonnet pepper.

Click Here: http://www.scientificameriken.com/cover_jun12.asp

to read this experiment and then come back to Science Chat Forum to discuss!
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Re: Battling a Monster: Strategies to consume hot peppers

Postby Keep_Relentless on June 30th, 2012, 11:00 am 

Disasterious? :P

Ahh this is nice. Reminds me of discovering Ashrita Furman (World record for most world records: 300+ broken in total, 144 held currently) and his retrospective comment on his world record attempt for most tobasco sauce consumed in 30 seconds!
At first, I was more amazed than panicked. But then it hit me. My lungs went into spasm. I kept trying to inhale, but no air was coming in. My friends were in shock. I was a little nervous but I didn't want to upset the guys so I pretended as if everything was fine. Mahesh asked, "Should I call 911?" I nonchalantly waved him off and mouthed a "no". The truth was that I had no idea when I would be able to breathe again.

There was nothing left to do but pray. I begged God not to let me die from drinking tobasco sauce - it would just be way too embarrassing! And sure enough, gratefully, several seconds later my lungs gradually began retaining some air. Good ole' polluted New York City oxygen never tasted so good! I was thankful and relieved.

Well, I had to admit, Garima was right. When I told her what happened, to her credit, she didn't say, "I told you so"! But she did insist that if I ever make an attempt in the future, I must have a doctor on hand with special oxygen equipment. She need not worry. I'm leaving this record to the pros. One close call with the hot stuff is enough for me. It's funny-I've broken records doing squat thrusts on the back of an elephant, and juggling underwater in a tank full of sharks. But that little bottle of tobasco sauce taught me an unforgettable lesson in humility!

Tell me, is there an apparent application of resistance to spicy food? Or just a great topic of conversation and light-heartedness?? :D
Keep_Relentless

Postby SciameriKen on June 30th, 2012, 11:26 am 

Hehe indeed there are applications - by building spice tolerance you can enjoy a whole new range of Thai, Chinese and Mexican foods as well as preparing one for entry into spicy food eating challenges!

On the serious side the pain receptor that capsaicin targets is also responsive to many other stimuli and there is research into using capsaicin for pain relief therapies.
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby Watson on June 30th, 2012, 12:31 pm 

I must have over done the tolerance for hot pepper and tabasco. I made a scotch bonnet sause and it was gone in no time and bottled sauses and tabasco don't last long either. I love tabasco straight, usually on a tablespoon. Not sure how much yo had to drink to cause a problem. (Dave's is stupid hot)
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Return to Science Fun