Tessellated I - my technical drawing, coloured artfully

Science fun for all. Science fairs, homemade experiments, amateur microscopy, comics, puzzles, videos, or anything else you'd like to share.

Tessellated I - my technical drawing, coloured artfully

Postby Peter Dow on December 25th, 2012, 1:42 pm 

View a larger scale version of Tessellated I

A tessellation of a capital "I" shape employing the colours of the spectrum which I created using Paint.NET the free image and photo editing software which runs on Windows.

The "I" Shape.
The "I" shape is square in proportions, with the vertical column one third the width of the square by design. The thickness of the base and top of the "I" are the same thickness and consequently have to be one quarter of the height of the square to tessellate in this precise fashion. The shape of the "I" I arrived at during consideration of one of my engineering design projects.

The Colours.
My use of the colours of the spectrum, half of the "I"s Red-Orange-Yellow and the other half Green-Blue-Purple, and the black lines to define the outline of the "I"s was directly inspired from a work of art I found on DeviantArt website, named "Colorful Tessellation" by ~TheShadowRider123, Cori Davis of the United States of America. This work of art is dedicated to Cori with my thanks for the inspiration her work gave me.

Using Paint.NET I was able to add what I would describe as a "metallic texture" to the colours, although the program function I used is called "Effects - Distort - Dent" by Paint.NET's menus.

This version of the work has my own watermark added.
Attachments
tessellated_I_500.jpg
Peter Dow

Tessellated I / H / 66% / Steel

Postby Peter Dow on December 29th, 2012, 8:05 pm 

Or rotate by 90 degrees to get "Tessellated H".

Reducing the colour saturation to 66% gives -

Tessellated I in Steel

View larger version of Tessellated I in Steel 1800 x 800

Representing a surface of "I"-shaped steel tiles or an embossed "I" tessellation pattern in a steel sheet. Produced using Paint.NET.

The "I" shape is of square proportions, the column of the I being one third of the width of the square and the top and the base one quarter of the height of the square.
Attachments
tessellated_I_steel_500.jpg
Tessellated I in Steel
tessellated_I_66sat_500.jpg
Tessellated I 66% colour saturation
tessellated_H_500.jpg
Tessellated H
Peter Dow

Return to Science Fun