What is the most quoted phrase of scientists?

Science fun for all. Science fairs, homemade experiments, amateur microscopy, comics, puzzles, videos, or anything else you'd like to share.

What is the most quoted phrase of scientists?

Postby Quantisierung on October 8th, 2013, 6:07 pm 

Every scientist for sure knows the phrase "eureka" by Archimedes. However, I've never heard that somebody uses it as an exclamation.

Actually, I think that the most common phrases that scientists say are related to curiosity.

"I am curious about..."
"That turns out to be curious"
etc.

What do you say?
Quantisierung

Re: What is the most quoted phrase of scientists?

Postby BioWizard on October 21st, 2013, 10:53 pm 

I find myself saying "Hmmmmm" and "Huh" quite a bit.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Obvious Leo on October 22nd, 2013, 7:26 am 

I've always been fascinated by the personalities and the biographical histories of the great geniuses of the past. Crazy Joe Kepler is one of my favourites, as is Michael Faraday. If one could sum up in a single word what drove these guys ever onwards then you've nailed it perfectly. Simple curiosity, or as professor Julius would have said "Why is it so?"

Regards Leo
Obvious Leo
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Watson on October 22nd, 2013, 8:42 am 

"You're not even wrong."

Wolfgang Pauli (1900-1958)
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby BadgerJelly on October 22nd, 2013, 11:40 am 

Watson wrote:"You're not even wrong."

Wolfgang Pauli (1900-1958)

Brilliant! XD
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Quantisierung on October 22nd, 2013, 2:59 pm 

Despite I know the remarkable work of Pauli in the description of the chemical bond, I didn't know his phrase.

Besides, maybe Biowizard is right, thinking about it, the most common expression I have heard is "HMM" or "UUUHH" hehehe, not only do young scientists say it but professors also do so.
Quantisierung

Postby Gregorygregg1 on October 22nd, 2013, 11:18 pm 

Ha...ha ha ha...ha ha ha ha ha ha, etc.
Gregorygregg1
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on October 23rd, 2013, 10:57 am 

My all time favorite in addition to the already mentioned Eureka!, would have to be Einstein's definition of "insanity": Or, "someone doing the exact same thing over and over again and then expecting a different result"

I again personally believe that this is also the definition of "stupid".....
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on October 23rd, 2013, 11:20 am 

Or for example: "We are the murder capitol of the country!" "We need even tougher gun control laws here in Chicago!"(duh)
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby Quantisierung on October 23rd, 2013, 6:09 pm 

Oh That's true, Einstein's phrases are often used, like that one that Ronjanec said and also "God does not play dice", they are subtle.

Hehehe, for the other one about Chicago, well, it is hilarious but it is not scientific hehe.
Quantisierung

Postby ronjanec on October 24th, 2013, 12:19 am 

No, it is not scientific Q, but it is unfortunately an example of a famous scientist's logic being shown to be true, at least here in my home town;

Chicago has possibly the strictest gun laws in the country, and Chicago is again the murder capitol of the US. The "solution" to this terrible problem? Even stricter gun laws say our fearless "leaders", over and over and over again. And if that doesn't work? You guessed it! Even stricter gun laws of course!

Of course, the gangbangers who commit most of the murders here in Chicago don't obey the gun laws in the first place, but that obviously does not stop our fearless "Leaders" from using the same crazy or stupid "logic" to try to stop the murders here.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby Quantisierung on October 24th, 2013, 1:19 pm 

Hehe, I got it, doing the same thing and expecting different results.
Quantisierung

Bobcat liked this post

Postby ronjanec on October 24th, 2013, 3:09 pm 

Quantisierung wrote:Hehe, I got it, doing the same thing and expecting different results.

Yeah Q, I may talk like a real big shot here, and possibly imply that I am actually "above" ever doing the same kind of thing, but I have to admit that I am also guilty of pretty much doing the exact same thing every year on the golf course, and then of course somehow expecting "a different result"(sob)

Well, I guess there is always next year right?
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby Delta4Exile on December 9th, 2013, 6:18 pm 

Dunno for sure, but my most quoted is "I don't know." :)
Delta4Exile
Banned User

Location: Springfield, Missouri, Earth, Sol system, unfashionable western spiral arm of the Milky Way galaxy
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Obvious Leo on December 9th, 2013, 6:56 pm 

Here's one of Einstein's that isn't quoted anywhere near often enough.

"The more successful quantum mechanics is, the more ridiculous it looks"

Regards Leo
Obvious Leo
Resident Member

Quantisierung liked this post

Postby Delta4Exile on December 9th, 2013, 8:45 pm 

Love the story about Einstein vs a professor (even if it wasn't really Einstein as seems the general consensus.)

http://www.skeptically.org/logicalthreads/id8.html

"Did God create everything that exists? Does evil exist? Did God create evil?

A University professor at a well known institution of higher learning challenged his students with this question. "Did God create everything that exists?"

A student bravely replied, "Yes he did!"

"God created everything?" The professor asked.

"Yes sir, he certainly did," the student replied.

The professor answered, "If God created everything; then God created evil. And, since evil exists, and according to the principle that our works define who we are, then we can assume God is evil."

The student became quiet and did not respond to the professor's hypothetical definition.. The professor, quite pleased with himself, boasted to the students that he had proven once more that the Christian faith was a myth.

Another student raised his hand and said, "May I ask you a question,

Professor?" "Of course", replied the professor.

The student stood up and asked, "Professor does cold exist?"

"What kind of question is this? Of course it exists. Have you never been cold?"

The other students snickered at the young man's question.

The young man replied, "In fact sir, cold does not exist. According to the laws of physics, what we consider cold is in reality the absence of heat. Everybody or object is susceptible to study when it has or transmits energy, and heat is what makes a body or matter have or transmit energy. Absolute zero (-460 F) is the total absence of heat; and all matter becomes inert and incapable of reaction at that temperature. Cold does not exist. We have created this word to describe how we feel if we have no heat." The student continued, "Professor, does darkness exist?"

The professor responded, "Of course it does."

The student replied, "Once again you are wrong sir, darkness does not exist either. Darkness is in reality the absence of light. Light we can study, but not darkness. In fact, we can use Newton's prism to break white light into many colors and study the various wavelengths of each color. You cannot measure darkness. A simple ray of light can break into a world of darkness and illuminate it. How can you know how dark a certain space is? You measure the amount of light present. Isn't this correct? Darkness is a term used by man to describe what happens when there is no light present." Finally the young man asked the professor, "Sir, does evil exist?"

Now uncertain, the professor responded, "Of course, as I have already said. We see it everyday. It is in the daily examples of man's inhumanity to man. It is in the multitude of crime and violence everywhere in the world. These manifestations are nothing else but evil.

To this the student replied, "Evil does not exist, sir, or at least it does not exist unto itself. Evil is simply the absence of God. It is just like darkness and cold, a word that man has created to describe the absence of God. God did not create evil. Evil is the result of what happens when man does not have God's love present in his heart. It's like the cold that comes when there is no heat, or the darkness that comes when there is no light."

The professor sat down.

The young man's name -- Albert Einstein"

Every time I go swimming and the pool's cold, I remind myself of this. "It isn't cold. It just isn't very warm." :)
Delta4Exile
Banned User

Location: Springfield, Missouri, Earth, Sol system, unfashionable western spiral arm of the Milky Way galaxy
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Rilx on December 10th, 2013, 6:05 am 

I don't know how much this is quoted (at least Thomas Kuhn has) but I like it:

“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.”
― Max Planck, Scientific Autobiography and Other Papers

There's also a paraphrase: "Science advances one funeral at a time."
Rilx

Postby Rilx on December 10th, 2013, 6:11 am 

This concerns phenomenal interpretations of quantum mechanics. Richard Feynman has used it but he didn't invent it, AFAIK.

"Shut up and calculate!"
Rilx

Postby Obvious Leo on December 10th, 2013, 6:25 am 

I hadn't seen the quote from Planck before but I love it. "Shut up and calculate" is pretty much the mantra of modern physics, which is based on the philosophy of Niels Bohr, who famously said. "The goal of physics is not to tell us what the universe is but merely to determine what we can meaningfully say about it."

A rather sterile philosophy, in my view.

Regards Leo
Obvious Leo
Resident Member

Postby safeleo on April 4th, 2014, 12:28 pm 

The phrases I most hear in the lab are long streams of cussing and assertions of selling my kidneys, because filtering pee by myself has got to be easier than this. XD
safeleo

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby CanadysPeak on April 4th, 2014, 12:47 pm 

Quantisierung » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:07 pm wrote:Every scientist for sure knows the phrase "eureka" by Archimedes. However, I've never heard that somebody uses it as an exclamation.

Actually, I think that the most common phrases that scientists say are related to curiosity.

"I am curious about..."
"That turns out to be curious"
etc.

What do you say?

I'm fond of saying, "Well, it didn't work, but that's when I learn the most." I say this a lot.
CanadysPeak
Resident Expert

Postby phyti on April 4th, 2014, 3:37 pm 

It's more complicated than we originally thought.
phyti

Postby BioWizard on April 4th, 2014, 3:47 pm 

phyti » 04 Apr 2014 03:37 pm wrote:It's more complicated than we originally thought.

I believe that's more common amongst scientists below the age of 30 :)
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Paradox on April 4th, 2014, 4:17 pm 

"God does build in straight lines” Albert Einstein.

If you see a straight line structure outside of Earth it was created by life.

“The greatest truth that anyone can know is that they exist, everything else falls under that.” Paradox.
Paradox
Banned User

Postby Paradox on April 4th, 2014, 4:18 pm 

Correction: "God doesn’t built in straight lines"
Paradox
Banned User

Postby Paradox on April 5th, 2014, 4:25 pm 

Einstein once described parts of quantum theory as “Spooky action at a distance” That was also true for earlier scientists trying to imagine the actual picture of atomic particles. It can’t been done because of the duality of these particles behaving like both waves and particles. It can only be surmised that they are there by their interaction with each other, but not seen as a stationary object with an exact structure. Since then, that has been the only way to study them. That is, “at a distance" I would say Einstein was right on with the term “Spooky"
Paradox
Banned User

Postby Paradox on April 5th, 2014, 6:03 pm 

Delta4Exile » December 9th, 2013, 8:45 pm wrote:Love the story about Einstein vs a professor (even if it wasn't really Einstein as seems the general consensus.)

http://www.skeptically.org/logicalthreads/id8.html

"Did God create everything that exists? Does evil exist? Did God create evil?

A University professor at a well known institution of higher learning challenged his students with this question. "Did God create everything that exists?"

A student bravely replied, "Yes he did!"

"God created everything?" The professor asked.

"Yes sir, he certainly did," the student replied.

The professor answered, "If God created everything; then God created evil. And, since evil exists, and according to the principle that our works define who we are, then we can assume God is evil."

The student became quiet and did not respond to the professor's hypothetical definition.. The professor, quite pleased with himself, boasted to the students that he had proven once more that the Christian faith was a myth.

Another student raised his hand and said, "May I ask you a question,

Professor?" "Of course", replied the professor.

The student stood up and asked, "Professor does cold exist?"

"What kind of question is this? Of course it exists. Have you never been cold?"

The other students snickered at the young man's question.

The young man replied, "In fact sir, cold does not exist. According to the laws of physics, what we consider cold is in reality the absence of heat. Everybody or object is susceptible to study when it has or transmits energy, and heat is what makes a body or matter have or transmit energy. Absolute zero (-460 F) is the total absence of heat; and all matter becomes inert and incapable of reaction at that temperature. Cold does not exist. We have created this word to describe how we feel if we have no heat." The student continued, "Professor, does darkness exist?"

The professor responded, "Of course it does."

The student replied, "Once again you are wrong sir, darkness does not exist either. Darkness is in reality the absence of light. Light we can study, but not darkness. In fact, we can use Newton's prism to break white light into many colors and study the various wavelengths of each color. You cannot measure darkness. A simple ray of light can break into a world of darkness and illuminate it. How can you know how dark a certain space is? You measure the amount of light present. Isn't this correct? Darkness is a term used by man to describe what happens when there is no light present." Finally the young man asked the professor, "Sir, does evil exist?"

Now uncertain, the professor responded, "Of course, as I have already said. We see it everyday. It is in the daily examples of man's inhumanity to man. It is in the multitude of crime and violence everywhere in the world. These manifestations are nothing else but evil.

To this the student replied, "Evil does not exist, sir, or at least it does not exist unto itself. Evil is simply the absence of God. It is just like darkness and cold, a word that man has created to describe the absence of God. God did not create evil. Evil is the result of what happens when man does not have God's love present in his heart. It's like the cold that comes when there is no heat, or the darkness that comes when there is no light."

The professor sat down.

The young man's name -- Albert Einstein"

Every time I go swimming and the pool's cold, I remind myself of this. "It isn't cold. It just isn't very warm." :)

A science teacher asked a student “What keeps the earth in its place in our solar system?”
The student replied “A giant turtle is holding the earth up in its position”
Then the teacher asked “Well then whats holding up the turtle?”
The student replied “Another turtle.”
Then the teacher now getting annoyed ask “Well whats holding up that turtle?"
The student replied “ITS TURTLES ALL THE WAY!

Paradox
Paradox
Banned User

Postby Braininvat on April 13th, 2014, 1:33 pm 

"The effort to understand the universe is one of the very few things that lifts human life above the level of farce, and gives it some of the grace of tragedy."

--Steven Weinberg, from "The First Three Minutes"
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Hendrick Laursen on May 7th, 2014, 8:05 am 

"Hell, where did it go wrong again?!!"
Hendrick Laursen

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Cosmo on December 1st, 2014, 2:03 pm 

Delta4Exile » December 9th, 2013, 6:18 pm wrote:Dunno for sure, but my most quoted is "I don't know." :)

I love saying "I don't know."
It's usually followed by a dash to the computer to hunt for the answer.

One of my most frequently blurted exclamations is: Holy shitballs!
Cosmo

Next

Return to Science Fun