The Need for Speed: A Method to Boost 5K Time

Science fun for all. Science fairs, homemade experiments, amateur microscopy, comics, puzzles, videos, or anything else you'd like to share.

The Need for Speed: A Method to Boost 5K Time

Postby SciameriKen on August 30th, 2014, 11:34 pm 

Greetings all - I am happy to announce I finally got off the couch and did an experiment and one that involved getting off the couch and running! Check out my latest experiment, The Need for Speed: A Method to Boost 5K Time. In this experiment, I use a training strategy called "FartLekking", a style that incorporates random sprinting.

Did it work? Check it out here: http://www.scientificameriken.com/cover_aug14.asp
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Natural ChemE liked this post

Re: The Need for Speed: A Method to Boost 5K Time

Postby BioWizard on August 30th, 2014, 11:51 pm 

Yes! I got back to running this past week. Ran my third 5K today and all I could think of was "where did all my speed go and how can I get it back quick?" Maybe you have the answers for me. My plan was to just do 3-5 5Ks per week until I get back my speed, then go back to adding distance after that (which is how I did it the first time around).
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby SciameriKen on September 1st, 2014, 10:33 pm 

BioWizard » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:51 am wrote:Yes! I got back to running this past week. Ran my third 5K today and all I could think of was "where did all my speed go and how can I get it back quick?" Maybe you have the answers for me. My plan was to just do 3-5 5Ks per week until I get back my speed, then go back to adding distance after that (which is how I did it the first time around).

Nice! Yeah those summers you go through really kill the 5K drive :) I think without question the random sprints help cut the time away. What's tough about my "n of 1" experiments is doing proper controls - in this case it would have been interesting if I ran a 5K every 2 days without the sprints so I can tell if its the sprints doing it, or just the every 2 day exercise schedule. I don't know if I ever used such a schedule to exercise in preparation for any of the 5K shown on my list - still though - setting a new PR by over a minute after just 1 month of training is pretty solid in my book :D
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby BioWizard on September 2nd, 2014, 2:43 pm 

This is not the first time I hear about the benefit of the sprints. Somebody told me it's a lot better to do sprint intervals (if you're trying to gain speed) than do the whole run at the same pace (even if it ends up taking you more time on the intervals). Apparently, those all out sprints pack your muscles with mitos or something.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby dlorde on September 2nd, 2014, 6:22 pm 

I added a couple of sprints to my 5K yesterday and pulled a hamstring on the second (just a twinge, not a tear).

Be careful out there!
dlorde

SciameriKen liked this post

Return to Science Fun