Turmeric prevents fear being stored in the brain

Science fun for all. Science fairs, homemade experiments, amateur microscopy, comics, puzzles, videos, or anything else you'd like to share.

Turmeric prevents fear being stored in the brain

Postby RamyaS on April 7th, 2015, 5:15 am 

A spice commonly used in curry could help erase bad memories, according to a study.Curcumin, a bright-yellow compound found in the root of the Indian spice turmeric, prevented new fear memories being stored in the brain, and also removed pre-existing fear memories, researchers found.It is hoped that the findings will help develop treatments for people suffering with psychological disorders.

Psychologists from The City University of New York trained rats to become scared when they heard a particular sound. Scientists assumed the creatures were frightened when they froze.Hours later, when the same sound was played to the rats, those who had been given ordinary food froze.Yet the rats fed the curcumin-rich diet didn’t freeze, suggesting their fearful memories had been erased.

Professor Glenn Schafe, who led the study, said: ‘This suggests that people suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder and other psychological disorders that are characterised by fearful memories may benefit substantially from a curcumin-enriched diet.’Memories are formed in the brain as new connections between neurons.They are initially fragile, but gradually stabilise in the brain as they are put into long-term storage - a process known as consolidation.
RamyaS
Forum Neophyte

Sq-Cubicle-Pi liked this post

Re: Turmeric prevents fear being stored in the brain

Postby BioWizard on April 7th, 2015, 6:25 am 

Maybe curcumin is just a good anti-freeze agent? :]
Joking aside, this is a very cool find. I wonder what prompted them to test curcumin for this phenomenon. You didn't include a link.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)
RamyaS liked this post

Postby Dave_C on April 7th, 2015, 7:19 am 

Dave_C

Postby BioWizard on April 7th, 2015, 8:04 am 

Thanks DC. My point was that it's generally good posting practice to include reference links to reposted press releases :]
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Postby Darby on April 7th, 2015, 10:12 am 

The Daily Mail website in the link didn't do a very good job of including source links either.

I was able to ferret out some abstract linkage to a more reputable source on the subject ...

http://www.nature.com/npp/journal/v40/n ... 4315a.html

Just from reading the abstract, I'm inclined to assume that 1.5% curcumin represents a pretty stupendous amount of turmeric to consume on a daily basis, and I dont want to guess what effect it had on people's stool samples. Heck, that's probably a high enough dose that it'd tint your skin and the whites of your eyes after a while, in the same way some caucasian bodybuilders deliberately overdose on betacarotene before a competition do ... it looks ok from a distance on a stage, but really weird up close in person, trust me. Despite any confirmed benefits, it doesn't seem like a practical rate of intake.

On a related note, I found a patent application by CUNY RF for curcumin derivative efficacy vs altheimers.
Darby

BioWizard liked this post

Postby BioWizard on April 7th, 2015, 5:00 pm 

According to the article, they used the high amount due to low bioavailability of the compound. Meaning its poorly absorbed through the oral route. Unfortunately, they didn't show what levels it reached in the plasma.

Fortunately, the bioavailability of a compound can sometimes be improved, if it's thought that it would make a very good drug. That's what medicinal chemists are for.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Postby RamyaS on April 8th, 2015, 12:03 am 

Sorry sir i forgot to add link.Thank you D C for your link.
RamyaS
Forum Neophyte

Return to Science Fun