seat of the pants engineering.

Science fun for all. Science fairs, homemade experiments, amateur microscopy, comics, puzzles, videos, or anything else you'd like to share.

seat of the pants engineering.

Postby curiosity on June 2nd, 2015, 6:37 am 

Task.....
Build a free standing structure, that is six feet tall and is topped with a flag. You will be allowed ten minutes in total to concieve then build the structure.

The building materials are, A4 size sheets of paper and a reel of parcel tape . The structure must not be taped to the floor or ceiling, nor must it lean against the wall, you have no tools apart from a felt tipped pen . The structure must remain standing for at least one minute after completion.
Having successfully completed the task myself, I would be very interested in knowing how others would have approached the problem. ( Although my own method worked, surely there must be other ways of doing it ???)

Regards, Graham.
curiosity

Re: seat of the pants engineering.

Postby someguy1 on June 2nd, 2015, 11:36 am 

curiosity » June 2nd, 2015, 4:37 am wrote:Having successfully completed the task myself ...

I'd hire you to do it.
someguy1

Re: Cone Head Thinking

Postby Faradave on June 2nd, 2015, 12:04 pm 

Make several cone tubes by rolling each paper about its long axis and taping, slightly larger opening at base (thumb size) than at top (pinky size). Assemble these into three sufficiently long rods by inserting larger ends onto smaller ends. Tape the narrow ends of the rods to make a tripod 6' tall (also tape flag there). Triangle base should be stable with sides about 2'. Apply a tension ring of tape about half way up to keep it from splaying.

Tripod.png
Last edited by Faradave on June 2nd, 2015, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faradave

Postby curiosity on June 2nd, 2015, 12:08 pm 

I'd hire you to do it.

Ha, ha, good answer.
But, on a serious note (and without revealing how I did it) I really would like to know if there are other ways that it could be done within the time constraint.
My own method was pretty crude, but it worked and was still standing half an hour after completion.

Regards,
Graham.
curiosity

Postby curiosity on June 2nd, 2015, 12:12 pm 

Youre sort of on the right track Faradave, but I think you would be struggling to complete it in ten minutes.
The clue is.....No one said it needed to look pretty.

Regards Graham.
curiosity

Re: Mass Production

Postby Faradave on June 2nd, 2015, 12:30 pm 

Mass production of the same simple construction unit will prevail. Units could be made by simply rolling and taping single sheets of paper to standard diameter (say the marking pen), then pulling the inside out to lengthen the tube and produce a narrow end. It takes only a few seconds each (figure on 24) and simplicity to assemble. Tear pieces of tape for the tubes in advance.

Rod.png

I'd finish with beauty, an extra foot of height (for dominance) and time to spare. It would also be the most stable (to wind or quake) of all the structures completed.
Faradave

Postby curiosity on June 2nd, 2015, 1:36 pm 

A picture paints a thousand words !" Apart from a slight difference concerning the construction of the legs, it seems that we have used the same concept Faradave.
However, that leaves you in the same boat as me, I'm now asking myself.... Could I have done it better?
I'm struggling to find an alternative solution, let alone a simpler one. How about you?
curiosity

Re: Efficiency vs. Stability

Postby Faradave on June 2nd, 2015, 2:09 pm 

You could make a single, vertical flag pole, with a small tripod supporting it below. It would be faster and use less material (figure 11-14 tubes) but less stable.

Flag Pole.png
Faradave

Postby curiosity on June 2nd, 2015, 3:00 pm 

Well....It seems that plan "A" remains the best option, none of the other competitors in the competition that I took part in, managed to reach a height above two feet.
So... unless some geek can devise a better concept I will smoke that cigar and chalk the mission up as completed. ( "I do hope I'm not going to end up with egg on my face!")

Regards Graham.
curiosity

Postby curiosity on June 2nd, 2015, 3:16 pm 

Apologies Faradave.... Ive had a bit of a glitch with my PC, The text has been jumping all over the screen and even disappearing altogether,For some reason even the pages (or parts of them) have been changing without me touching the mouse or keyboard, It has been very difficult for me to read or send messages, but thankfully a re'start seems to have resolved the problem. If I have seemed rather incoherrent it is down to the PC not my brain, At least I hope so HA HA.

Regards,Graham.
curiosity

Postby BadgerJelly on June 2nd, 2015, 3:22 pm 

Just stack up reams of paper. Just a case of having enough paper
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Dave_Oblad liked this post

Postby curiosity on June 2nd, 2015, 4:47 pm 

Nice one Badgerjelly.....Unfortunately the supply of paper was rather limited, but it just goes to show that there is more than one way to skin a cat.
curiosity

Return to Science Fun