Are astronomers required to study history?

Science fun for all. Science fairs, homemade experiments, amateur microscopy, comics, puzzles, videos, or anything else you'd like to share.

Are astronomers required to study history?

Postby vivian maxine on August 20th, 2015, 3:04 pm 

Please let me share this spirit-lifter that I experienced today. It might bring a smile. It did to me. I was walking through Saks Fifth Avenue store on my way out and happened through a department where the Associate had tables and chairs loaded with ancient books. Saks had bought them from a used book store to be used as decorations. You all have no doubt seen this done.

As always with books, I was hooked before I opened one. While I was browsing, the Associate started showing me some others. One was a first edition of "Ancient History". By today's standards, not very ancient as it started with Rome and Egypt but was then. It was published in 1909.

And here is what brought the smile. In the back of the book, the student had written "School room on Mars studying astronomy." Both the Associate and I were sure we had a budding scientist there who was quite frustrated at having to study about Rome and Egypt.

The student's name was in the book and I'm sorry I forgot to write it down. Would be fun to know if he is still with us. I doubt a 1909 book would still be in the classroom by the twenties or thirties. So, he likely Is not living now.

She had all kinds of old books. There was a Geology book I'd like to have had. Published in 1929. Lots of others but no sense in writing an epistle here. Just hoped you'd appreciate the mood of this young student who wanted to be an astronomer, not a historian.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: Are astronomers required to study history?

Postby Dave_Oblad on August 20th, 2015, 3:45 pm 

Hi Viv,

The study of Stars is the study of History...lol.

Bestest to ya,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: Are astronomers required to study history?

Postby vivian maxine on August 20th, 2015, 3:54 pm 

Quite true, Dave, and that really is ancient history.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Return to Science Fun