Better outcomes for tuckers versus non-tuckers

Science fun for all. Science fairs, homemade experiments, amateur microscopy, comics, puzzles, videos, or anything else you'd like to share.

Better outcomes for tuckers versus non-tuckers

Postby SciameriKen on September 27th, 2015, 9:48 am 

http://www.tuckeffect.com/power-of-tuck

These dang flawed industry studies!

Fruit of the Loom recently funded a study asking 1000 men about the quality of their lives in relation to five of life’s fundamental pillars — happiness, optimism, relationships, social status and income. Then, we asked them if they tucked. In each of these topics, men who tuck came out on top of those who don’t. It’s 5 seconds per day. It will change your life. And it’s called the Tuck Effect.

I for one believe the data from this study does not support their conclusion that 5 seconds to tuck your shirt in will lead to improvement in the "five pillars". As "tuckers" have significantly higher income it is my opinion that the income levels are dictating the other aspects of their lives, including whether the person tucks or not. Money doesn't buy you happiness, but on average it does :)

I think a better study would be to take 1000 people in relatively the same level socially, economical, romantically, etc and have half of them tuck - see where they end up. Now that is science!
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

BioWizard liked this post

Re: Better outcomes for tuckers versus non-tuckers

Postby BioWizard on September 27th, 2015, 10:45 am 

Another causation vs correlation fail.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Watson on September 27th, 2015, 1:31 pm 

Come up with a stupid idea +
Make it sound somewhat serious +
Promote the heck out of the more plausible idea +

******The Gimmick Effect********
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby Braininvat on September 27th, 2015, 3:33 pm 

"Fruit of the Loom recently funded a study..."

That's where I stopped reading.

Cultural context seems important....if you start a surf shop in Huntington beach, you might want to keep untucked. If you are applying for a bank position, tucking seems advisable.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Dave_Oblad on September 28th, 2015, 5:28 am 

Hi all,

You would probably find the same correlations with those that have Tattoos or Facial Piercings or Blue Hair. People that conform to a specific image do better when in the company of those that expect that image. How we present ourselves sends a message to others. The right message to the right crowd leads to acceptance and thus success.

Friday morning, a homeless guy came into the quickie market (Circle-K) and asked for the key to the restroom. He was refused by the cashier. Why? He was dirty. When I left with my Pepsi, I noticed him pissing on the side of the store. That'll learn them...lol.

Regards,
Dave :^)

Ps. Oh looky.. I made Resident Member.. yea me...lol.
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)
SciameriKen liked this post

Postby someguy1 on September 28th, 2015, 6:56 pm 

Oh, tucking your SHIRT! I spent a lot of time in San Francisco. Tucking is something else entirely.
someguy1

Postby Braininvat on September 28th, 2015, 7:42 pm 

(_¥_)
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby BioWizard on September 28th, 2015, 7:56 pm 

Dave_Oblad » 28 Sep 2015 04:28 am wrote:Hi all,

You would probably find the same correlations with those that have Tattoos or Facial Piercings or Blue Hair. People that conform to a specific image do better when in the company of those that expect that image. How we present ourselves sends a message to others. The right message to the right crowd leads to acceptance and thus success.

Friday morning, a homeless guy came into the quickie market (Circle-K) and asked for the key to the restroom. He was refused by the cashier. Why? He was dirty. When I left with my Pepsi, I noticed him pissing on the side of the store. That'll learn them...lol.

Regards,
Dave :^)

Ps. Oh looky.. I made Resident Member.. yea me...lol.

You made me realize a point I was overlooking before. The effect of image on others, and how that can alter their perceptions and reactions to you, and consequently your course of events and overall outcome. Not to mention the effect of self image on the psyche, behavior, and even physiology. Maybe we were too quick to dismiss wholesale (and I admit I still haven't read the details of the study). How millennial of us ;)

I remember reading a study about a type of bird where the more verile males boast higher levels of testosterone, grow a redder chest, and attract more females. By painting the chest of second grade males red, the testosterone levels of those males shot up and they started getting preferential treatment by the females.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to Science Fun