What is Sound ?

Science fun for all. Science fairs, homemade experiments, amateur microscopy, comics, puzzles, videos, or anything else you'd like to share.

What is Sound ?

Postby Integza on December 13th, 2015, 2:27 pm 

(This video has Subtitles)

In this video i try to make an approachable explanation of what is sound.

Because is something so fundamental in our lifes, deserves to be understanded in physical terms but don't worry, this is a simplified version.

First is explained how sound is a vibration and a wave, then is approached a very important property of sound, Frequency.I also talk about the speed of sound and how it changes with the medium in wich it propagates.In the end i mention some cool applications of sound like breaking glasses, visualizing sound and levitating small objects.

Integza
Forum Neophyte
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 16 Nov 2015


Re: What is Sound ?

Postby Watson on December 13th, 2015, 3:20 pm 

Even for elementary kids this is way to juvenile to be of any value. Please post elsewhere.
User avatar
Watson
Resident Member
 
Posts: 4619
Joined: 19 Apr 2009
Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.


Re: What is Sound ?

Postby Integza on December 13th, 2015, 3:36 pm 

Actually this video was made to participate in a competition where the goal is to explain concepts to kids, this year the concept is Sound. I'm sorry if you feel that way.
Integza
Forum Neophyte
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 16 Nov 2015


Re: What is Sound ?

Postby Watson on December 13th, 2015, 6:02 pm 

Sorry it seemed like you were trolling for subscribers. Regardless the why, or who it was made for, I can not think of a reason you need share it with us, adults.
User avatar
Watson
Resident Member
 
Posts: 4619
Joined: 19 Apr 2009
Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.


Re: What is Sound ?

Postby Integza on December 13th, 2015, 6:07 pm 

I share it here because in the competition the video will be scanned by scientists to see if they are ok in terms of scientific knowledge, so i thought you guys could make constructive critics so i can improve the video until January.
Integza
Forum Neophyte
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 16 Nov 2015


Re: What is Sound ?

Postby Watson on December 13th, 2015, 7:57 pm 

Well that never was mentioned in any of the 3 initial posts. If it is a serious competition, then take it seriously. From the science I did see, you have the abilities to do a descent video. Just leave the attempt at comedy out of it. It is annoying, and hard to take anything else you say seriously.
User avatar
Watson
Resident Member
 
Posts: 4619
Joined: 19 Apr 2009
Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.


Re: What is Sound ?

Postby Integza on December 13th, 2015, 8:32 pm 

I guessed the best way to get those kids votes was to make them laugh while teaching something but i see your point, thanks for the advice!
Integza
Forum Neophyte
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 16 Nov 2015


Re: What is Sound ?

Postby Watson on December 13th, 2015, 9:42 pm 

You had it backwards. Get the votes by teaching the kids something, and if you get a laugh while teaching, great. Just keep it relevant to the point you are making. So, good luck.
User avatar
Watson
Resident Member
 
Posts: 4619
Joined: 19 Apr 2009
Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.


Re: What is Sound ?

Postby BioWizard on December 13th, 2015, 10:23 pm 

Ok, so we know the video doesn't work on grouchy old men :]
Does it work on kids? I suppose only kids can tell us. What's the target age range?

I didn't find anything wrong with the science, and I thought your overall approach was fairly decent. Though I don't have specific comments on how to improve on it at the moment. I think the comedy may be helpful for holding the kids' attention. Although I suspect some of your jokes may go over their heads. So maybe start with simplifying some of your jokes? (ex wikipedia man)
User avatar
BioWizard
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 12763
Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Location: United States
Blog: View Blog (3)
scottchat liked this post


Re: What is Sound ?

Postby Integza on December 14th, 2015, 9:21 am 

BioWizard » December 13th, 2015, 10:23 pm wrote:Ok, so we know the video doesn't work on grouchy old men :]
Does it work on kids? I suppose only kids can tell us. What's the target age range?

I didn't find anything wrong with the science, and I thought your overall approach was fairly decent. Though I don't have specific comments on how to improve on it at the moment. I think the comedy may be helpful for holding the kids' attention. Although I suspect some of your jokes may go over their heads. So maybe start with simplifying some of your jokes? (ex wikipedia man)


You got me there, i was thinking about removing the wiki man part and focus more on the animations, thanks for the feedback.
Integza
Forum Neophyte
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 16 Nov 2015


Re: What is Sound ?

Postby Integza on December 14th, 2015, 9:23 am 

Watson » December 13th, 2015, 9:42 pm wrote:You had it backwards. Get the votes by teaching the kids something, and if you get a laugh while teaching, great. Just keep it relevant to the point you are making. So, good luck.


I agree with you, what is important is to teach, everything else is secondary, i will cut on the jokes. Thanks for the input.
Integza
Forum Neophyte
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 16 Nov 2015


Re: What is Sound ?

Postby Braininvat on December 14th, 2015, 11:19 am 

I found this amusing, with a good coverage of basic acoustic concepts, and the jokes were good. I wouldn't cut back on the humor, Joel, I think it's just right for medium-sized kids (ages 7-10, maybe). I especially liked your explanation of why sound has different speed in different media - that's something that puzzles kids. Maybe throw in the classic example of Native Americans putting their ears on railroad rails, to hear the sound of a distant buffalo herd? Wikipedia Man might have something about that. :-)
User avatar
Braininvat
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 6799
Joined: 21 Jan 2014
Location: Black Hills
Integza liked this post


Re: What is Sound ?

Postby Integza on December 14th, 2015, 11:27 am 

Braininvat » December 14th, 2015, 11:19 am wrote:I found this amusing, with a good coverage of basic acoustic concepts, and the jokes were good. I wouldn't cut back on the humor, Joel, I think it's just right for medium-sized kids (ages 7-10, maybe). I especially liked your explanation of why sound has different speed in different media - that's something that puzzles kids. Maybe throw in the classic example of Native Americans putting their ears on railroad rails, to hear the sound of a distant buffalo herd? Wikipedia Man might have something about that. :-)


Thanks for that :D I'm pleased to know someone thinks the humour might have a positive impact in the explanation, the Native Americans example would be a good way to approach the subject because is something they would be able to sympathize with.
Integza
Forum Neophyte
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 16 Nov 2015


Re: What is Sound ?

Postby BioWizard on December 14th, 2015, 2:46 pm 

I too, thought (and said) that the humor is a good component of your presentation. And to be clear, I recommended that it be tuned it a little - not yanked out altogether.
User avatar
BioWizard
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 12763
Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Location: United States
Blog: View Blog (3)


Re: What is Sound ?

Postby Integza on December 14th, 2015, 2:51 pm 

BioWizard » December 14th, 2015, 2:46 pm wrote:I too, thought (and said) that the humor is a good component of your presentation. And to be clear, I recommended that it be tuned it a little - not yanked out altogether.

Oh sorry if it seemed i was implying that you sad that, i understood what you meant and i was thinking of removing the WikiMan part anyway because the time limit in the competition is 5 minutes what means i have to cut something out.
Integza
Forum Neophyte
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 16 Nov 2015


Re: What is Sound ?

Postby Watson on December 14th, 2015, 4:28 pm 

Well I did say,'you have the abilities to do a descent video.' My objection to the humor part was that it could distract the attention of the young viewers, to a point that they miss the science that follows, especially if seen in a group setting. And I didn't say get rid of it. I said keep it relevant. Get the kids attention and keeping it is a challenge in most cases. Don't interrupt yourself and distract their attention with a cave man throwing a big boulder. Just have a small bird land on a huge rock, and the rock falls and the surprised bird flies away, and back to science. Lite humor, minimal distraction.

Just my carefree, youthful opinion.
User avatar
Watson
Resident Member
 
Posts: 4619
Joined: 19 Apr 2009
Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.


Re: What is Sound ?

Postby Integza on December 14th, 2015, 4:33 pm 

Watson » December 14th, 2015, 4:28 pm wrote:Well I did say,'you have the abilities to do a descent video.' My objection to the humor part was that it could distract the attention of the young viewers, to a point that they miss the science that follows, especially if seen in a group setting. And I didn't say get rid of it. I said keep it relevant. Get the kids attention and keeping it is a challenge in most cases. Don't interrupt yourself and distract their attention with a cave man throwing a big boulder. Just have a small bird land on a huge rock, and the rock falls and the surprised bird flies away, and back to science. Lite humor, minimal distraction.

Just my carefree, youthful opinion.


I see, you guys are being very helpful :D
Integza
Forum Neophyte
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 16 Nov 2015


Re: What is Sound ?

Postby Braininvat on December 14th, 2015, 8:34 pm 

Just my carefree, youthful opinion.


Heh, heh. What's the old saying, "Dying is easy, comedy is hard."
User avatar
Braininvat
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 6799
Joined: 21 Jan 2014
Location: Black Hills
Integza liked this post


Re: What is Sound ?

Postby zetreque on December 17th, 2015, 7:15 pm 

LOL
I went to watch this video and I had no sound. My sound wasn't turned off though so I thought it was normal. Turns out I had only flash player muted in my sound mixer.

My opinion is that this has way too much yadda yadda yadda. I like people to get straight to the point. I know this kind of video is appealing to the majority of idiots out there however so who knows. I think this video might work for people who could care less about science and reach that audience though.

The best DIY videos are very brief and to the point.

If I were looking up videos about sound to learn about it, this is a video I wouldn't make it past the first 10 seconds before moving on. It all depends on your audience and who you are trying to reach. If you are looking to reach people who might have an initial interest I would make the first 10 seconds count to get them drawn right into the concept. If you are looking to reach people who are typical dummies, this will probably work.

Having just taken a video class and having hung out with a famous professional screen writer at my college this past semester I can tell you that professionals make every second count. Every single frame, and every second of audio is done on purpose to contribute to the video. There is absolutely no fluff. If there is any part of the video you don't like. Get rid of it. Only include stuff that works and is meaningful.
User avatar
zetreque
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 3663
Joined: 30 Dec 2007
Location: Paradise being lost to humanity
Blog: View Blog (3)
WatsonIntegza liked this post


Re: What is Sound ?

Postby zetreque on December 17th, 2015, 7:25 pm 

I'd also suggest more visuals which the entire first half of the video is really lacking but second half does well. It's easy to tune out when someone is just talking into the camera despite you trying to be entertaining. Voiceover on the demo diagrams is the best way to keep people's attention over talking into the camera.
User avatar
zetreque
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 3663
Joined: 30 Dec 2007
Location: Paradise being lost to humanity
Blog: View Blog (3)
Integza liked this post


Re: What is Sound ?

Postby Integza on December 18th, 2015, 6:36 am 

zetreque » December 17th, 2015, 7:25 pm wrote:I'd also suggest more visuals which the entire first half of the video is really lacking but second half does well. It's easy to tune out when someone is just talking into the camera despite you trying to be entertaining. Voiceover on the demo diagrams is the best way to keep people's attention over talking into the camera.


I have to say that you pointed out some interesting things,you're right.
When i do videos for people who are really trying to learn concepts i should go straight to the point, so i'll work on that in my next one. In this one though, the audience is pretty young so the idea was to catch their attention with childish humour.

Thanks for the input !
Integza
Forum Neophyte
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 16 Nov 2015
zetreque liked this post


Re: What is Sound ?

Postby zetreque on December 18th, 2015, 7:21 am 

Your video reminded me more of people like vihart and get smarter every day guy on youtube. I'm not a big fan of either of those guys, but they reach a large audience. I'm more of a sixty symbols, periodic table of elements aka Brady Haron type of fan. Your real test will be in seeing how your target audience reacts.

On a personal note. I love sound, but also in the future if you teach about sound, see if you can include something about noise pollution. Sound is powerful and can cause harm and be annoying to people so people need to learn to have respect and consideration for others around them when creating sound. Especially moving forward into a more populated future of close quarters. Good luck. :)
User avatar
zetreque
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 3663
Joined: 30 Dec 2007
Location: Paradise being lost to humanity
Blog: View Blog (3)
Integza liked this post


Re: What is Sound ?

Postby Watson on December 18th, 2015, 1:59 pm 

Kind of like I said. But genius is hard to hear through the muffle of the mundane, or the whisper of the whiffle-wind. We should have a group meeting
User avatar
Watson
Resident Member
 
Posts: 4619
Joined: 19 Apr 2009
Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.



Return to Science Fun

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests